Problems with acrylics

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sophielou81

Reaction score
Hi!

I only recently qualified, and have started my own business. I am having no problems with the gel, in fact I love it! But I am having trouble with acrylics... they keep lifting, and the finished effect isn't that great looking. Can anyone advise on what I might be doing wrong please... I have quite a few bookings for acrylics over the next few weeks, including some infills and I am terrified of doing it wrong!

Thanks so much!

Sophie

i think we need a bit more info!
what products do you use?
step by step on how you applied?
tips?
sculpts?
natural overlay?
did u prep?
were did u train?
x

i think we need a bit more info!
what products do you use?
step by step on how you applied?
tips?
sculpts?
natural overlay?
did u prep?
were did u train?
x

I trained with uk training solutions, it was an intensive course, only 1 week long and included gels, fibreglass, manicures and everything so think maybe we were a bit rushed....
I use salon systems for the acrylics, I start off by preping the nail with a white block, then a thin layer of primer, then I use the brush soaked in monomer and partially wiped off to pick up medium sized ball for the smile line, large ball for stress area and small ball for cuticle. I use the "belly" of the brush to spread the acrylic around each area, and finish by gently stroking it towards the free edge. Sometimes I have trouble with the proportions of monomer to polymer but hope that will improve with practice!! I finish by buffing it smooth and applying top coat. I am careful to push the acrylic to the edges of the nail and cuticle without actually touching them and keeping those areas thin. I am sure I am doing everything the same way that we learnt, but I am not happy with the finished result and they don't seem to last :-( xx

I trained with uk training solutions, it was an intensive course, only 1 week long and included gels, fibreglass, manicures and everything so think maybe we were a bit rushed....
I use salon systems for the acrylics, I start off by preping the nail with a white block, then a thin layer of primer, then I use the brush soaked in monomer and partially wiped off to pick up medium sized ball for the smile line, large ball for stress area and small ball for cuticle. I use the "belly" of the brush to spread the acrylic around each area, and finish by gently stroking it towards the free edge. Sometimes I have trouble with the proportions of monomer to polymer but hope that will improve with practice!! I finish by buffing it smooth and applying top coat. I am careful to push the acrylic to the edges of the nail and cuticle without actually touching them and keeping those areas thin. I am sure I am doing everything the same way that we learnt, but I am not happy with the finished result and they don't seem to last :-( xx

Oh, and I do it with tips and as natural overlay, neither seems to be any better, but I don't dehydrate the tip! And I am careful to keep dust off of the nails and away from my pots of products! x

Hi sophie. Are you removing any none living tissue (cuticle) from the nail plate prior to removing shine? Also if you are working a little too wet can cause lifting issues along with being to thin too thick.

It's hard at first to maintain a good routine, I would maybe suggest trying to use a better product if you can such as one of the top 5 companys ( do a search on here) if you have good products it helps .

Ensure your nail is dry before applying your bead and make sure your pressing correctly around z3 (cuticle area) so it really creates a bond.

Pm me if you need anymore help Hun. Your on the right track by being on here,,, good luck hunnie xx

Hi sophie. Are you removing any none living tissue (cuticle) from the nail plate prior to removing shine? Also if you are working a little too wet can cause lifting issues along with being to thin too thick.

It's hard at first to maintain a good routine, I would maybe suggest trying to use a better product if you can such as one of the top 5 companys ( do a search on here) if you have good products it helps .

Ensure your nail is dry before applying your bead and make sure your pressing correctly around z3 (cuticle area) so it really creates a bond.

Pm me if you need anymore help Hun. Your on the right track by being on here,,, good luck hunnie xx

Thank you!! I am removing the cuticle, but I think maybe it's down to being too wet, I am having real trouble getting the balance right! I'll just have to keep practising, and switch to a better brand like you said. These are the products we trained with, and we learned removals at the end of the week so really had no idea whether we'd done it properly or not because we didn't keep them on long enough for them to fall off anyway!!! And what exactly do you mean about pressing correctly around z3, would you mind explaining the technique please? xx

Yes ofcourse , when you place your 3rd bead on your nail plate let it rest for a couple of seconds, then start by angleing your brush so as it's kinda like you are writing iygwim and gently press your bead towards the eponychium and then gently pulling back towards z2 feathering it slightly over your z2.

