Problems with salon owner/beautician

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liane

Reaction score
I rent an area in a local hair salon and apart from a few teething problems in the beginning, it has been working well. I only work in the evenings and weekend as I am still employed in the day but am available for plenty of appointment opportunities when I am there.

A beautician has recently joined us and works two days a week. She does waxing, tanning, eyelashes etc but also offers french manicures and pedicures! Franch manicure clients are my bread and butter bookings and the last three I have successfully turned into Shellacers and have return bookings from them.

The salon owner does not think this is a problem as we are both "beauticians" and should share clients. I stressed the point that I am a Nail Tech and not a beautician and as such, I don't offer eyelashes or waxing. Am I being picky? I don't really want to leave where I am but dont think its fair that someone is offering the same services as me and taking potential clients. There is also the fact that if her work isnt that good, people will assume its mine as I am the "nail tech" in the salon. Am I making sense? I'm feeling a bit peed off at the moment and would really appreciate some objective replies!!

In my salon there are 3 nail tech's and 6 stylists. Unless a stylist is requested the nail techs all get first go at a new nail client. If we are all booked up only then would a stylist be given the opportunity at a new nail client. To me it makes sense to be this way as we only offer nails. Sorry you are having trouble

Sent from my PC36100 using SalonGeek

I hope I've read and understood your post right but Im not really sure what the problem is; surely if you're both there at different times there is no "fighting" over the same clients. You offer an evening and weekend service and she offers a weekday daytime service.

I would have thought that this would offer clients good flexibility and in fact you might end up busier because instead of them going elsewhere if she cant fit them in then they could come to you at a more convenient time, say in the evening.

Karaxxx

Hi Liane,
I have to say I agree with you , if you are trying to build up a client base, and build your reputation, I wouldn't want to be fighting over people!! Maybe the salon owner wanted someone there through the day so that's why she allowed someone else? It is a tough industry we work in very "cut throat" at times!! I have had lots of issues through the years! . I can't imagine doing two different jobs like yourself, I find running my Beauty & Nail business is enough as that takes all my energy up and I only tend to work 3-4 very busy days, because I don't like working days that appointments are spread out so it's just busy busy all the time I'm in. Plus the days im off I have books to keep up to date, cleaning of the salon, ordering products and so on... Have you thought about just deicating yourself to doing your nails?? And maybe thinking of going somewhere else that is just yours for rent above a hairdressers, or has separate space that only you go in so all the trade is yours and yours only? I think you will always have problems though if you have a day job aswell as they might see it as not being committed enough, & I don't mean that in a horrible way, by the way, I'm just seeing it from a business point of view like they will. Let me know how you get on, hope everything goes well for you goodluck 

I understand what you are saying...you are a nail tech she is a beautician. Being a nail tech, your clients are your clients and hers are hers, unless the client wants to change. BUT...if you are not there and the beautician can do the shellac then I think you are out of luck. Been there myself, working full time during the day and evenings/weekends at the salon.
I suggest that you have a meeting with the owner and the beautician. Have it written down what you want and that everyone gets a copy with it signed by all. Keep it professional.

Speaking as a salon owner, it would be no use to me to have a nail tech that only works evenings and weekends.
I have clients that want their nails done during the day and part of a beauty therapists job is doing nails.
I can see exactly where the salon owner is coming from.
Clients want appointments at different times and you'll find that they usually stick to the same times so I'm sure you won't lose clients to a therapist who does different hours.
The only problem I see with this situation is there are obviously some days when the owner has nobody to do nails. You only work evenings and weekends and the beauty therapist only works 2 days a week. What happens on the other days of the week?
A salon needs someone there at all times to do all treatments otherwise they may very well lose clients.

I hope I've read and understood your post right but Im not really sure what the problem is; surely if you're both there at different times there is no "fighting" over the same clients. You offer an evening and weekend service and she offers a weekday daytime service.

I would have thought that this would offer clients good flexibility and in fact you might end up busier because instead of them going elsewhere if she cant fit them in then they could come to you at a more convenient time, say in the evening.

Karaxxx

Speaking as a salon owner, it would be no use to me to have a nail tech that only works evenings and weekends.
I have clients that want their nails done during the day and part of a beauty therapists job is doing nails.
I can see exactly where the salon owner is coming from.
Clients want appointments at different times and you'll find that they usually stick to the same times so I'm sure you won't lose clients to a therapist who does different hours.
The only problem I see with this situation is there are obviously some days when the owner has nobody to do nails. You only work evenings and weekends and the beauty therapist only works 2 days a week. What happens on the other days of the week?
A salon needs someone there at all times to do all treatments otherwise they may very well lose clients.

I agree with these posts, and also think that this could work to your advantage. :)
Clients do fall into two distinctive camps, you have the dedicated daytime clients and the after work and weekend clients.
The arrangement the salon owner has now set up should get both of these kind of clients through the door.

The only problem I could see is if the other therapist wanted to work a Saturday.

Thanks for the replies, I can see where you are coming from but still feel I am losing potential clients as if they want a manicure, they have plenty of opportunity to book when I am there, my hours are very flexible although unfortunately I am financially unable to leave my day job at the present to concentrate solely on nails.

The main situation I was referring to was when I had a client last week for Shellac and she had just come out of the beautician's room after having a french manicure on her feet. It just seems to pointless to me, especially when she said she would have her hands and feet Shellaced if she had known! :|

Thanks for the replies, I can see where you are coming from but still feel I am losing potential clients as if they want a manicure, they have plenty of opportunity to book when I am there, my hours are very flexible although unfortunately I am financially unable to leave my day job at the present to concentrate solely on nails.

The main situation I was referring to was when I had a client last week for Shellac and she had just come out of the beautician's room after having a french manicure on her feet. It just seems to pointless to me, especially when she said she would have her hands and feet Shellaced if she had known! :|

Make sure your clients Do know !

Send them out a newsletter with all your information and treatments, you can either post it to them or if you have your clients email addresses on your record cards send an email newsletter.
That way they will have more of a bond with you and will ask for you by name when they book, and will be aware of what products and treatments you offer.

Renting and being an employed are two different things.

I rent the upstairs of a house for my salon. My clients are MY clients. I run my business there. I would flip out if another beauty therapist/nail tech went into the house. I run a full spa upstairs, and it's my business. All I do is hand my landlord a cheque.

I think in this situation, your hands are kind of tied, especially if you're just renting a table? Or is it a room?

Show your clients that you are the better tech by doing amazing work. They'll stick with you.

Latest posts

Back