Query for Canadian nail techs

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SelenaP

Reaction score
hello there, me an hubby are in the process of moving to New Brunswick an i'm wondering about whether i'll have to re train for new qualifications to be able to work over there or get a licence? i have a master nail tech diploma at the mo which I trained for in the UK.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance guys

:D

Licensing, or lack there of varies from province to province. I did a quick Google search and found this for you

Nail Technician: 300 hours
Home Salon allowed

New Brunswick Hairdressers Assn.
299 York
Fredericton, NB E3B 3P2
(506) 458-8087 · Toll free: (800) 561-8087
Fax: (506) 458-1354

Maybe if you search the NB Hairdressers Assoc. on Google you might find an email address to correspond with them if you're not yet in Canada to avoid the huge long distance phone bill. :green:

Hope you enjoy your stay in Canada!

hi noclevername thanks for that - i've emailed the nb cosmetology ass bout three times now an no reply from them as i read i may need to resit exam to get a red seal which will allow me to trade - i've emailed a beauty college too an still waiting for them to reply!

i shall carry on with my research anyway - thanks for takin the time to do that tho - very much appreciated! :)

x

Cosmetology Association of New B

New Brunswick Government / Gouvernement du Nouveau-Brunswick, Canada (new brunswick government site)
http://www.gnb.ca/0368/pota-lst.pdf (from gov site, list of private occupational training schools, perhaps they can answer?)

This is with regards to same for Cosmetology Hairstylist - Apprenticeship and Occupational Certification and it reads

An individual desiring certification as a journeyperson in New Brunswick is required to meet one of the following criteria:

- Occupational Experience (Time in Occupation/Trade)
- Interprovincial Status
- Equivalent Standards

For more detailed information see "Avenues of Certification" in related links.

A person from New Brunswick can obtain an Interprovincial Standards Red Seal for Hairstylist by:

-Obtaining the New Brunswick Cosmetology license;
-Applying to write the Interprovincial Standards Red Seal Examination through the NB Department of Post-Secondary Education, Training and Labour, Apprenticeship and Certification Branch
-Completing the application for Red Seal Interprovincial Examination;
-Providing proof of the Cosmetology Association of New Brunswick's license for hairstylist;
-Paying the required fees and;
-Successfully challenging the Interprovincial Examination.

hth's

thanks for that vhunter - i've looked at a few webpages bout converting my certs an the cic website bout skill transfering - so i'm guessing from what i've read that i will have to maybe do an examination to prove i do what i say i can do to be able to get a licence be able to trade.

i have looked at a goverment site regarding the interprovincial red seal approval cert an it covers certain trades an nail technician isnt placed in the list, hairdressing is but not nail techs!

we're goin to be there on a temp work permit til we get pr but i wont be able to work for the first 6 months so looks like i'll be out the show for a while anyway! i could do bit of mobile work or from home cash in hand so to speak but itll affect the pr application if im caught doing anythin like that so dont want to risk it! i can do voluntary work but cant see any salon bein able to offer that or what they could offer tbh

so my plan was if i had to ... retrain to gain canada equivelant certs while waitin those 6 months but have jus found out i cant do that either - no working or trainin according to the cic website. :irked:

I could do freinds (that i'll hopefully make) for nothing but then i'm using product which will need replacing (but then would be worth the word of mouth effect) when the time comes that i can charge or get employed with a salon or even jus to keep my hand in!

thanks again guys

Latest posts

Back