QVC's Red Carpet

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiggerlady

Reaction score
Just watching a presentation of their Red Carpet set of gel polish...omg!:eek:..!!
The gel French nails underneath them are atrocious!! Big dips in Zone 2! Not only that, but the demonstrator just said 'its an LED light, so there's no UV for those worried about over exposure...' WHAT?????
Or am I missing something here...if she's wrong, then the Advertising Standards Agency will come down on them like a ton of bricks
I thought LED was UV, just different concentration?? and if you're going to be 10 times zooming on national tv, wouldnt you make sure you had an absolutely perfect set underneath??.
"and this is not gel extensions..don't get this mixed up with old fashioned gel techniques".. and she seems to be advocating using OPI, Leighton Denny etc as a 'sandwich' with the top and base coats....:evil:
QVC has just gone down in my estimation....

Oh Wait...now its a French manicure kit and they're showing one of those 'dippy' nails... perfect reason not to buy it...lol

Qvc have always been a let down..
I also hate the **** that comes out of Leighton Denny's mouth

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi I bought Leighton Denny products from QVC and they have been really good, no problems at all :)

I to buy Nails Inc from QVC - amazing polish x

My sister in law hasn't got the time to go to a salon, so uses the Red Carpet Manicure system at home. I bought it for her from Sally's for Christmas and she loves it. It's the next best thing for her, rather than getting a premium manicure.

Although I do Shellac her nails when she visits as a treat!

LED (Light Emitting Diode) lamps are different to UV (Ultra Violet) lamps.

xx

I don't think so....from a 'sticky' at the top of the forum...x

UV Lamps vs LED Lamps
There seems to be a lot of confusion over what these are and what makes them different ...
Firstly both are just a type of light bulb. So lets look at light bulb (lamp) technologies
1) hot cathode lamps. This is traditional Edison light bulbs and halogens - anything with a wire (filament) that generates the light
2) CCFL - cold cathode fluorescent lamp - this covers neon bulbs and any lamp that uses an electrical charge to cause a gas combination to produce a fluorescent light
3) LED - light emitting diode - this is the new emerging energy efficient alternative. Instead of a gas or filament a small diode is charged and in turn produces photons of visible light.

Traditionally UV lamps have CCFL lamps that have been allowed to produce both visible and invisible (UV) light. This can be well controlled and is well understood due to how long they have been in production. This means there is better understanding of matched lamps and products to ensure even and complete cure. Their only downside is the uv output degrades within a few hundred hours.

LED lamps can also be made to produce Uv light along with visible light. This is however a narrower band of UV so it would need initiators specially designed to ensure complete cure.
The up side is LED lamps can produce more intensity from less power so shorter times are possible generally. But again this would mean reformulating to balance the rate of cure.
LED lamps will last longer than CCFL lamps BUT they will still degrade in time below the required output.

I don't think so....from a 'sticky' at the top of the forum...x

UV Lamps vs LED Lamps
There seems to be a lot of confusion over what these are and what makes them different ...
Firstly both are just a type of light bulb. So lets look at light bulb (lamp) technologies
1) hot cathode lamps. This is traditional Edison light bulbs and halogens - anything with a wire (filament) that generates the light
2) CCFL - cold cathode fluorescent lamp - this covers neon bulbs and any lamp that uses an electrical charge to cause a gas combination to produce a fluorescent light
3) LED - light emitting diode - this is the new emerging energy efficient alternative. Instead of a gas or filament a small diode is charged and in turn produces photons of visible light.

Traditionally UV lamps have CCFL lamps that have been allowed to produce both visible and invisible (UV) light. This can be well controlled and is well understood due to how long they have been in production. This means there is better understanding of matched lamps and products to ensure even and complete cure. Their only downside is the uv output degrades within a few hundred hours.

LED lamps can also be made to produce Uv light along with visible light. This is however a narrower band of UV so it would need initiators specially designed to ensure complete cure.
The up side is LED lamps can produce more intensity from less power so shorter times are possible generally. But again this would mean reformulating to balance the rate of cure.
LED lamps will last longer than CCFL lamps BUT they will still degrade in time below the required output.

My point was about the difference in overexposure which you mentioned in your OP - I'm sure the science says you are more exposed to UV with a UV lamp rather than an LED one? I have both the CND UV lamp and an LED lamp and love both.

I'm not defending one or the other, I just thought they were quite different - I think the bulbs in my CND lamp are quoted as lasting 99 hours, and my LED one says 50,000 hours.

Sorry if I've misunderstood the difference between UV & LED - thanks for the stickie info xx

All gels cure when they are exposed to uv light. The amount of uv required is the same whether from an led bulb or traditional bulb. LEDs cure faster only because the emit more uv light in a shorter period of time.

Latest posts

Back