Real mink eyelashes, yes or no?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss Pink23

Reaction score
Is there any ethical or moral reasons why I should not offer these?

I have done some research and there seems to be conflicting evidence.
Are the mink kept in poor conditions or not?
I understand they are not killed, but possibly kept in mink farms in very small enclosures.
Is this still the case, or has their care progressed.

There is moral reasons-
•they are animals keapt in farms!!
•clients sometime don't like/agree with the use of real mink fur used for eyelash extensions
•if the fur is not sanitized correctly it may cause problems for your clients eyes
•real mink fur will lose it's curl quickly
I've not seen real mink lashes anywhere-they may be called mink on your suppliers sites but I expect they are the man-made fibre which can resemble real mink, this is good as they are less expensive but will have the same soft feel. They also avoid all the above issues with using real mink.
There are lashes called 'silk' aswell-also made from man made fibre but these feel more stiff than the so called mink lashes.
Maybe this will put you off:
"Fur factory farms follow a regular calendar. Animals are mated in February, give birth in May, weaned 6-7 weeks later and each year's offspring are killed in November at the age of just 7 months.

Animals kept in fur factory farms show clear signs of stress. They perform stereotyped behaviour, mutilate themselves, sucking or biting their own tails. Some even resort to cannibalism.

The killing of animals on fur factory farms is carried out immediately after their first winter's moult when their fur is at its best and any defects have disappeared. Fur farmers claim that the animals must be well looked after or their fur would suffer, that is why they have to be killed as soon as they moult before it begins to deteriorate. Slaughter methods include gassing (using vehicle exhaust), neck breaking, lethal injection and electrocution (using electrodes clamped in the mouth and inserted in the rectum). Prior to the ban on fur farming, in the UK no qualifications or training were required for those carrying out the killing and this is the same in most countries" ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1390429249.178871.jpg

They are cruel.

Right, well thats made up my mind.
I did wonder how if they are being brushed for their fur, then their conditions must be pretty good as stress etc will show in the quality of their fur. But as said, if they are brushed before their first moult and then killed afterwards, that makes sense and has just made up my mind.
Thanks for the information
x

If they weren't kept in bad environments there would be no stress meaning no bad fur so they kill them after as their fur gets worse! Not the poor animals fault they are stressed and not looked after 😓 x

I once watched a video on mink farming. Horrific. The animals weren't mentally sound from being kept locked up.
But regardless of this there are the reasons stated above. And let's not forget this is an animal fur so it may not keep it's curl and could cause allergy problems!
I like using silk extensions and no longer use any thicker than 0.15 and find them light/soft. X

Latest posts

Back