Question re: Insurance for anyone working from home

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loufd

Reaction score
Hi,

I have two questions concerning house & contents insurance policys for those of you who work from home:

a) Did you inform your home insurers?
b) what sort of feedback have had from your home insurance companies?
c) where of those of you who have managed to get home insurance - what company are you with?

The reason being that i phoned mine to tell them that i was planning on working from home and having customers come to the house and they said they wouldn't be prepared to continue the cover on my home and contents if i did, just wondering what companies you use.

thanks,
Lou.

Loufd said:
Hi,

I have two questions concerning house & contents insurance policys for those of you who work from home:

a) Did you inform your home insurers?
b) what sort of feedback have had from your home insurance companies?
c) where of those of you who have managed to get home insurance - what company are you with?

The reason being that i phoned mine to tell them that i was planning on working from home and having customers come to the house and they said they wouldn't be prepared to continue the cover on my home and contents if i did, just wondering what companies you use.

thanks,
Lou.

There have been some threads on this recently. I think a few people found that More Than covered you when you had contents insurance with them.

Have a little search through the threads using the search facility.

HTH

Hello,

I use to work from home.

I was with Norwich Union who do a Homeworkers policy, which is as what it says!!! This covers treatment and public liability. BUT......You must read the small print on your policy and check EXACTLY what it does cover you for.

You do not get buildings insurance with this, but you must inform whoever your buildings insurance is that you are working from home and running a business.

It is really important to inform all insurers that you are working from home.

Good Luck

x

Curzy said:
There have been some threads on this recently. I think a few people found that More Than covered you when you had contents insurance with them.

Have a little search through the threads using the search facility.

HTH

My contents cover was with More Than, and I'd heard they don't charge more if you work from home, which they don't. When my renewal was due I phoned LOADS of companies but as soon as I said about working from home (and it's only part time) they didn't want to know, and those that did charged a small fortune.On of the few things More Than do say is that if a client steals anything you cannot claim for this, as you have invited them into your home (but it would be the same for anyone visiting you).

I think there is a difference between "working from home" and "running a business from home".

I my previous job I "worked from home" i.e. I had an office set up in my house and I worked for a company from that base. Now I "run a business from home" as I have a salon at the back of the house where members of the public come by appointment. You need to check your specific insurance to make sure you are covered. The important point seems to be whether members of the public enter your home.

In my previous job I did not need any additional cover on my insurance. Now I have separate insurance for the salon (which has its own entrance) and my normal household insurance (both Norwich Union). My normal household contents insurance specifically states that, unless there is an act of violence, I am not covered for possessions stolen by a client from anywhere in the house other than the salon!!! So in other words, I need a client to give me a quick clout before they nip past me into the house and ransack it :lol:

That's great girls, thanks for the feedback.

Latest posts

Back