'Product Tart' or 'One Stroker?'

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deena

Reaction score
Just for fun/idle curiosity, how many of us are 'Dabblers' or 'Devotionalists' in terms of our nail products/brands?

I can totally understand how when you've trained with a product and continue to be satisfied with it, you'd want to stick with same in terms of ease/cost effectiveness of ordering and general confidence in the brand. After all, if it ain't broke, why fix it? :hug:

However, there's a whole world of products out there. So, that being the case, how many of us would be prepared to give something else a fair hearing/application if it really appealed to us on reading about it/seeing it being demonstrated/consistently good reviews etc? How many of us would dare to dip our beloved 'X' brand applied fingers/toes into a previously unchartered 'Y' brand's product waters?

Those with a vested interest ie actual nail companies, distributors and trainers are very likely to firmly resist/advise against the idea and with very good reason. It is their bread and butter, after all! The rest of us have choices, though. Are we curious enough to try, or happily cautious enough to play it safe?

So, 'Product Tart' or 'One Stroker?' :hug:

I can't wait to see the replies to this thread! :) I myself am a dabbler lol! I think every product deserves a go before branding it as useless or rubbish, I'm a hairdresser and I'm training in nails so I've been reading a lot of the posts on here about brands of gelish etc, I'm really surprised by how much of a bashing people get when they say the brands other than gelish or shellac they use! Seriously! I've been looking at occ range to do gel nails (prepare to be bashed!) as the area I'm catering to is of low income so I need to offer cheaper sets of nails in order to make a profit, I think people who are so against cheaper brands or new products need to get a grip and understand their making huge profits for company's who are already minted! Lower profile brands are still good and they still do research and pass safety tests! Phew! Rant over lmao! X

Hi, I'm a CND girl.

I love their products and can't see me changing brand. However I have invested in the ibx, I would look at other brands for additional treatments possibly but stick with main brand for all my current services.

Nail art! Hmmmm!!! I would like to expand my skills in this area and would consider other brands.

I'm also a Cnd girl. But I'm finding my head is being turned by other brands due to the colours and glitters on offer. But if Cnd released vinylux and shellac in more glitter styles my wandering eye could be kept in line. ;)

Im new in the nail world.

Just recently qualified in manicure and gel application with Crystal Nails.

Ive so far tried 4 different brands and been satisfied with them all.
Jet set
The Edge
Gelish
Crystal nails

My favorite so far is gelish.
But rather curious about trying the other brands out there as well.

X

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I think one the best things you can do for a business is buy the best products you can buy.

I use gelish, I also use CND Retention +
I like The Orly Bonder base coat also Seche Vite top coat. I like OPI nail polish. I also have just started using Vinylux.

Why stick to one brand for all, when you could have the best of everything?

Laura xx

I don't believe in putting all of my eggs in one distributor's basket ;)

I support my authorised distributors for the product ranges I use, which are CND, Gelish and Artistic Colour Gloss and IBX.
I still buy my acrylic brush from EzFlow as the 508 is the best brush for me.

I like to try new products when I feel they will benefit my business and aren't all hype and no substance, using the sage advice of Lynne Baker before buying....will it make the boat go faster !

So I suppose I definitely am a product tart in that I spread my patronage about, but I am also very discerning.

Loving the thread. Be prepared for a bashing tho. However back to the point. I am crystal nails trained. And I recently gone back to nsi as I feel it is more cost effective for my business at the moment. I used to hate nsi as a newbie, didn't feel I could get on with it.But recently I tryed nsi again and I like it. A really nice quick straight forward brand.
Now once I build up enough money and business im switching back to crystal nails. Iurrrve crystal nails. I also use bluesky and ibd gel polishes and I dont care.If I want to try a brand and my clients are happy... I will! At of the day its my " career/business path" and what i I do in my "career/business path" is my business. Bearing mind that as a nail tech we all need to "grow" and trying different brands is the best place to start. You can listen to advice thats been given. As the advice is there to help you. But at the end of day you don't have to feel forced to take it.And should NOT feel to forced to take it. As everyone has different circumstances that come your way. You have do whats right for you and your carrier path! I know i will getting a bashing for this one but I couldn't give a toss . That would be typical salongeek for you who at times talk down to people with there double standards....

