Puppy training, help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babychops

Reaction score
Hi geeks, I picked my puppy up yesterday and last night was horrible! I know it's only the first night but he really doesn't like his crate! We bought it so we can put him inside when it's bedtime and when I'm out working. But all he does is howl! It only lasts 10 minutes then all goes quiet but an hour later he's howling again! Iv been getting up every hour and a half and letting him out. Please tell me it'll get better! Lol I'm off to the pet shop today to get some chews that will last ages for when he's in the crate, I feel so bad leaving him when he's crying! 😞

Hi geeks, I picked my puppy up yesterday and last night was horrible! I know it's only the first night but he really doesn't like his crate! We bought it so we can put him inside when it's bedtime and when I'm out working. But all he does is howl! It only lasts 10 minutes then all goes quiet but an hour later he's howling again! Iv been getting up every hour and a half and letting him out. Please tell me it'll get better! Lol I'm off to the pet shop today to get some chews that will last ages for when he's in the crate, I feel so bad leaving him when he's crying! 😞

I know it makes you feel terrible we went through the same with my dog. As hard as it is you have to ignore him if you stand going shhhh or feel bad and take him out for a cuddle he will associate howling with attention. Let him out to pee but ignore him when he howls and he will soon stop. Put an item of old clothing in that smells like you but that you don't mind getting ruined as that can also help. Just double check that where your cage is is warm enough aswell. Training a dog isn't easy but he will learn xxxx

I know it makes you feel terrible we went through the same with my dog. As hard as it is you have to ignore him if you stand going shhhh or feel bad and take him out for a cuddle he will associate howling with attention. Let him out to pee but ignore him when he howls and he will soon stop. Put an item of old clothing in that smells like you but that you don't mind getting ruined as that can also help. Just double check that where your cage is is warm enough aswell. Training a dog isn't easy but he will learn xxxx

I do it ignore him when he howls and he soon stops, is it a good idea to stop him having water after a certain time at night? His cage is in the kitchen and it has underfloor heating. Iv also put a hot water bottle in his cage and a ticking clock, thanks for the advice x

I do it ignore him when he howls and he soon stops, is it a good idea to stop him having water after a certain time at night? His cage is in the kitchen and it has underfloor heating. Iv also put a hot water bottle in his cage and a ticking clock, thanks for the advice x

I'm not sure about that I've never stopped my dog but I take her out last thing at night before she goes in her cage I just make sure she's done the toilet x then the second I wake up she goes out again xxx

Crates can be amazing as long as they are trained correctly. You need him to have good associations with his crate. Feed him in it by hand.
Puppies get so lonely they are used to having all their litter mates round them. It's very scary for them at 1st.
If I foster puppies I get up every 2 hours during the night for the 1st week or 2 to let them out or else some will start going to toilet in the crate.
Put lots of nice blankets in there to keep them warm they will snuggle into them.
I personally would not put a hot water bottle in there as if they chew it it could burst
How old is your pup. If he has just come away from the litter don't let him have chews unattended as they can easily choke.

Let me know if you need any more help. Young pups are bloody hard work. I much prefer older dogs. X

I create trained Darwin when he was a puppy and don't worry, it gets better!

He had settled in about three nights (he's six now so trying to remember lol)

The create quickly turned into his safe place if he wanted leaving alone or next doors kids were screaming. He would take himself to bed if tired. I didn't even have to shut the door!

I didn't give him food or chews in case he choked (though you're still not supposed to and his toy box had a couple in it all the time :/)

Good luck with it and Yey for a new puppy :D

Sent from my Nexus 5 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm just finding it really hard and it's only been 2 days now. He cries so much when I leave and is still crying when I come back. I feel so sick today and I think it's because I'm so worried about leaving him and I got no sleep! He's sleeping peacefully next to me right now but as soon as I put him in the cage and leave he goes crazy! It's horrible! 😞 x

Iv even put a cuddly toy dog in there with him! Lol he does stand right next to it but he just won't settle :-( is there anything else I can put in the cage that will really settle him? I'm tempted to just sleep on the sofa with him tonight! lol x

Crates can be amazing as long as they are trained correctly. You need him to have good associations with his crate. Feed him in it by hand.
Puppies get so lonely they are used to having all their litter mates round them. It's very scary for them at 1st.
If I foster puppies I get up every 2 hours during the night for the 1st week or 2 to let them out or else some will start going to toilet in the crate.
Put lots of nice blankets in there to keep them warm they will snuggle into them.
I personally would not put a hot water bottle in there as if they chew it it could burst
How old is your pup. If he has just come away from the litter don't let him have chews unattended as they can easily choke.

