Random acrylic lifting!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamLR

Reaction score
Ive been doing nails many years but since I changed to nsi attraction ive been finding that after a client comes for a couple of times (infills) they have some nails that have a random bit of lifting right in the middle of the nail! There is never any lifting around it just right in the middle which I just cant phathom out why! Can anyone help?

This is called pocket lifting - it's almost like a pocket in the middle of perfectly adhered product. Theres a couple of reasons for it to occur.....ski jump nails - the natural buckle of the nail causes pressure from different directions at the same time (unlikely in this case or you would have experienced it before). More likely is working too wet, more likely with a new product line whilst you get used to its knack of application. It's quite common on thumbs when you need a bigger bead than usual so end up with wrong ratio.

Try working in smaller beads on those nails until you get fully to grips with the application tweeks

Last edited:
Trinity can I ask (sorry to slightly hijack the post) is there any way you can stop/help it when it's from ski jump nails? My nails are and i often struggle from lifting!

Trinity can I ask (sorry to slightly hijack the post) is there any way you can stop/help it when it's from ski jump nails? My nails are and i often struggle from lifting!

Hi, your best course of action is to keep the natural nail as short as possible and have length (if required) via a tip or sculpt. The longer the natural nail the more opposing forces it creates as it grows, more chances if pocket and cuticle lifting.

Does that make sense? :oops:

Last edited:
Trinity you absolute star! I so work with rather wet acrylic ive always preferred it so reckon this is the case! Thank you so much will try with smaller, slightly drier beads. Thank you!!x

Trinity you absolute star! I so work with rather wet acrylic ive always preferred it so reckon this is the case! Thank you so much will try with smaller, slightly drier beads. Thank you!!x

Let me know if it helps :D

This is called pocket lifting - it's almost like a pocket in the middle of perfectly adhered product. Theres a couple of reasons for it to occur.....ski jump nails - the natural buckle of the nail causes pressure from different directions at the same time (unlikely in this case or you would have experienced it before). More likely is working too wet, more likely with a new product line whilst you get used to its knack of application. It's quite common on thumbs when you need a bigger bead than usual so end up with wrong ratio.

Try working in smaller beads on those nails until you get fully to grips with the application tweeks
Hi when you say ski jump nails this is where the nail goes up correct?
What about if the nail is aimed downwards could lifting be affected by this?

Hi when you say ski jump nails this is where the nail goes up correct?
What about if the nail is aimed downwards could lifting be affected by this?

Yes definitely, probably more so as the nail will pull downwards as it grows so zone 3 will tip like a see-saw

Either keep them a shorter length, or a complete new set including taking down the length of the natural nail and re-tipping/sculpting regularly. You'll come to know just how long they can get before it starts and do a new set as appropriate.

Yes definitely, probably more so as the nail will pull downwards as it grows so zone 3 will tip like a see-saw

Either keep them a shorter length, or a complete new set including taking down the length of the natural nail and re-tipping/sculpting regularly. You'll come to know just how long they can get before it starts and do a new set as appropriate.
Okai then in that case i have a client with very downward nails on a few fingers if i hadnt cut the natural nail down enough could the lifting happen from this after 3 days? As she always says this happenda quick but put it down to always using her halds alot for house work and work

Okai then in that case i have a client with very downward nails on a few fingers if i hadnt cut the natural nail down enough could the lifting happen from this after 3 days? As she always says this happenda quick but put it down to always using her halds alot for house work and work

3 days is quick but if she says it always happens that quickly then I'd believe her, clients are quick to deny their part in any issues so one who acknowledges and accepts the limitations is a godsend. Does she Solar Oil? It won't solve the issue but it may prolong it for a while longer. Nails naturally curl and bend more when dry so keeping them hydrated with Solar Oil, applied directly to the underside so penetrating the natural nail, as well as from the top of the overlay (keeping the acrylic flexible) may help

3 days is quick but if she says it always happens that quickly then I'd believe her, clients are quick to deny their part in any issues so one who acknowledges and accepts the limitations is a godsend. Does she Solar Oil? It won't solve the issue but it may prolong it for a while longer. Nails naturally curl and bend more when dry so keeping them hydrated with Solar Oil, applied directly to the underside so penetrating the natural nail, as well as from the top of the overlay (keeping the acrylic flexible) may help
Yes i totaly know what you mean i had a client once tell me she caught her nail on toast and it snapped in half
Ahh okay then no she doesnt use that type of oil as far as i know , would any type of cuticle oild wok?

Yes i totaly know what you mean i had a client once tell me she caught her nail on toast and it snapped in half
Ahh okay then no she doesnt use that type of oil as far as i know , would any type of cuticle oild wok?

Any oil will help but a good quality one will provide fast visible results so the client is more likely to continue. Solar oil is brilliant asbit has jojoba oil which ensures in penetrates the nail and overlay.

Any oil will help but a good quality one will provide fast visible results so the client is more likely to continue. Solar oil is brilliant asbit has jojoba oil which ensures in penetrates the nail and overlay.
Okay then great thanks for letting me know

Latest posts

Back