Rant and need advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clareh

Level 3 hairdresser, nail and brow tech
Reaction score
had two new clients yesterday- advised my salon (I am self employed) they wanted a trim each, Mum and daughter. The salon advised that I was newly qualified so get a discount. So they turn up, one wanted a wash which was fine. I enjoyed doing a nice long hairwash.. but as I was doing so they both started talking about how they were very picky etc how hairdressers don’t do what they want. I did a beautiful cut on the daughter but it took some time as I was being constantly distracted by both. The Mum sat in and spent the entire time telling me about her health, both were very rude and kept picking me up on things. Every time I touched her head she winced, even though I’m always gentle. Mum wanted a restyle in the end! By this point I was really behind and feeling very panicky, the Mum tells me that she feels unwell and I asked her if she wanted to continue, she said only if I was quick. I told her that her discount was due to me being new and it look me longer but she insisted. She ends up having a epileptic fit in my chair and I was really unprepared for this entire episode or their behaviour though I managed it in a polite and friendly way. Mum insisted I finish her hair. The cut wasn’t my best but under the circumstances..ok. I would not cut their hair again without having more experience but don’t know how to communicate this to my salon. Do I need to toughen up?

Learn from these things and let them teach you, if you get put off by them you’ll never gain the experience. I remember when I first qualified I was made to cry off a lady but it definitely made me a more tougher person. Remember you’re the professional, you will get hard clients xx

Don't be put off and don't give yourself an hard time but make sure you learn a lesson. These will not be your last awkward customers! Remember, they're not your friends, that you are providing a service and that time is money. Be polite but don't get distracted by rude or inappropriate customers. Tell them that you do better work when you concentrate and that you want to give their cut your full attention, this usually works for me. I think you should do their hair again, you'll feel so much better if you "manage" them and don't let them take advantage next time.

Thanks both.. I really felt overwhelmed and flustered, like I was doing a rubbish job but after thinking over both your comments it’s obvious I need to be unsure and deal with it to get the best out of myself... if they come in I think I will keep them separate and make sure they are booked when all seats are taken already! Then I can concentrate on each without them feeding eachother with more cheeky comments. I didn’t personally dislike either client but found them too challenging together really x thanks guys

Latest posts

Back