PRS and PPL - confused.com!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lola67

Reaction score
Hi

I have recently taken over a salon and the previous owner told me that the PRS music license is all paid up for this year. This week I received a phone call from a company call PPL and today a letter in the post with an invoice for £135 saying I need to pay this as I play music in the salon. I'm really confused as, as far as I'm aware, the salon has never had a PPL license before only a PRS one.

Do you all have both licenses? I have looked online and they seem to be for different things, but I don't understand why, in the 8 years the salon has been trading, no one has been in contact before:?:

Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance

Linds xxx

They are two different licences and I'm afraid you need both. Her second one may have expired so she kept quiet about it!

One gives you rights to the artist and the other to the music.

I got so fed up with all the different info from them - telling me I needed a licence to work from home them finding I didn't and getting a refund etc. I now play licence free on my salon. They call every so often and ask what I play but that's me finished with them!

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

You need both :(

I also play licence free music.

:)

Hi

I have recently taken over a salon and the previous owner told me that the PRS music license is all paid up for this year. This week I received a phone call from a company call PPL and today a letter in the post with an invoice for £135 saying I need to pay this as I play music in the salon. I'm really confused as, as far as I'm aware, the salon has never had a PPL license before only a PRS one.

Do you all have both licenses? I have looked online and they seem to be for different things, but I don't understand why, in the 8 years the salon has been trading, no one has been in contact before:?:

Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance

Linds xxx

If you don't mind me asking, how much is the PRS one?

I've been looking into the idea of playing music but as of yet, not bothered and chosen to not play anything through the confusement.

You definitely do need both of them tho :)

It depends on the size of your premises. The bigger the premises the more it costs - at least that's the case with prs and I assume ppl is the same!

Vic x

Hi

Thank you so much for your replies. Vic is right, it seems to be based on the size of your salon. On my invoice it has how many treatment rooms etc.... I don't know how much the PRS one is as it's already been paid, possibly in the region of £100??? So much money just to have a bit of noodley music playing!! Lol :)

I've been looking into license free music and found a good website selling iChill cd's (we already have a couple in the salon). So I think I'm just going to buy a stack of these and tell them I play license free. Out of interest what license free music do you use? And it's definitly ok to use this and not get landed with some penalty fine?

Thanks again

Linds xxx

Ichill is fine. It is all we use and when they call and ask what we use I tell them and they say that's fine. You can't even listen to a talk radio station in case they play some music!

Vic x

iChill here aswell :)

:)

Hi

Thank you for replies, I have purchased a few more iChill cd's today at the show and shall be making a call tomorrow to PPL to let them know we play license free music. (I'm actually feeling slightly smug about it!!! Lol :))

Linds xx

I had ppl ring me this morning! I've already paid £98 to prs & now their telling me I owe another £80 odd to ppl too! They said I have to wait for my invoice and then cancel it, they apologised for prs not mentioning it, their "sister companies" apparantly, I gave them hell on the phone asking how a sister company could forget to mention the other! Then I asked for the ppl contact details which the person on the phone couldn't give me he said I have to wait for my invoice, I thought it was a scam but it is on the .gov website, I'm cancelling them both now it's cheaper to have a tv!

If you have a tv with an aerial I'm fairly sure you need a tv licence plus prs and ppl licences.

If you use ANYTHING that plays music in your salon you need the licences unless it is licence free music you are playing.
I pods, computers, TV. Anything at all.
They'll get you any way they can!

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Any you need a TV licence so more cost!

Ah I diddnt realise tha lol I thought I could just get a tv licence for £140 odd n b done with it! God they got u all ways! Best look into I chill lol

It depends on the size of your premises. The bigger the premises the more it costs - at least that's the case with prs and I assume ppl is the same!

Vic x

I have a Sunbed shop with 7 Sunbed rooms & 2 Flabelos rooms, & a reception area. Is there an amount payable for each room? The Sunbeds can be wired to music but as I don't play it, I haven't done this as of yet.

May look into license free music if gaining a music license is too expensive!

Music will just make time pass a lot quicker for our customers whilst on Sunbed/Flabelos!

I don't think its payable for each room but more like '3 rooms and above' type thing x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Just for anyone who was wondering like myself, I have just took out a license for both PPL and PRS. I did look into license-free music but as my tanning salon is unisex and has a wide variety of ages from 18 to 70+, I felt the license-free music wouldn't cater to everyone.
Both licenses are needed to play chart show music including local radio. They have a standard price if you have up to 10 rooms and don't want music to be played when phones are on hold.
PRS was around £80 +vat & PPL was around £140 +vat! Can be paid quarterly too which works out a lot better.
Can't believe how high it is for just one year cover but I'm sure it'll be well worth it!

Just for anyone who was wondering like myself, I have just took out a license for both PPL and PRS. I did look into license-free music but as my tanning salon is unisex and has a wide variety of ages from 18 to 70+, I felt the license-free music wouldn't cater to everyone.
Both licenses are needed to play chart show music including local radio. They have a standard price if you have up to 10 rooms and don't want music to be played when phones are on hold.
PRS was around £80 +vat & PPL was around £140 +vat! Can be paid quarterly too which works out a lot better.
Can't believe how high it is for just one year cover but I'm sure it'll be well worth it!

Latest posts

Back