Problems with gel removal + reapplication!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketqueen

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have recently begun renting space at a hair salon doing mostly gel-polish manicures - no problems with that, which I am happy about! Have gotten some great feedback from clients about the longevity of their gel-polish manis. I am however having some issues with gel nail overlays and I am feeling very distressed about it at the moment :(

So, I decided to go ahead and purchase a pot of clear building gel by the brand Bioseaweed Gel - I use their gel polishes and love them. Haven't had any problems with this gel-polish, I actually started using it due to popular request, otherwise I was and still also am using CND, OPI, and Gelish.

I had 2 clients had a gel overlay on their natural nails which they referred to as Bio Gel - I have absolutely no idea what brand it actually is and unfortunately they did not either. They both wanted it totally removed, a service I provided for them, and it took me about 90 minutes to get it off between doing an acetone soak and filing by hand. It was VERY frustrating to get off and required multiple soak sessions! The Bioseaweed Gel I use, by contrast, is very simple and fast to remove, leaving next to no damage done to the nail, with no major filing required.

The problem came about a week or so later in which both clients had nails break. One actually had 4 nails broken :( She went back to her old nail place and had the hard gel reapplied, with tips on the ones that had broken. I was SO upset to hear about this. I think the problem was that she had sustained some damage from having had a hard gel on, and the difficulty I had with removing it. Then when I reapplied my more flexible gel, it wasn't enough to reinforce the nail and prevent the breakage.

My problem going forward is what to do with a situation like this in the future. I am SO hesitant to remove gel from other salons due to the time and frustration of getting it off, not knowing what the state of the nail is underneath, and if the nails can withstand application of a different product. I don't want to turn away business as I have only recently started my beauty business in the salon I am renting from. But at the same time, I don't want unhappy clients thinking that I have ruined their nails :( I believe the client that went back to her original salon was happier overall with their work, which is fine, but I really hope she doesn't think I ruined her nails.

Can anyone give me some advice? I would really appreciate your time!!!

My advice when you have a client who already has nail enhancements on is to only offer to file them down a little and rebalance them. Do not offer to remove as you've no idea what you're working with and any problems, the client inevitably blames you for. :(

Even if the client is adamant it's Shellac or Gelish or whatever, make that your policy and it will stop you having to deal with these types of problems. win:win

Latest posts

Back