Let me know if you need any more help. Young pups are bloody hard work. I much prefer older dogs. X

Thanks for the advice, what do you do if they are howling/crying in their crate at night? Just ignore them? It's so hard! 😞 x

Ignore it... By going back to them and speaking to them/letting them in it you are reinforcing the behaviour- to them the logic is "oh! If I whine long enough I get out! It's been longer than last time.... Keep whining! Yey! Here she is :D"

Contact Helen - "Doggie Do, Doggie Don't" on Facebook. If you're not local she can still offer advice over the phone :)

Ignore it... By going back to them and speaking to them/letting them in it you are reinforcing the behaviour- to them the logic is "oh! If I whine long enough I get out! It's been longer than last time.... Keep whining! Yey! Here she is :D"

Contact Helen - "Doggie Do, Doggie Don't" on Facebook. If you're not local she can still offer advice over the phone :)

I'm gonna try and not go downstairs and let him out tonight, or maybe just once and that's all lol I feel abit better about it now, I was so stressed out earlier! Lol ok thanks I'll have a look on there now xx

Stay strong! You will feel like the embodiment of evil but it's worth it in the end when puppy feels safe and snug in there when you're out and about! Let us know how it goes...

Congratulations on the new pup.
Can I say, for your sake (and sanity) please stick with it!

We have a 4 week old pug puppy that we licked up at 9 weeks, I was full of hope (and naivety) that she would love her crate. She HATED it!
She screamed, howled, cried , chewed, scratted and through herself at the door. I went down after about 10 minutes of this, sat and waited til she fell asleep in my arms and the. Put her back.. An hour later the same thing. I took her out every hour.
The next day I met with a dog trainer who have me some advice that I hope might help you.
*When are you going to stop going out at 1/2/3/4/5am to let her out. She needs to learn to hold her bladder. Yes there will be accidents, after all she is a baby.
But make sure one side of her crate is soft blankets and a bed, preferably with sides, the other side should be newspaper and puppy pads for toilet ing.

* Make sure you take her into your garden for a wee and poo last thing at night, even if that means waking her up from snuggles on your knee.

* If possible have the crate in a corner or against a wall and cover the other sides with a thick blanket, leaving one side open. This makes the space seem smaller, cosier and less daunting and also more similar to a 'den'.

* Wear an old t-shirt and rub all over yourself to get a good scent on it and place in with her at night.

* Do NOT let her out when she is crying. This makes her think as soon as she cries let her out. If you sit by the crate with her in, wait until she stops then let her out. It's surprisingly how quickly they learn.

* No toys at night. In the day time leave plenty, but at night time a long lasting chew is enough. They need to learn bedtime is for sleeping.

* Try putting her in, in the day time for 30 minutes whilst you are busying around so she can learn that she goes in but also is let out. (Only after stopping whining.)

* Perseverance! After 4 or 5 days with very little sleep I was tearing my hair out and all of a sudden it just clicked.

My pup now loves her crate. It's safe, cosy and her den. It will get better!! Stay strong!!

Stay strong! You will feel like the embodiment of evil but it's worth it in the end when puppy feels safe and snug in there when you're out and about! Let us know how it goes...

I will be strong! Lol Thanks for the help! He's very chilled atm lol x ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1415638714.436332.jpg

Hi Babychops, what breed is your puppy? I have just put a deposit on a little springador boy which I am collecting in a couple of weeks. I have had puppies before and have never used a crate (my whole life and I am now in my 30's), but my mum always trained them. Now it's my turn! I want to try and train without a crate for bedtime by putting a gate up and leaving in the kitchen. Anyone else not used a crate?

Hi Babychops, what breed is your puppy? I have just put a deposit on a little springador boy which I am collecting in a couple of weeks. I have had puppies before and have never used a crate (my whole life and I am now in my 30's), but my mum always trained them. Now it's my turn! I want to try and train without a crate for bedtime by putting a gate up and leaving in the kitchen. Anyone else not used a crate?

He's a huskador. We've gone to bed now and he's in his crate yelping and crying :-( I hope he stops soon, it's horrible to listen to :-( x

Maybe just get rid of the crate, some dogs can be claustrophobic and what you think is them after attention is actually them being terrified. If you left the crate door open but locked him in the kitchen then he can't cause any harm and he might begin to like his cage because he's not forced into it x

Last night was much better, he did howl when we first went to bed but then soon settled down, we went to let him out once in the night, he's starting to like his cage now as he goes in there to play. We give him treats in there and play with him in there as much as we can so he knows it's a fun place to be lol. He even goes to the back door when he needs a wee now! X

That's brilliant! Well done for being strong it's so difficult to leave them because they're like your baby xxx

Latest posts

Back