Last edited:
It's a free world at the end of the day. I use to use certain products because I like to work with them and always get great results.

But you and any other nail tech may prefer a selection of brands, if you're happy and your clients are. There's no problem.

We all have to do what's best for ourselves. X

I used to be just a CND girl, I tried other products wasn't over enamoured. However, recently I feel some areas are lacking with CND (range of products, colours etc) and have tried a couple of different brands with great success.

That said, even in my CND hayday, I didn't dismiss other products and enjoyed reading up on them and keeping an eye on the reviews on here.

I think that if you find your products with just one supplier then great, if you find yourself using more than one supplier that's also great. . . its whatever best suits your business/clients needs when all is said and done.

What i have found (which may be slightly off topic) I have high expectations of a supplier these days, and chose to use companies that value me as a business. However, if I love a product enough, I can see past the supplier.

Great thread :) xxx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Well I just brought some naio nails neon shimmer and there pastal acrylic powder for 3d nail art

I used opi competition acrylic powders for about 15 years...this year I shopped around and loved the glittery Naio acrylics...but still apply my clear and pink opi over the colours, so best of both worlds...

For gels I have, shellac, gelish. Le Chat, opi... I happily and with no problems use them all.

Thank you all, for your considered and honest replies thus far, and I'd firstly like to say that I didn't put this thread up as an opportunity to bash/exalt any particular brand! Everyone has a choice, which is entirely up to themselves and need to do what is best for them/what they prefer. No problem! :hug:

I trained initially back in the days when CND did their then Foundation course. I was as green as grass where nails were concerned to the point where, until I joined Salongeek, I was scarcely aware of many other brands! Not unhappy with it in the least, I became aware of rather more 'Artistic' nails. They really appealed to me and so I took advantage of Ezflow's coloured/glitter powders. I felt Cnd dragged their heels a bit in this regard and I also tried the other company's l&p for a few months and then hot footed it back to Cnd. Too wet and hard for me, at least.

Since then, I like to keep an open mind. Coverage powders for extending the nail beds became increasingly popular and, after sampling quite a few, I felt I could then make a somewhat more informed choice, purely for myself/my personal preferences. Job done, until/unless something else attracts my attention, bearing in mind I only have to please myself - as I don't work as a nail tech.

A friend of mine, who also happens to a hairdresser (also trained in nails/beauty), wanted to start offering gel polishes quite recently but was alarmed at the projected lack of profit for the outlay on the most well known brands, based on what his competition were charging for the most widely used ones. I am merely relaying his experience here, although I've seen the (very good) results and he opted for CCO. Highly pigmented, goes on a dream and removes fast for a much smaller outlay, he finds, plus his profit margin is obviously much better and, no, his clients haven't suffered any adverse effects. Don't shoot the messenger, here, please! :Scared: What more could he ask? He didn't - and bought into the range.

I think Izzidoll, amongst others, has hit the nail on the head. She doesn't limit herself to one distributor/brand but chooses with discernment based on the needs of her business. It's great if you can find every mortal product you want from one source but, if you can't, don't close your mind to the myriad possibilities out there or be brow beaten or berated for your decision. x

I have long wanted to achieve a little more on the nail art front than flicks, dots and decals. Through this site, I've become aware of Crystal nails in particular and they've reignited my determination to produce better work. Their paints/brushes alone have been a godsend after years of disappointment because I couldn't get lines that were fine enough, no matter what I tried. So, I'm a very happy bunny, for now. I feel I finally stand a chance of producing something halfway decent, but my mind is still open for the future ...... :wink2::D:hug:

Latest posts

Back