Problem with my Employer

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pennijar

Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you would give me some advice, as you know I work for a charity cutting toe nails for the over 50's, please excuse the next part but I feel a bit of background is needed before I air my problem.

Each client on their first visit pays for a nail kit which contains a pair of toe nail cutters, a metal file and a long round file (I think it is called a Rhalls file if wrong I stand to be corrected) for filing into the corners and removing gunk. Once the tools have been used on the client they are theirs to keep and bring back to each appointment each set is only used on the same client, we are not able to sterilise them as we have no way of doing so the only cleansing products we are given to use are skin cleansing wipes and Alcohol hand rub, I have never been happy with this and I have tried to have my say but have always been told that this is all we need, my collegue who works in another area doesn't even have running water in her clinic, and when mine moves I won't have either. This I have been told is not a Health and Safety issue as long as we use the products provided like hell it isn't.

Ok now for the nitty gritty of my post, today I have been informed that the service is being extended to include finger nail cutting, wait for it using the self same pedicure tools that we have just used or have previously used to cut their toe nails (would you fancy trying to cut finger nails with toe nail clippers) I know I don't and my poor collegue had never done nails before she got this job, she had 1 days shadowing a podiatrist an exam and a 1 day course in theory I told my boss (who admits that she knows nothing about nails herself) that finger nails should be filed and not cut and metal files should not be used and that in using the same tools we could spread infections from the toe nails to the finger nails. In answer I was told that I was not qualified to tell her what to do the Prodiatry Dept had told her this was fine.

So my NVQ level 2 in Nail Services counts for nothing, nor does my knowledge of Contra Indications etc etc. I nearly walked out there and then, but as things stand I can't afford to. It is wrong oh so wrong but I don't honestly know what I can do, I pride myself on doing a good and thorough job as hygenically as possible, and I am really worried about my own reputation and I really do not want to do what I am being ordered to do if I go higher I risk losing my job as it will be seen as going over her head. I am not a happy bunny, I am between the devil and the deep blue sea and I don't know which direction to take. Any ideas? Best of all has anyone got a job I can have?

Joan

As far as I'm aware a Podiatrist doesn't have much to do with anything above the feet, so is in no position to comment on what will affect the hands.

It sounds like this woman needs to be told by someone in authority who she perceives (sp) to be knowledgeable and important. I would suggest you get in contact with the Infection Control department of your local NHS Trust and ask them for written advice or get them to contact the woman and tell her to stop risking infection in vulnerable adults (used to work for the NHS, I know all the terminology). The Infection Control Nurse may have a department of their own or be attached to Microbiology.

Hope this helps

You think that's bad?

Whilst working in a an elderly mentally ill residential unit prior to nurse training... which there is NO WAY I would do now...

... all the residents had a Gillette razor in a soft pouch... with their name on it...

.. we had to shave the males daily. When the blades ran out MANAGEMENT told us we had to use others blades and none of the razors went back into the correct holder.

The dentures were SHARED - can u believe that? Elderly people (seriously extreme mentally ill patients/majority could not speak/extremely violent) with different peoples dentures in - two people in one room would have their dentures soaked TOGETHER (if they were lucky enough to have the denture tablets)

BUT when their relatives came to visit.... it was a whole different story.

What is it with the treatment of elderly?

That's absolutely disgusting treatment of vulnerable adults. Was this a private care home?

I worked in Mental Health and Learning Disability Services for the NHS for several years and that kind of treatment would not have been tolerated, I know the NHS gets things wrong from time to time, but care of the elderly and mentally ill is always high on the agenda. Our Infection Control Nurse would have had people hanged for that kind of behaviour and made more than one person cry for having poor hygiene standards on the wards.

That's absolutely disgusting treatment of vulnerable adults. Was this a private care home?

I worked in Mental Health and Learning Disability Services for the NHS for several years and that kind of treatment would not have been tolerated, I know the NHS gets things wrong from time to time, but care of the elderly and mentally ill is always high on the agenda. Our Infection Control Nurse would have had people hanged for that kind of behaviour and made more than one person cry for having poor hygiene standards on the wards.

This is a private residential home - the most violent cases are here and basically abandoned due to them being unable to be placed anywhere else. It is one of three in the same locality, and I had the displeasure of working in them all whilst on agency.

I could not work there any longer, I was broken hearted going home.

* One resident who had an aortic aneurysm (manic depression/onset of dementia) and was also incontinent... refused water. Reason: would wet herself 'intentionally and we will have to clean it up'. Social workers were told she was extremely violent blah blah blah - this woman was lovely. She is dead now God rest her soul and her last years were a living hell.

I was severely b******ed by a huge ogre thug member of care staff (NOT an RMN, RGN) for sneaking Evian water to this lady.

* One resident paralysed. Had bedsores bigger than my fist... was tipped from a wheelchair into a bath, banged his head and went under.

And this goes on in even the 'poshest' homes in the wealthiest areas.

As this has now wandered away from the subject originally posted, it may as well be closed.

I really thought I might have had a few more replies with some of your fantastic ideas or solutions, but obviously not so please close it

Joan

Pen, don't be disheartened but i think youknow the answer to this question already:
1. Its an ethical issue - you either stand by you resolve or you do as you Boss wants you to do. We have all had issues where our expertise is ignored in favour of the hierarchy.
2. its a moral issue. Well the way around it would be for yourself to source out a bulk purchase of cheap files and either present these prices to your boss or pay for them yourself.

I understand that you are against their practices and are not in a financial position to walk away. So your only choices involves you finding a solution to the problem yourself or going with what you have been directed to do by your Boss.

I am sure geeks will reply to this thread but i am afraid they are all to familiar.

JMO - i would buy the files myself but thats just me.

Good luke hun
x

Have you considered purchaseing your own wet disinfectant tray, at least then you could sanitize the implements before returning them to your clients.
Also perhaps if you did the manicure first and then did their pedicure you wouldn't be cross-contaminating the fingernails with problems on the toenails.
I think it would be a small price to pay for your peace of mind!
HTH!!!

Pen, don't be disheartened but i think youknow the answer to this question already:
1. Its an ethical issue - you either stand by you resolve or you do as you Boss wants you to do. We have all had issues where our expertise is ignored in favour of the hierarchy.
2. its a moral issue. Well the way around it would be for yourself to source out a bulk purchase of cheap files and either present these prices to your boss or pay for them yourself.

I understand that you are against their practices and are not in a financial position to walk away. So your only choices involves you finding a solution to the problem yourself or going with what you have been directed to do by your Boss.

I am sure geeks will reply to this thread but i am afraid they are all to familiar.

JMO - i would buy the files myself but thats just me.

Good luke hun
x
I agree, I know that you need this job and therefore the cost of files would enable you to feel better about what you are doing. I do hope things improve for you soon:hug:

Firstly, I wouldn't be worrying too much........Get yourself a bottle of Cool Blue to sanitize the feet and hands. Wash your implements and files between foot and hand treatments in hot soapy water and then spray with chlori spray to sanitize the tools for each of the clients. You say there is no running water in the clinic you are moving to.......where is this clinic......in the middle of the Sahara. It is an employers responsibility and law to provide a rest room with running water for their employees.
David

Latest posts

Back