Psoriasis

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linzi

Reaction score
Hi there

I don't think that there's anything that could be done, but if you could suggest anything I would be very grateful.

Y'see my mum's got psoriasis in her nails. It's at the worst stage there is what with onycholisis. Now, I know there is no cure, but is there anything that could be done to make it look a little better?

Any replies are much appreciated!

Linzi

As long as the Onycholysis is minor, here are the steps I would recommend you take.
Avoid Soaking off the nail enhancement, Picking off, or using the tooth removal method.
These techniques can make the condition significantly worse.
Shorten the length of the enhancement.
Quite a bit o Onycholysis is caused by excessive length of the enhancements. The longer the enhancement, the more stress is applied to the nail bed when the enhancement is put under pressure.
Thin down the enhancement
Keep the affected nail clean and pampered
This of course doesn't mean pouring Weed Killer under the nail, or cleaning under the nail with a wire brush. It simply means to keep the are clean from debris and to be conscious of the condition as it grows out.
The client should wear gloves and try to stay out of strong solvents or detergents as these can dry the Bed Epithelium out worsening the condition.
Do not attempt to re-adhere the plate to the bed using Adhesive, Blue tack, or Duct Tape.
The only cure for Onycholysis is time. As the nail plate continues to grow, the condition should gradually get better.
If the condition is chronic, or worsens with time: Refer to a Derm

This is from the arcticle written by GMG, see site stuff, articles for all details ...hth

Thank you louise :)

Latest posts

Back