Question about L&P allergy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShannonU

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Sorry if this has been talked about but it seems that I am having an allergy to nfu.oh L&P. I haven't worked with it for a while and I took it out today to try again and now..I am a mess! My nose is running like a faucet, I am wheezing, sneezing, coughing, and my whole face is itchy. (This was happening often when training and I couldn't figure out if it was maybe nail tips or what not, but I think this basically proves that it is the L&P causing this allergy).

I've seen Geeg post that CND is hypoallergenic and that there are a few others that are hypoallergenic as well... I guess i'm going to have to look into converting if I want to continue with l&p.

My question is simply if other people have experienced these kinds of allergy symptoms?? I know some people have contact allergies where they have rashes, blistering, etc...but has anyone experienced it like this??

:hug:

Last edited:
Wow, you are having a pretty bad reaction if its affecting your breathing. You probably should not use L&P if you get these symptoms when working with it. It could lead to an anaphylactic reaction...think hospital. Unless your doctor gives you the go ahead, I wouldn't use it again. You can always change to gels, CND Brisa gels are great. I can't wear acrylic due to lifting and skin irritation, but I have no problems with gels.

Thanks Envy! I should have looked for it.. My bad...

I know it is not anaphylactic, but thanks for your suggestions. It's been continuing for a while and I have gone to see my doctor who has said that the chances of anaphylaxis developing are slim since i've been able to deal with it and it hasn't progressed to my airways closing.. Believe me, it was something I worried about when it first happened. I have the same reaction during the summer months with cottonwood, also! With that said, though, it's not been fun! I have to use an inhaler and sinus spray and allergy meds when I have one of the episodes. I do think that switching to a hypoallergenic brand will help!

I also have to say that I don't get the L&P on my skin, I have followed Geeg's advice about having a pad with scrub fresh on it and wiping my brush on that so as to avoid the vapours wafting in the air heavily and I try to sculpt as much as possible with my brush to avoid a lot of filing so it must just be from breathing it in, or it is entirely unrelated to the L&P! However, I think the coincidence is high since the reaction has come just after playing with it today.

Last edited:
And I am qualified in both L&P and gel but thanks for that suggestion as well. I use gel consistently with no problems at all, thank goodness!

I'm unable to use l & p also. Nor am I able to wear it . It makes my hands itch. Part of the reason I gave up doing nails 15 years ago. I find I have no problems with gel or gel polish. So trying to ease back into doing nails part time. I have eczema on my hands from having a house cleaning business, doing nails then switching to restaurant and bartending work. What was I thinking! Not about my hands. I use gloves as the acetone and alcohol based nail cleaners really dry me out.

Agh, I have eczema too.. It gets the worst when I am washing my hands often. It's been good for a while but once the weather gets cooler it will get bad again. I think I will try switching to a hypoallergenic and see how I get on with it. It just seems too coincidental that I'm having the reaction again after working with it today. I love l&p so don't want to stop using it.

Agh, I have eczema too.. It gets the worst when I am washing my hands often. It's been good for a while but once the weather gets cooler it will get bad again. I think I will try switching to a hypoallergenic and see how I get on with it. It just seems too coincidental that I'm having the reaction again after working with it today. I love l&p so don't want to stop using it.

It must be hard to want to even risk trying anything, but for very little expense you can buy a Retention+ Try Me kit and give it a go.

Really anyone can develop an allergy even with hypoallergenic products, but the risk is much less with something that is hypoallergenic.

I wouldn't say that Retention+ is hypoallergenic, but I can say, that many who have been allergic to other monomers tell me that they do not suffer the same symptoms with CND Retention+ monomer. I hope it works for you. :hug:

It must be hard to want to even risk trying anything, but for very little expense you can buy a Retention+ Try Me kit and give it a go.

Really anyone can develop an allergy even with hypoallergenic products, but the risk is much less with something that is hypoallergenic.

I wouldn't say that Retention+ is hypoallergenic, but I can say, that many who have been allergic to other monomers tell me that they do not suffer the same symptoms with CND Retention+ monomer. I hope it works for you. :hug:

Thank you! I am going to try it out, absolutely. I just wanted to try it once more and now I'm fairly convinced it is the l&p giving me troubles. Gel and gel polish has been completely fine. Spent the night on the couch because my nose is running like a faucet. 5:43 am here and I've had a worse sleep than when my kids were babies. Lol. Going to get some CND l&p later today. Have a good day!

You poor dear! :hug: hope you get it figured out soon! It's hard not being able to sleep at night with having to be up early with kids of any age.

Latest posts

Back