PTLLS/ Level 3 Award Education and Training

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allyballybee

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend an online/distance learning course?

Thank you. Did you do it online or distance learning?

I did it distance learning but I did have to go into the training centre once to do my micro teach and be assessed. They are brill though as all the way through the course they support you x

I too am very interested in doing this course but I was told to go to college instead. However the price is double the times don't suit me with a young family and business to run. I also worry attending college may be a waist of my valuable time.

My local college do this course at a cost of around £900! Local adult education also do it at £525 but i just received an email today saying they had to cancel it as they didn't have enough people sign up for it! This distance learning course sounds great though, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi ladies

It depends on why your doing the course in the first place as to wether you do online it college based. Is it for teaching experience?

I went to college as I wanted teaching experience and managed to get some volunteered hours through the college teaching hairdressing.

Once pttls was finished I did dttls through the university but by attending college again teaching hours were needed for the course.
I was fortunate that when I attended the course it was funded!

PTLLS and CTLLS are going to be combined within City n Guilds I am at present doing the brand new course (piloting it infact) it cost £800 you need at least 30 hours of teaching practice garunteed before they let you on. Unfortunately I've already done PTLLS as the college didn't tell me that it was going to be combined a month later but hey ho I have a full time job n a part time job and teaching on my what was day off I don't currently have a day off but I'm a determined person :) there are also 6 assignments that go with the course they are around 2000 words they are not that hard but it does require a bit of time,thought and effort hth x x x

PTLLS and CTLLS are going to be combined within City n Guilds I am at present doing the brand new course (piloting it infact) it cost £800 you need at least 30 hours of teaching practice garunteed before they let you on. Unfortunately I've already done PTLLS as the college didn't tell me that it was going to be combined a month later but hey ho I have a full time job n a part time job and teaching on my what was day off I don't currently have a day off but I'm a determined person :) there are also 6 assignments that go with the course they are around 2000 words they are not that hard but it does require a bit of time,thought and effort hth x x x

This makes me want to get on one of the few ptlls courses that are still running before it is entirely phased out because I think it must be so hard to get the teaching experience in terms of being given a chance/finding time to do it. That is to say that I should probably try and get ptlls under my belt before it's extinct if it's the best way to get some sort of preliminary teaching qualification without having to find a placement straight away.

Thanks for the heads up! :)

That is to say that I should probably try and get ptlls under my belt before it's extinct if it's the best way to get some sort of preliminary teaching qualification without having to find a placement straight away.

Thanks for the heads up! :)

That's ok Hun .... Yea it maybe a good idea or wait to do both n pay less for both combined :) it's a hard decision the PTTLS itself isn't to bad the pace is fast n time was needed for the assignments that were needed throughout the course :) hth if you need any other info that you want to know about PTTLS or cttls (now called cert ed) then I'm more than happy to help :) x x

Can anyone tell me which course is sufficient if you only want to be a trainer for a company and not a college?

I've done the Cert Ed, it's equivalent to a level 6. The certificate you receive actual breaks it down into PTTLS, CTTLS and DTTLS. The examining body that mine was from required you to complete 150 hours teaching practise. If you want to work in a further education college run by the local authority they now ask for PTTLS, CTTLS, DTLLS or at bare minimum PTTLS, CTTLS and willing to complete DTTLS within 2 years of taking up the post. They used to accept candidates with no teaching qualifications but that's changed now, which is good.

PTTLS and CTTLS allows you to apply for Associate Teacher Status which qualifies you to teach using pre-prepared course materials. DTTLS allows you to apply for Qualified Teacher Status which also qualifies you to prepare your own course materials i.e. handouts, PowerPoint presentations. ATS is a bit like a teaching assistant, as it was explained to me.

I have to say though, after completing the course I won't be going into teaching!

I've done the Cert Ed, it's equivalent to a level 6. The certificate you receive actual breaks it down into PTTLS, CTTLS and DTTLS. The examining body that mine was from required you to complete 150 hours teaching practise. If you want to work in a further education college run by the local authority they now ask for PTTLS, CTTLS, DTLLS or at bare minimum PTTLS, CTTLS and willing to complete DTTLS within 2 years of taking up the post. They used to accept candidates with no teaching qualifications but that's changed now, which is good.

PTTLS and CTTLS allows you to apply for Associate Teacher Status which qualifies you to teach using pre-prepared course materials. DTTLS allows you to apply for Qualified Teacher Status which also qualifies you to prepare your own course materials i.e. handouts, PowerPoint presentations. ATS is a bit like a teaching assistant, as it was explained to me.

