Really need some advice, lost confidence

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emmaspeers

Reaction score
I trained in gel nails a couple of years ago with le chat. I have had the same products for that time. I have done many sets of nails and I don't rate the product. I have beaten myself up so much over this and thought it was me. However I have recently used bluesky products (only for personal) and they lasted well. I have used le chat on natural nails and on enhancements. Enhancements last approx a week. But in that time near the base chips and lifts really easily. Every single set does this. I have had someone watch me and I am doing everything right and now this is becoming frustrating.

I am going to change my system and I do love the bluesky however have read on here about possible problems with insurance i there are any issues. And so for that reason I will avoid. But my personal experience was good and lasted really well.

The other product I have looked at is Red Carpet. The lady in sallys recommended it as she has a side line doing nails and showed me hers after 4 weeks and although they needed to be redone the gel looked great!

I would also like suggestions of other LED brands (without a huge budget). I want to set a small business up in the future paired with other beauty courses I have planned. My family are paying out for me to do courses and change my system for nails for xmas.

Please help

Why don't you try Gellux? Its a good mid-range price gel polish, lasts well, they have lots of colours and you can layer and add glitters etc to them? I use Gellux and love it. It lasts really well, 15 days no problem and Sally stocks it. Sallys also do a 1 day Gellux course which is ok.

I tried Bluesky and personally, didn't like it. It didn't last, the shine on it wasn't great and it dulled quickly, and the smell was rank. For a fiver a bottle though, and the fact anyone online can buy it, I dunno, just isn't professional to me.
But just my opinion...

I use and am trained in Gelish, it's fantastic and their training is excellent. I personally wouldn't use Bluesky, anyone can buy them and I don't think that looks very professional to the customer x

I wont be offended so any advice really is appreciated! Can gellish and gellux both be cured with an LED lamp? My friend is just about to go on the gelish course. I have already done a course and it is just the system I am hoping to change

I love Gelish! They do a starter kit where you can get the lamp and 12 colours, plus your base and top coat. The training is fantastic and my trainer is only a call away if I'm having any problems or need to ask for advice, she is literally on hand 24/7! It's not the cheapest of products but I think you get what you pay for, and buy cheap but twice. When your first starting out you could buy a new colour every second set and your choices will soon build up!

And it's also cured with led x

Yep gellux too is uv cured and led cured.

I use and am trained in Gelish, it's fantastic and their training is excellent. I personally wouldn't use Bluesky, anyone can buy them and I don't think that looks very professional to the customer x

I love Gelish! They do a starter kit where you can get the lamp and 12 colours, plus your base and top coat. The training is fantastic and my trainer is only a call away if I'm having any problems or need to ask for advice, she is literally on hand 24/7! It's not the cheapest of products but I think you get what you pay for, and buy cheap but twice. When your first starting out you could buy a new colour every second set and your choices will soon build up!
Could you tell me the price you paid for the whole kit? Many thanks

Could you tell me the price you paid for the whole kit? Many thanks

It is against site rules to show trade prices as we are aware that non pro's also read this site. Why don't you go to the Gelish website and see what their prices are.

It is against site rules to show trade prices as we are aware that non pro's also read this site. Why don't you go to the Gelish website and see what their prices are.

Oops sorry! I did look but it asks me to scan my certificate but i dont have a scanner. But thank you, I will look into this and try and find a way around it.

I am at my witts end looking at all these brands, it is all very confusing!
And such a big decision to decide

You can only see the prices on Harmony if you have an account but I think Salon Services have the kits?

Oops sorry! I did look but it asks me to scan my certificate but i dont have a scanner. But thank you, I will look into this and try and find a way around it.

I am at my witts end looking at all these brands, it is all very confusing!
And such a big decision to decide

Maybe a geek who uses Gelish might kindly pm you the prices :)

And yes, you're right it is a big decision and you're doing the right thing by researching it all thoroughly before you spend you money. Don't buy until you're 100% happy with the brand you choose otherwise you could end up making an expensive mistake.

Have you thought about going to salons and having different brands applied to yourself to see how well each one lasts? You will also see the application and removal process too as some are definitely easier than other :)

Personally I'd avoid bluesky as well. As far as I know it isn't technically a professional product (if there are insurance worries around a product id avoid it!) and I'd focus on considering either the main 2 brands - gelish or cnd shellac or a few brands like gellux which have a lower cost price.

Personally I use gelish and love it. I have the 5-45 gelish led light and bulbs never need to be replaced. The bottles of polish can look pricey but you get a lot of product from it.

Start small and get your basic colours, maybe 10 and then build up when you can (that applies to all brands!) don't feel pressured by other therapists having tons of colours - you'll get there too!

Good luck with making your decision :) x

Another vote for Gelish! Literally Transformed my mobile business! x

If you already have gel polish certs can you just purchase gellish or do you need to do conversion?

I dont think i would need to do conversion but I am thinking about doing this... I am having a real melt down about the whole thing today. The decision is massive for me and it isnt about me wanting to be cheap, I dont mind paying up to around £200 to start with but that is my absolute limit! For now at least. People might think I am being tight but I paid out for lechat and now have a kit I really dont like and it has really put me off nails, but I know finding a decent product I would soon get my love back.

I thought I had decided on the gelish until I spoke to the lady who trained me and she sells bio seaweed gel and said it is much healthier than using gelish.

I am now unsure

I dont think i would need to do conversion but I am thinking about doing this... I am having a real melt down about the whole thing today. The decision is massive for me and it isnt about me wanting to be cheap, I dont mind paying up to around £200 to start with but that is my absolute limit! For now at least. People might think I am being tight but I paid out for lechat and now have a kit I really dont like and it has really put me off nails, but I know finding a decent product I would soon get my love back.

I thought I had decided on the gelish until I spoke to the lady who trained me and she sells bio seaweed gel and said it is much healthier than using gelish.

I am now unsure

Did she say why it was healthier than Gelish?

Personally, I trained with and use CND Shellac. It is slightly more expensive but its worth it. Its super healthy for natural nails as there is no buffing required prior to application.

With regards to conversion courses, check with your insurance provider that you don't need to do one, some companies only insure you to use products you've had the brand specific training in.

If you already have gel polish certs can you just purchase gellish or do you need to do conversion?

Double check with insurance but I think provided you have done some kind of gel training, most will insure you.

Whatever you do, if you have time to wait a bit then I'd wait for a vat free day at a wholesalers or even til the pro beauty show next spring (always great deals on!)

Also have you considered selling your previous collection on a pro selling site? It might not make much but if you get a couple of extra gels to add to your collection from the profit then may be worth it x

Thank you. I am considering training again in gelish anyway. No she didnt specify but I have my reservations on this anyway. I have done a lot of reading which is why I wanted to ask on here and have started a thread about this too x

I am now unsure

At a guess, she was just trying to sell you bio seaweed gel. So she wouldn't tell you Gelish was better would she? 😉
I've heard of bio seaweed gel but it's not what I would call a well known brand x

Latest posts

Back