Problem with 1 nail and Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yadagi

Reaction score
Hi all, hope you are all enjoying the lovely weather today here in the south of the UK...

I have a small problem though , and I was hoping you may be able to help.

Last Saturday I shellac'd my own nails using Gotcha, and this was my first attempt after my 1-2-1 so I was feeling confident.

2 days later the middle finger of my left hand chipped off, so the following day , Tuesday I removed it and re Shellac'd .

Today 3 day's later it has re chipped again!! All the rest of my nails are fine , and apart form one which has slightly faded at the free nail edge , the are all looking good.

I re- Shellac'd again today but have noticed a creamy look to the nail , and also my nail is aching ??

I did my PEP , sealed the free edge as well as I could, used Scrub fresh and scrubbed the nail well and removed using D-sperse.

Any ideas where I am going wrong please ?

Last edited:
could you be a little more specific, as in step 1, 2, 3...

How long is your nail? When you say you noticed a creamy look, is this on your natural nail or the shellac colour?

Sorry , I should have said , that I removed the chipped nail with 100% acetone, it came off pretty easily.

I scrubbed the nail with Scrub fresh and under the free edge as well.

Ix coat of base , swiped over free edge, cured 10 sec's, 2 x coats of Gotcha, swiped over the free edge cured for 120 sec's each coat, only the one finger in the lamp though!

Then top coat , sealed free edge and cured 120 sec's.

I D- spersed and about an hour later noticed the milky look in the enamel , not the nail plate.

I also worried as my nail feels sore. Could it be because I have done 3 lots of
Shellac in the space of a week on the same nail?

My nails are mid length .

Last edited:
trying to upload a pic to show you , hope it works !

Attachments

• IMG_3157.jpg
    IMG_3157.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 205
What the heck! I honestly have no freaking clue. Have to wait for Geeg or someone to advise. Sorry!

LOL, that's what I thought too!!!

Can you see it clearly ?

The thing that is worrying me though is the achy pain in my nail plate , and under the free edge !:-(

LOL, that's what I thought too!!!

Can you see it clearly ?

The thing that is worrying me though is the achy pain in my nail plate , and under the free edge !:-(

It's sore UNDER the free edge? Maybe you're somehow getting product under the free edge and it's not curing, so you're becoming over-exposed.

Seems like the first chip may have been a fluke. And the subsequent applications may not be curing well. If you're only putting the middle finger into the light, I wonder if you're able to put the nail in far enough to cure completely?

As for your nail being sore, I was wondering if you'd bumped your nail or something to make it weak. I've had a client with the same problem. One nail would chip out of 10. But, for some reason, that nail was super weak and thin, and it would bend, and split from under the free edge.

That's all I got! :o Maybe Geeg can help!

Now I think Amber could have hit the nail on the head here regarding curing.

When doing even just one finger as you have, the whole hand needs to go into the lamp to ensure full curing.
The bulbs in your lamp are strategically placed to ensure this and the 'guides' in the lamp encourage correct finger placement, so by putting just one finger in the lamp it will not be in a good position for proper curing.

Did you bump you're nail which caused the chip the first time around and now its just recovering. With all the additional treatment could that be why its still a bit sensitive.

For the couple of my clients who have weak and flaky nails I've found the best way to sort them out it to do an extra top coat, either to all nails or just the ones they have problems with. This usually makes them get the full 2 weeks without problems whereas they could only go 1 week or a max of 10 days before they look pretty bad.

Karaxxx

Thank you so much ! I did actually bend the nail back while tucking in a cover on my sofa yesterday , so that must be why it was sore !!! It actually feels a bit better this afternoon :)
And possibly it is that my hand was not entirely in the lamp, which caused the milky effect .
Kara , thanks for the advice on the 2 coats of top coat . I didn't know that it was ok to do that . Do you apply the 2 top coat layers thinner than normal to prevent over build up , as I find when
I apply top coat is goes on thicker than the base and colour layers ? .

Last edited:
The top coat is always thicker than the base but I just apply it as normal, so no thinner.

Its not a technical CND recommended thing just something that works for me and my clients. However, CND do say that you can add another layer ie: mother of pearl making 4 coats in total and this was how I found out that 4 layers helps problem clients, so I wouldnt think they would say dont do it.

Karaxxx

Thank you so much Kara , I don't remember seeing that anywhere . I will give it a try as I am finding my nails are showing some wear at the free edge as well !
Also I tried a coat of Gotcha and one of Negligee but found the pink seemed a bit patchy on all the nails , didn't think I could do 2 coats and one of Negligee before the top coat !!

Latest posts

Back