Problems with ombré and Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have tried the Sam biddle White and unfortunately it is a shimmer [emoji20][emoji85]

Really! Wow, thanks for the heads up, it'd be really peeved if I'd ordered it, thank you!! :D

I have 2 clients that are desperate for baby boomers with gel polish but I've never found gel polish to blend well with a brush and does it do it well a sponge and if so how do you prevent it touching the skin?

However.. The colour shack do a matte pastel pink (a couple of different shades too!) I do my two coats of white then ombre blend the pink pigment from the cuticle then top coat and get the baby boomer that way x

I have 2 clients that are desperate for baby boomers with gel polish but I've never found gel polish to blend well with a brush and does it do it well a sponge and if so how do you prevent it touching the skin?

I've used liquid latex with a big sponge, and/or small bits of sponge so I don't get it on skin.

However.. The colour shack do a matte pastel pink (a couple of different shades too!) I do my two coats of white then ombre blend the pink pigment from the cuticle then top coat and get the baby boomer that way x

Can you link to the matt pastel pink, all the pinks ive got are shimmer too.

Trinity yes of course I will link it Monday, it says the seller has no items as they 'close' the eBay shop of a weekend [emoji58] so will do it Monday for you x

Trinity yes of course I will link it Monday, it says the seller has no items as they 'close' the eBay shop of a weekend [emoji58] so will do it Monday for you x

Thank you lovely :D

Trinity, the vast majority of coloured cosmetics, including all nail products get their colouring from a combination of pigments, dyes and mica.
Anything containing mica will have a degree of shimmer, no way around it, and manufacturers use it because it gives a silkiness and slip to the additives meaning it's easy to use and the formula remains relatively thin, or the powder is easy to use.
The only straight forward way to make pure white colours, like white acrylic powder, or pastels without shimmer is to use Titanium Dioxide. Compared to mica though, it's a little sticky, clumpy, hard to use and very thick in formulas. If I mention Cream Puff Shellac, you'll understand exactly what I mean- that's what makes it white, and what makes it a PITA to work with, and why no white nail polish on the planet stays gloop free after 2 uses lol

But if you want a pure white additive to use alone and to mix other pigments that are matt or have no shimmer, then TO is what you need. (I used to manufacture cosmetics and now I just make soap :) )

I get mine here:

http://www.thesoapkitchen.co.uk/acatalog/titanium-dioxide-white-mineral-pigment.html

It's very cheap wherever you buy it, but shipping from this company is steep if all you want is an 85p jar of powder :)

I have also used this company on ebay, item no 140449196840

MSDS are available from both sources. HTH x

Trinity, the vast majority of coloured cosmetics, including all nail products get their colouring from a combination of pigments, dyes and mica.
Anything containing mica will have a degree of shimmer, no way around it, and manufacturers use it because it gives a silkiness and slip to the additives meaning it's easy to use and the formula remains relatively thin, or the powder is easy to use.
The only straight forward way to make pure white colours, like white acrylic powder, or pastels without shimmer is to use Titanium Dioxide. Compared to mica though, it's a little sticky, clumpy, hard to use and very thick in formulas. If I mention Cream Puff Shellac, you'll understand exactly what I mean- that's what makes it white, and what makes it a PITA to work with, and why no white nail polish on the planet stays gloop free after 2 uses lol

But if you want a pure white additive to use alone and to mix other pigments that are matt or have no shimmer, then TO is what you need. (I used to manufacture cosmetics and now I just make soap :) )

I get mine here:

http://www.thesoapkitchen.co.uk/acatalog/titanium-dioxide-white-mineral-pigment.html

It's very cheap wherever you buy it, but shipping from this company is steep if all you want is an 85p jar of powder :)

Wow! What a fabulous reply, you're brilliant, thank you. I have ordered the eBay one, my clients will be super happy and I'll be calm having finally fulfilled their request, nothing bugs me more than not being able to do something a client asks for.

I bloody lovr this place sometimes :cool::D

Wow! What a fabulous reply, you're brilliant, thank you. I have ordered the eBay one, my clients will be super happy and I'll be calm having finally fulfilled their request, nothing bugs me more than not being able to do something a client asks for.

I bloody lovr this place sometimes :cool::D

Woohoo! Let me know how you get on when you get it... I've learnt all the tips and tricks :)

Use only tiny, tiny amounts at a time and if you mix it with another powder, either grind together with a pestle and mortar, or put in a plastic baggie, seal it and smoosh or rub the life out of it before use.
Otherwise it looks nice, but as soon as you apply you get white streaks all over the nail where it hasn't actually blended, only mixed on the surface!
And if it's really clumpy and 'sticky' I run it through a piece of organza tied over a jar like a sieve to loosen it up a bit.

If you have the red, yellow or black CND Additives though, you should find it behaves just like they do x

Woohoo! Let me know how you get on when you get it... I've learnt all the tips and tricks :)

Use only tiny, tiny amounts at a time and if you mix it with another powder, either grind together with a pestle and mortar, or put in a plastic baggie, seal it and smoosh or rub the life out of it before use.
Otherwise it looks nice, but as soon as you apply you get white streaks all over the nail where it hasn't actually blended, only mixed on the surface!
And if it's really clumpy and 'sticky' I run it through a piece of organza tied over a jar like a sieve to loosen it up a bit.

If you have the red, yellow or black CND Additives though, you should find it behaves just like they do x

Brilliant, thanks for the tips, I will definitely let you know. Now I've got to find the other Geek who was looking for white pigment, i cant remember who it was :oops:

Brilliant, thanks for the tips, I will definitely let you know. Now I've got to find the other Geek who was looking for white pigment, i cant remember who it was :oops:

I do believe it was @asteropi - I tagged both of you in my earlier post suggesting the Colour Shack might be able to help :)

Really interested to hear how you get on, so keep us all posted!

I do believe it was @asteropi - I tagged both of you in my earlier post suggesting the Colour Shack might be able to help :)

Really interested to hear how you get on, so keep us all posted!
Nope it was Haribo, ive just replied to the original post she made linking to this one

I get mine here:

Fantastic!!! I've been looking for white matte pigment [emoji16]
I've ordered the eBay one too.
Thank you so much

I've done a lot of ombré with OPI Gelcolor.... Best suggestion I can give is use half of a triangle sponge then on the flat side you paint stripes of your colors then sponge on but don't squish it down it'll take a few layers. I have a lot of pictures on my blog and Instagram of ombrés I've done. I've even use nail vinyl with it to make ombré mermaid scales.

Latest posts

Back