Remember to leave a small margin around your lateral side Walls and your eponychium as if it touches it will lift and try and keep it thin but not too thin and if you think you are working to wet just release more liquid prior to picking up your bead. Your bead should resemble orange peel effect and not be too shiney, pick your bead up and watch it , what does it do ?? Can you see it absorbing your monomer? Count to 3 after you have picked your bead up to ensure it is ready if it's to wet do it again , it should be easy to work with not to hard, or runny,, kinda creamy.

Good luck sweetie I hope I make sense lol

Yes ofcourse , when you place your 3rd bead on your nail plate let it rest for a couple of seconds, then start by angleing your brush so as it's kinda like you are writing iygwim and gently press your bead towards the eponychium and then gently pulling back towards z2 feathering it slightly over your z2.

Remember to leave a small margin around your lateral side Walls and your eponychium as if it touches it will lift and try and keep it thin but not too thin and if you think you are working to wet just release more liquid prior to picking up your bead. Your bead should resemble orange peel effect and not be too shiney, pick your bead up and watch it , what does it do ?? Can you see it absorbing your monomer? Count to 3 after you have picked your bead up to ensure it is ready if it's to wet do it again , it should be easy to work with not to hard, or runny,, kinda creamy.

Good luck sweetie I hope I make sense lol

That makes complete sense, thank you so much!! I'm going to do mine tonight so I'll see if there's any improvement!! x

That's good hun,, makesure you know the correct technique and practise it until you perfect it.

If you need any more help hunnie just ask,, goodluck let us know how you get on.

Thank you, I will! xx

hi just reading through your post i am also quite new to acrylics and was trained using the same products as you, im a qualified hairdresser and am introcucing acrylic nails in the salon that i work with so i really want to make this work!...i too feel as though im not entirely happy with my end result (although i am a perfectionist!) i have been practising on family and have sometimes found lifting :( im wondering if maybe the product just isnt very good as i cant think of anything i am missing out from training...i also find it hard to get the line nice and smooth near the cuticle does anyone have any tips?xx

i think using a really good L+P is essential to producing great enhancements!!
i use CND and have never had any problems! its soo easy to use and really easy to get a perfect bead/ball every time! and the way it sets is good to! i think with some of the cheaper products it can stay sticky for ages and almost be like chewing gum! i trained with and still use CND and found it fab to train with i picked it up so easily!
if your doing nails just for fun then stick with the stuff you use but if your serious about it id change sooner rather then later! x

i think using a really good L+P is essential to producing great enhancements!!
i use CND and have never had any problems! its soo easy to use and really easy to get a perfect bead/ball every time! and the way it sets is good to! i think with some of the cheaper products it can stay sticky for ages and almost be like chewing gum! i trained with and still use CND and found it fab to train with i picked it up so easily!
if your doing nails just for fun then stick with the stuff you use but if your serious about it id change sooner rather then later! x

Thank you, I think I will try another brand. I went into my supplier today but they only stock salon systems and asp, where can you get the CND from? x

Thank you, I think I will try another brand. I went into my supplier today but they only stock salon systems and asp, where can you get the CND from? x

CND is stocked by Sweet Squared but you need to be trained by them to be able to buy it. Speak to them on 0845 210 6060 to see what your options are.....

Ok, thank you! Can anyone recommend any good brands that I don't have to train with?

All "good" brands require training to learn their mix-ratios and quirks.
Any brand that doesn't.... makes me wonder how good it really is?
Taking shortcuts always ends up costing more in the long run. Getting it done right the first time is always cheapest/cost effective.

hth's
:hug:

Latest posts

Back