Question for experienced make up artists

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnaP

Reaction score
Hi, I gained an nvq2 in beauty therapy last October and covered make up in one of the modules, so it wasn't a make up only course. However, I have had loads of interest and have carried out a number of weddings this year which have all gone well.

I've got a few questions...

Pricing wise, I'm struggling with what to charge for a bridal trial and on the day. Also do you charge less for the rest of the wedding party? I use premium products - bobbi brown, MAC and Smashbox.

Also, do you ever ask for a deposit from brides?

I'm also struggling with applying mascara. Does anyone have any tips or advice. I don't seem to be able to get it on the full length of the lash.

Finally this question is for myself (I'm getting married in 4 weeks and am doing my own make up). I'm under a lot of stress at the moment - not wedding related- and as a result my skin is suffering. It's really uneven, I've got dry patches, my undereyes are really dark and I keep getting spots. As a beauty therapist I follow a good skin care routine, but has anyone got any tips for getting my skin tip top before the wedding - bearing in mind I've only got 4 weeks!

Thanks

What is your skincare routine?

For brides, I charge them £50 for the trial, and £40 on the day. The £50 is like my deposit as well, which is why it's higher. I charge £35 for everybody else on the day, and if they want trials, they have to be done at the same time as the bride, and they are £20 each.

With mascara, I find it easiest to put on when they are looking down. I always comb it through the top of the top lashes first to remove any dust/shadow, then sort of pull the lashes up using the brush!

Vicki x

Great thank you! Wonderful tips, I hadn't thought of charging more for the trial, but that's a great idea!

I'm using dermalogica. I cleanse, tone, moisturise am and pm and then twice a week I exfoliate and use a mask. I've always been really lucky with my skin and it just looks so dull and lifeless at the mo. My makeup looks terrible on my skin at the moment, it's really throwing me! X

This may sound like a silly question but how much water do you drink per day? I find that if I don't drink enough then it really affects the condition of my skin so I fill bottles up in the morning and keep them in the fridge, for some odd reason I drink more when there are bottles handy rather than going to the tap and filling a glass :)

Not a silly question at all. I do try to drink 2 litres a day, but I must admit my intake hasn't been as good as it usually is! So that's probably a factor.

Latest posts

Back