I have to say though, after completing the course I won't be going into teaching!

Awww why not?

I have to say that I'm worried about putting all that time and money into becoming dtlls (or equivalent) qualified and then not being able to find work afterwards. I say this as someone who doesn't want to move into management and doesn't want to be doing entry level beauty jobs for the next few years. So if I can't get a teaching job after dtlls I think I'm going to feel really stuck.

I've also been told that a pgce in secondary education can be a safe bet to open more teaching doors to teach another subject in a secondary school.

Can anyone tell me which course is sufficient if you only want to be a trainer for a company and not a college?

I believe it's just ptlls having looked at some product training job vacancies.

Awww why not?

I have to say that I'm worried about putting all that time and money into becoming dtlls (or equivalent) qualified and then not being able to find work afterwards. I say this as someone who doesn't want to move into management and doesn't want to be doing entry level beauty jobs for the next few years. So if I can't get a teaching job after dtlls I think I'm going to feel really stuck.

I've also been told that a pgce in secondary education can be a safe bet to open more teaching doors to teach another subject in a secondary school.

The PGCE is the same as the Cert Ed, it just depends whether you already hold a degree or not. About half of the students in my class were doing the PGCE and the other half were doing Cert Ed - we all did the same assignments etc. but they were awarded a PGCE equivalent to level 7!
Not really fair if you ask me...

For my teaching practise I had a class of 16-19 year olds. Perhaps my experience would have been different had it been mature students, but I was quite glad to get it over with to be honest lol! :Scared:

Edited to add that PGCE stands for Post Graduate Cert Ed x

I don't want to put anyone off going into teaching by the way :lol: - I just don't think I have it in me to cope with a class full of young girls.

I'm hoping to have some advanced massage courses accredited in the future, perhaps when my little girl is at school

I don't want to put anyone off going into teaching by the way :lol: - I just don't think I have it in me to cope with a class full of young girls.

I'm hoping to have some advanced massage courses accredited in the future, perhaps when my little girl is at school

Lol .....
Yep I have some of those days / I teach yr 9-yr11 ... Principal learning beauty diploma ...
16-19 yr olds Nvq L2 &L3 - the older girls are better as its a career choice, and we only have groups of no bigger than 16 ... But there are days when it's like hitting your head against a brick wall / but for every one of the days there's always something that happens or said to me by a pupil which makes me realise why I'm there !!!

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

Lol .....
Yep I have some of those days / I teach yr 9-yr11 ... Principal learning beauty diploma ...
16-19 yr olds Nvq L2 &L3 - the older girls are better as its a career choice, and we only have groups of no bigger than 16 ... But there are days when it's like hitting your head against a brick wall / but for every one of the days there's always something that happens or said to me by a pupil which makes me realise why I'm there !!!

That's lovely to read :hug:
I was taught by some really passionate, inspirational tutors who I have the greatest of respect for. Maybe it's something that improves with experience (as with most things!) but I think you really need to have a talent for teaching.

I've trained my colleagues in the past when I was senior therapist so I know I can do it... I think I'll leave the young, hormonal girls to you as you clearly have the passion :lol: x

That's lovely to read :hug:
I was taught by some really passionate, inspirational tutors who I have the greatest of respect for. Maybe it's something that improves with experience (as with most things!) but I think you really need to have a talent for teaching.

I've trained my colleagues in the past when I was senior therapist so I know I can do it... I think I'll leave the young, hormonal girls to you as you clearly have the passion :lol: x

Lol ... How funny ... (I was called a b**** by a yr 9 (13yr old) last week, my yr 13 (18yr olds) girls heard her and were disgusted with her, and said that I wasn't, i just said it straight to pupils ) ... I laughed when they told me ... Said I wasn't there to be friends I'm paid to teach ... so couldn't care less if I'm a called a b**** as I'm obviously doing my job keeping her on track with her work and telling her off when needed ... Lol .... !!! ... For every one of those I have another who comes and tells me how much i have supported and helped them gain their full potential and pushed them to get the best out of them ... Their all happy at the end when they get that piece of paper saying their qualified ... And there's soo many who come back to see us to let us know how well they're doing in their jobs.
But I can Imagine that adult learning would be less hassle ... Lol .... Xxxx

Latest posts

Back