Problem nails - please help x

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So after having had my nails extended on and off for about 12 years now and being qualified for 6 i have never come across this problem EVER.

I have a client who used to always have acrylics done by a friend but her friend would take 3 hours (how????) to do them!!! My client complained about how long it took and how thick and bulky they were!
So she found me and inquired about gels.

I assessed her nails and we agreed that gel extensions were the way forward.
she was over the moon with the results, the feel of them, the look of them and how quick it took in comparison.
I have since been round and refilled and all were fine.

I use CND brisa lite sculpting gel.

Amanda contacted me a couple of days ago to say that her nails were starting to lift, she had lost one and that it feels tender and slightly 'bruised'.

Looking at the picture shes clearly forced the nail off slightly but it doesnt really explain the 'bruising'.

Has anyone else ever come across this? or have any small explanation for this?
I know she has just started a new round of steriod injections for arthritis and is on medication for it too and wondered whether there is an imbalance of hormones or something?
I dont use any electric tools - i know this can be common.
To blend the extension tip i use blender liquid to breakdown the tip slightly making blending easier, quicker and more gentle on the nail.

Please can someone help??????:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

and to top it off she wants me to go and have a look and see if we can remove them all and apply a new set. - i dont think this is a good idea because they are tender and the heat from the lamp will no doubt hurt.
Should i just remove and advise that she lets them settle down first??

Definitely sounds like her medication is affecting her nails, if you think she's picked and prised her nail off then her nail plate will feel bruised, personally I'd find a nail tip that you wouldn't need to use tip blender on (old school geek here, I see no need for this product as most nail tips are easy blend) I use CND velocity tips when using brisa lite sculpting gel, with a half well as they only need a few swipes with a file to blend them in :)

Drill into your client the importance of aftercare and note any changes to her medication on her record card... :) xx

Tiptop, thanks very much for the reassurance.
I also use ibd just gel and in the problem solving part of the user guide it has a section that says medication can cause a chemical imbalance and change the chemistry int he nail bed.

Also do you think i should refuse to reapply a new set?
If the nails are thin and tender then surely applying a new set will not help?

Thanks for the advice on velocity tips. I havent used them myself before BUT i know my nail technician i used to use, used these.

I look forward to your response.
thanks again

Personally IMO any nail coating gel or acrylic on her nails is better than nothing, the temptation to some clients when they see lifting is to pick at it, I advise my ladies to apply solar oil if they feel the need to pick and encourage them to come back to sort out the lifting, explain to your client the reasoning behind her lifting and that she needs to work with you if she wants gorgeous nails that last, tailor a maintenance programme for her specific needs, offer her small incentives to keep her coming back :) x

It sounds to me that her nail plates are thin and delicate after wearing bulky enhancements. Any gel, however good the quality, does have a little bit more shrinkage than L&P. this is probably what is causing the 'bruised' feeling. Maybe a good L&P is better.

I agree that tip blender is not ideal for anyone. Also, I suggest you read Doug Schoon about the effects (or lack of) medication.

Latest posts

Back