Really need a rant about childcare!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca@PolishedToPerfection

Reaction score
Really sorry that this is going to be such a long post! I started my business up working from home about 7 months ago. I have spent a good few thousand all together for training, products, marketing etc and have another 5 courses coming up that i've paid and booked for. I have 2 children. One turns 4 this month and goes to nursery 15 hours a week so I have been booking appointments in for while he's there. The other is 9 months old and he goes to his grandads while the other is at nursery so it works out pretty good. My dad is 66 and to look after both of them together is a big ask so I try and not do it. About 3 weeks ago he was very very ill. His back went and he couldn't even move, stand, walk, get in the car, get dressed or anything so I had to look after him so obviously I wasn't working. He'sa lot better now but can't lift anything heavy or bend down properly so he's still not able to look after my youngest. He's not walking or crawling yet so requires a lot of picking up and he's very heavy! So basically I can't work! The room I work from is right next to our living room so I don't want to work if the children and partner are home as they are very noisy and I just wouldn't feel right! I have no other family or friends able to babysit and my partner won't allow me to pay for childcare as he thinks our youngest is too young and he doesn't like the thought of a stranger looking after him. I'm this close to giving up!!! I have seriously ran out of options!!!!! I have people ringing me to book appointments and I really don't know what to say because I can't do it!! Sorry for the really long rant just needed to get it off my chest!! :(

I totally understand about childcare. I'm saving up for my courses but I work part time in admin (I'm on mat leave at the minute) we had 2 in 3 days a week and its so expensive! Is your partner off during the day? Could he not take baby out for a few hours, at least then you could book some clients in around those times. X

I totally understand about childcare. I'm saving up for my courses but I work part time in admin (I'm on mat leave at the minute) we had 2 in 3 days a week and its so expensive! Is your partner off during the day? Could he not take baby out for a few hours, at least then you could book some clients in around those times. X

He works Monday - Friday. He works all over (he's a painter & decorator) and doesn't know where he's working until the morning when he gets to the office so I don't know how far away he'll be. He sometimes gets home at 4 and sometimes at 7 so I can't really book anyone in on the evening as I can't guarantee he'll be home. Plus you have to walk through my treatment room to get to the kitchen so if I started work as soon as he comes home he'd have no tea! Lol x

This is why I don't work from home! We have no family at all to rely on for childcare.

Unfortunately when you have very young children this is a choice you have to make. Despite modern women wanting to have it all and we're told in the media that we can have it all, reality is often very different.

My children used to go to a childminder, and whilst she was brilliant and the children liked going there, not only would they prefer to be home with me but the cost became completely prohibitive. That's when I decided to set up at home but fortunately they were school age so I can at least work school hours.

We only have my mum for childcare and she's great but obviously has a life as well which I'm very conscious of so don't like to ask too much.

I'd talk to your partner again about maybe freeing up a couple of mornings to do treatments as time goes quick and your little one will be eligible for 15hrs in no time at all. It would be a real shame to have to pack it in now to start again when he gets funding

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

What about working a sat & Sunday mobile. That way you can still keep some clients, until your youngest is in nursery. Is there no way your partner will comprise on childcare, even for a few hours a week. There are lots of good childminders about. x

I totally understand about not feeling comfortable working while hubs & kids are next door. I started offering evening & weekend appointments from home while I was still studying & was desperate for practice. While it was perfect to start off with as I was getting experience & my product costs were covered I started to REALLY resent it!

Evenings my partner used to sit and watch a dvd with our 4 year old in her room while I did treatments in the living room, which was fine for the odd night but the busier I got and the more the 2 of them were shut away he started to get (understandably) annoyed! If I heard either of them 'creeping around' ie going to the loo or getting a drink I used to get very edgy and I'm sure my treatment suffered! hubs would then also get an ear bashing after the client had left.... At weekends he would take our daughter out for the duration of the appointment but this ended up quite costly- especially on days when the weather was too bad to visit a park etc. He would spend more on taking her out than I would earn most weekends. It was a fab idea when we thought of it, but in reality it didn't always work out. And even if you set aside a few hours there will always be more phone calls tempting you to take more appointments :(

He says the child minder would be a stranger but the ones I speak to have had the same children for several years and have become very close to them, I've no doubt they would rather be home with mum but they do enjoy going to the minders, especially when other children are there too and they don't see it as being looked after by a stranger. He cant really lay down the law and not come up with better solutions tbh! Would he agree to a trial period with one, to see if its as bad as he thinks it will be? xx

I work from home & have a 16 month old little girl. I'm very lucky that when I'm in work & hubby's in work (he does shift) my mam minds her & when my hubby is off he minds her. Her bedroom is next door to my beauty room & if I'm working that bit later she still goes to bed at her normal time. I will even say to them she is gone to bed & we speak a bit lower. I've never had anyone have any problem & they have all returned. The only time I'm fussy with noise from hubby & my girl is when I'm doing a facial or massage. Apart from that normal noise is fine. I play the radio & that drowns out most of it.
I suppose what I'm trying to say is is that it's a home salon, I find most clients don't bat an eye lid cause they know what to expect. My little girl & dog even greet some of them at the door. It works perfectly fine for me anyway.

I'm same I'm trying to set up a business from home but husbands owns a restaurant therefore never at home and the 18 month old doesn't always behave when people come over. It gets me down cos I really am trying but seems like everything against me! Keep at it xx

I've been in the same situation since last November. After childcare & product costs I sometimes wondered if it's worth it. I pushed it out as I'd rather work than be at home (I work in a hair & beauty salon) and see it as valuable experience & client base building. My youngest has now started fs1 so 15 hours a week are funded, then the 2 of them go to a childminder.
As an army wife posted overseas I have no family to help with childcare.
I can honestly say it IS worth the hassle. The experience I gain every day is invaluable & I'm sure will help me when I return to the UK. I hope this might help you in some way :)

Latest posts

Back