Quiet for Christmas?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gib

Reaction score
I've been in the beauty industry for 25 years and for the last two years I have noticed a steep decline in clients in December, I'm the quietest I have ever been and yet I move with the times, have loads of experience and I'm good at my job but I'm finding the industry tough, anyone else having the same problem I seem to be losing my clients to medi spas and there is no loyalty these days or is it just me?

I'm having the same problem,We have never been so quiet,even in the middle of the recession we were much busier. I know there is lots of competition out there but it's never affected us until now. I'm dreading Jan/Feb.

I know a lot of people think christmas is going to be so busy because people will be getting themselves ready for it but the truth is most people just can't afford it anymore. Christmas is the one time they DONT have the cash to spend on themselves. Christmas is an expensive time of year for people.

I just had a look at other salons websites and the discounting and offers strikes me as we are not alone, 50% off through December etc, I am very worried as I'm good at my marketing etc but the return is pretty minimal from it, Im wondering if because people do it themselves, you can buy gel nail kits and laser hair removal in Argos, I most of my friends they all have their own Gelish /shellac systems for doing their own nails and there not even in the industry.

I opened a tanning salon in January of this year and was expecting a good start to December seeing as October/November haven't been the best but this week has been shocking! I also do frequent offers to entice customers which does work but feel I'm devaluing my business! However all other tanning shops local to me are always doing offers lately (and theyre well established) so it must be a sign of the times! Fingers crossed the economy picks up asap! haha :)

This week for me is shockingly bad but as from next week I'm fully booked nearly for 2 weeks . Still fairly new as only open salon in august. But still 2 busy weeks isn't going to pay for Jan and Feb

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

Beginning of November was good, last 2 weeks of Nov & this week have been shockingly quiet. But busy the next 2 weeks. People booking as normal, but cancelling last minute.

Hate working twice as hard, & it only makes up for everyones cancellations the month before in the run up to xmas & I usually end up poorly & run down by xmas day.

And as for discounts...

Ive seen a local salon Shellac & tan £25. Ok I do Bio but most clients don't know the difference, it would cost £47.50 with me for gel & a tan!

Wish everyone would stop selling themselves short, & crippling other peoples businesses.

Im getting abit fed up with it all, if its not other salons its clients wanting a month from their gel mani & have the cheek to moan after 3.5 weeks that its starting to lift. 😡😡😡😡!!

Xx

I agree totally, I noticed that my competitors are doing full sets of eyelash extensions for £17, full body massages for £10 and manicures for £8, I cannot compete with those prices, how do you put your prices back up after charging this? I'm really struggling I have been through the recession in the 90s but never saw any of this giving it away I use a good skincare brand they say to charge £70 for a facial and yet little miss give it away around the corner her facials are £15. I'm starting to lose faith in my industry, when I qualified you were lucky to have a beauty salon in a town and there were only a couple of spas in the country now every towns hotel has a spa there are at least 20 salons if not more in my town, I can't make ends meet, my clients will just go to the cheapest but in the end they always close. It's really tough way tougher than the last few years.

I've had the opposite - December has been booked solid since the end of September and I have a waiting list for most days. Currently, I have no empty appointments until mid January. All that without having had to offer a single discount or special offer! In fact I haven't offered any discounted treatments now for over two years, mainly because I made a conscious decision I don't want the sort of client who shop by price alone.

What treatments do you offer Martin?

I am the same, no free apts till 8th jan, 6 day weeks and many days 12hrs.
Xmas was booked up in sept.
I just asked my clients in sept if they'd like to book up to xmas.
I usually do a GV offer in Nov but j stopped it this year as I found it so hard to accommodate all the people that had vouchers

What treatments do you offer Martin?

Quite a range, but the bulk of my appointments in the next few weeks are Decleor facials, massage, CACI & SkinBreeze facials and the rest is a mix of Jessica manicures & pedicures and a bit of waxing/tinting and electrolysis.

Any one remember MFI......sold kitchens, fitted furniture etc...... They became a standing joke, as they were ALWAYS running offers.....
Sadly, the more this industry discount's, the less 'joe public' will want to pay.....
I really wish we could all agree a fair price range, and work within it.
As it is, no one offering big discounts can be making any money.
No money = No business. :cry:

Whilst there are people who chop and change in accordance with price, there will always be those who value quality and are willing to pay more for it - you see it in where people shop, the makes of car they drive, the clothes they buy etc etc . The secret is finding those people, providing the service that they want, and in the environment they want it in, and then targeting your marketing at them.

Last edited:
Completley agree, thankfully there will always be those who value quality over price, however, increasingly I have noticed, even these clients are being seduced by % OFF deals.
It is not only the discount retailers offering cheap bargins, stores such as M&S, and Laura Ashley are ALWAYS having 30%+ sales these day's.
Our client's start to EXPECT more and more for their money, and almost feel cheated if they do not receive either a discount, or a free gift. :confused:

Whilst there are people who chop and change in accordance with price, there will always be those who value quality and are willing to pay more for it - you see it in where people shop, the makes of car they drive, the clothes they buy etc etc . The secret is finding those people, providing the service that they want, and in the environment they want it in, and then targeting your marketing at them.

Brilliant post! If you don't want to discount then don't but at the same time make sure your service is absolutely perfect and worth paying a premium for.

thanks for that I may have a look at my marketing as my salon is first class as well as the services but I think you maybe right I'm not teaching the right clientele how do you market your business and where? My website and salon price lists are high quality, my salon is modern clean and well decorated staff are professional etc so I'm wondering if it's my marketing not my actual services that's the problem

When I started I targeted a few local women's interest and social groups and offered to do talks and demonstrations. I did some in the houses where they met, and others I did as evening social meetings in-salon, with the people coming to visit for demos & taster sessions etc. It took a little while, but it meant I got to the 'ladies wot lunch' brigade, who then recommended their friends, and from there it snowballed! I found that those of means responded better to this type of marketing than leaflet drops and adverts.

Last edited:
This is quietest Christmas period ever. I'm dreading January and February as it's going to be soooo quiet.

I know we always expect to be mad busy come December but I always think everyone is busy shopping & they leave maintenance until nearer the time. I was so quiet last week & the week before was mad for some reason. I'm reasonably busy this week & next week & following is just crazy. My phone has been quiet but I encouraged everyone to book in on their previous a appointments.
I'm trying to remain optimistic as you can tell😉

Latest posts

Back