Publishing Software?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*Ang*

Reaction score
Hello girls and guys,

Can you tell me how many of you publish your own flyers/price lists etc? Do you think it's worth it to do it yourself or would you rather leave it to the experts? I'm looking into getting started next year going mobile but want to set wheels in motion sooner rather than later. Any tips/advice greatly appreciated :hug:

I personally publish my own as you can have it exactly how you want it (within reason). I had a graphic designer do it for me 3 times and i could never pinpoint exactly what was wrong.

http://www.nailgem.co.uk/pricelist_nov08.pdf

take a look if yourr wanting ideas

Lee

I personally publish my own as you can have it exactly how you want it (within reason). I had a graphic designer do it for me 3 times and i could never pinpoint exactly what was wrong.

Lee

Thanks for the info Lee...I'll take a look at your site for ideas :hug:

Software for the pricelist you mean?? Well apart from the logo itself, all the rest was done in microsoft publisher and then saved as a pdf, really simple to use, just drap and drop images/text etc!

Software for the pricelist you mean?? Well apart from the logo itself, all the rest was done in microsoft publisher and then saved as a pdf, really simple to use, just drap and drop images/text etc!

Thanks again Lee - I guess I'll just have a play around and see what I can come up with :)

good luck - give me a shout if you get stuck!

Lee

Lee

Do you send this pdf to a printers? I love the idea of a coloured background but as I print mine on my own printer it would be too expensive as it would eat up ink cartridges.

Cheers,
Hazel

Do you send this pdf to a printers? I love the idea of a coloured background but as I print mine on my own printer it would be too expensive as it would eat up ink cartridges.

Cheers,
Hazel

Good question Hazel! I hadn't thought of that! I expect it would work out too expensive to use a home printer wouldn't it :irked:

I design my price lists in Publisher and I buy a quality heavy weight silk finish paper and I print them at home on my bog standard HP printer. We do go through a bit of ink but not that much really, depends what colours you are using I guess.

Yes, that's what I do at the moment too. I keep colour to a minimum and tend to use pastel shades so it's cheaper. I used to use a good quality paper but now I've discovered an excellent graphics paper that's almost as thick as card and the printing reproduction is much better with clearer colours and more crisp graphics.

Still, I think over a period of time it would be cheaper to buy a more expensive colour laser printer with lower printing costs than the less expensive inkjet printers whose cartridge costs are horrendous :eek:

Cheers,
Hazel

I've used OpenOffice Draw, www: OpenOffice.org - The Free and Open Productivity Suite (it's a free download) to design flyers and leaflets for Jenny2 on here; I've then printed them out on standard white laser/copier paper from Staples on my HP colour laser printer.

I'd recommend giving OpenOffice a try before shelling out money on software; even if it doesn't do exactly what you want, you'll not have spent out trying it...

Thanks for the info girls...I'll definately check that link out Ruth - I'd rather get something for nothing if it's possible :hug:

Cheers,
Hazel

Yeah £160 it cost me for 5000 copies, they even folded them for me :green: now i gotta do the rounds posting the things with some flyers i got done

For designing flyers I recommend CorelDRAW, but this is a bit more expensive so a cheaper application is Microsoft Publisher.

For printing flyers I have used www.QuattroPrint.com (5,000 double sided full colour glossy A6 flyers are £68 in delivery).

Mat

thanks for the info guys - I've got plenty to work with now :hug:

For designing flyers I recommend CorelDRAW, but this is a bit more expensive so a cheaper application is Microsoft Publisher.

For printing flyers I have used www.QuattroPrint.com (5,000 double sided full colour glossy A6 flyers are £68 in delivery).

Mat

the link didnt work??

I used to use publisher but have taught myself Adobe Photoshop.... so i now use that and i send my newsletters and flyers to be printed by these guys Need Flyers Printing Fast? The UK's Fastest For FSC Flyer Printing, Leaflet Printing, Postcard Printing And Brochure Printing

hth

Jess
xox

ps- this is what i did back in the summer
http://www.salongeek.com/members/sp...icture5265-update-issue-1-summer-08-front.jpg

Photoshop is a fantastic program; for print work like this, illustrator's even better in my opinion (more intuitive to create text with). Both of them together's really the best, but now you're talking as much as $1200 in software!

There's an open source (read:free) photoshop alternative called the gimp. I'd google that and check it out. Very powerful, always free (yes, it's legal :) )

I have done both. first off I started printing my own on coloured card which was ok and I developed it over the years which was great as printing your own gives you the freedom to change whenever you want. Then last year I thought it was time to get a more professional image so got a graphic designer to do something for me. It was good, but cost £450 for the design then the printing was another £300 and I was stuck with the design. That would have been ok, but for the fact the chance of a salon in the High street dropped into my lap and so all my expensive brochures were useless. So now I have gone back to doing my own. I use Serif publishing package which can be got at PC World, Staples etc. It is good but I find that people can't open files if I send them a brochure by email, therefore I use snail mail. I also get loads of my images from which cost from £1 each and are royalty free. I use an Epson printer and get my ink cartridges from www.7dayshop.com - which cost me 99p each and £8.99 for 10. I use www.vistaprint.co.uk for my business cards, vouchers (I use their postcards for this) and thank you cards. All these I get for free and just pay for tax and shipping. There are so many ways to publicise yourself cheaply and professionally. If you want me to post you any of my brochures let me know and then you can see what can be done for very little money, but quite a lot of time, initially. hope this helps. Fiona

Latest posts

Back