Problems with acetone

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I have a regular client that has gel polish removed and reapplied in the salon but the last few visits she has complained that her nails are sore with the wraps on, tender to touch after and I have actually noticed the corners of her nails are curling under.

The nails seem to uncurl when they come out of the acetone and are cleansed but still hurt.

Does anyone know why this happens?

Can it be she developed an allergy? I suggest her being tested for one

Sounds like she may have developed a sensitivity to acetone.
It would be interesting to see if she gets the same discomfort from:
1) removing normal polish with acetone
2) removing normal polish with non-acetone remover

If you find that she is OK with both of the above, the sensitivity might be coming from the 'dissolving' gel polish itself.

Its dehydration. She should increase the amount of times she oils her nails and you could oil them before you remove them too.

This sounds like her nails have been over buffed and are dramatically thinner, When the nail plate is over filed the absorption of acetone will change the shape of the nail plate and when the wraps are taken off the acetone evaporates and the nails take there former shape.

If you are buffing the nails before every application this will be your problem :)

Happens to me too. Change products to a difference soak off solution and I would avoid pure acetone , I found after so many years of salon work my own nails ache like mad in acetone so soak off is somehow different .

I can't even touch acetone to remove other clients nails so that is why I use the pre pared foil wraps I just use Mensa pump
Bottle and apply soak off to the foil prepped and wrap the nail, never have to touch acetone again.
Perhaps your client nails is over soaked meaning your cotton wool it over saturated and excess product is getting on her skin.

Another alternative is stems off nails. It's a machine and you put acetone in the container and it steams and I can use that without any problems funny enough.!

According to Doug Schoon it is isn't possible to have a true allergy to acetone as it is something our own body produces. It is more likely, as Noreen says, that the nails are thin and become misshaped when they absorb the acetone and that is why they are uncomfortable.

Thank you everyone. I will try using a less harsh soak off solution.

According to Doug Schoon it is isn't possible to have a true allergy to acetone as it is something our own body produces. It is more likely, as Noreen says, that the nails are thin and become misshaped when they absorb the acetone and that is why they are uncomfortable.

I disagree, the natural acetone we produce is not the same as a manufactured version secondly if I apply it to my skin my fingers go NUMB! Never mind the nails itself...
when I also touch some gel remover products the skin goes white like I have applied paint to it and burns like fire I wash and it won't come off I have to use a nail file and FILE my fingers till the white powder comes off, it starting to happen when using acetone as well.
And apparently according to Doug you don't have allergies, perhaps my body is different ...

Over exposure , and the other hand of mine has no issues and the pinkie and ring [emoji183] finger only my three working fingers so it IS most defiantly over exposure. I wear gloves now constantly and have tried to do less nails and more facials etc ..

Latest posts

Back