Product retail

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmoseley07

Reaction score
What product brand does everyone retail? How well do they sell? What do you say to your clients to buy? Do you have samples for them? I don't currently retail but really want to start. However I am possibly the cheapest salon in my area and attract a lot of clients who don't have much money, so I'm worried about bringing in products that my clients cannot afford. What are the best more affordable brands that I can show my clients aswell as a more expensive brand for those who can fork out extra. TIA [emoji4]

I stock L'oreal tecni art and series expert as my low range. Davines as my middle and original an mineral as my high end. I alsonstoxk both ghd and cloud 9. Apothecary87 for the gents.

You will be surprised who will buy retail regardless of how much money they have... I have different price points to suit different budgets and never judge anyone thinking they can't afford it.

The way i sell my retail is "what, why, how" when im using it on my guests.
What I'm using, why I'm using it and how to use it. I pop it on the unit so they can pick it up and have a look. All my products are clearly priced so if they pick up and have a look they will see the price on the barcode at the back. Once they read and see the price if they like the product they will more than likely buy because they will have had time to work out their budget in their head.

Do you remember the scene in Pretty Woman where she's trying to buy a dress but the assistants are rude and dismissive to her because they assume she can't afford it? (Or maybe you're too young to remember that film?o_O)

Don't start from the perspective of what you think they can afford. Even if they haven't much money, it's their choice to make and if on a tight budget, it's nice to sometimes splurge a bit on a luxury product to cheer yourself up.

@Piercednige has the perfect technique that doesn't pressurise the client but gives them enough information to make up their own mind. I think ensuring that the price is clearly displayed is an excellent idea too.

I work freelance so only sell the products I use and can easily buy from the wholesaler.

You have both made perfect sense!! Thank you so much!!!!

Hi guys I'm just bumping this thread in time for Xmas!

I'm looking at bringing in *Moroccan oil shampoo/conditioner/oil.
*Revlon-Unique one leave in conditioner and shampoo combo.
And
* fudge is my low range and doing ok (I think it just looks cheap )

What are your tips on retail ....with a small space and staff terrified of the big sell?

Also is a 30% mark up ok?

How do you deal with clients being able to get some things online for cheaper?

@Piercednige love your idea...I'll use that one!

Brilliant idea! This is the perfect time of year for increasing your income via commission from sales.

Introduce some incentives that will motivate your team.
Also, practice some fun role playing exercises with your staff to help them feel more confident with the idea of selling generally.

Focus on how they're using their professional knowledge and skills to recommend the best products for each individual client to keep their hair salon perfect between visits. Ask them to talk to their clients about managing their hair, suggesting specific products to change up the style if they're going to a party. Start looking out for Xmas gift packs and consider adding small sample bottles or something else to make your packs unique to your salon.

There's lots of good advice online so have a search for 'how to sell hairdressing products' before you plan your campaign.

https://www.phorest.com/blog/sell-more-retail/

Latest posts

Back