Really upset

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsBB2013

Reaction score
I have done gel polish on about 10 clients and 3 have complained about chipping. 2 told me straight away and one client has waited 2 weeks, she said they chipped on first day. So I don't know whether to take that with a pinch of salt. I don't have these problems on mine and my mums nails. Could just cry it's so embarrassing x

without further information is hard to tell where you are going wrong but here a just a few questions to consider

Did you do these nails for cheap / discounted rate? If yes then clients will never look after something they see no value in

Were the nails in bad condition i.e peeling , thinned out , bitten etc ? Clients with challenging nails cannot expect 2 week wear time out of shellac , they need to work with you with their aftercare to ensure that they get their nails into the best shape possible and then they can expect 2 week wear time out of them.

Are you using the entire system as a whole, I.e all CND prep products, CND base , colour and top coat and CND lamp? If not this could be why, you need to use the system as a whole

Hi there, dont be sad my lovely things happen! This is how we learn and grow as professionals ;) so keep your chin up. As already mentioned just make sure you are following ALL the steps and don't rush yourself as this is where mistakes can happen. Make sure the gel polish is not touching the skin or cuticles in anyway as this will cause lifting. Also make sure you cap your free edge so when you apply each coat make sure you take it over the free edge because again if you dont it can cause them to peel and chip ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I charge £18 for a gel polish and I use IBD and the whole system. I am just starting out and trying to build clients and my confidence then something like this happens. I do seem to be having problems with the gel polish. I'm just doing my acrylic training and even though I haven't been doing it long they are going really well, I'll put a pic on. Might just only do acrylic xxx

My acrylics x

Attachments

• 1438961726217.jpg
    1438961726217.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 250
Look in this business you have to grow a thick skin! Take what your clients say as positive critique, if they hadn't of said anything you would never know, but that isn't to say the chipping they had was even anything to do with your application! The nails above look good! I would say possibly keep your zone 3 bead smaller so there is no ridge at the cuticle area. The Nailart looks lovely too! I don't really like the shape but that's just my preference! Keep calm & keep going!!! X

Thanks everyone, I would rather ppl tell me but I just want to be perfect in the first place! I normally have a thick skin but I am soo wanting my career change to work that I care so much that it does get to me. I suppose as I get more confident I will be more able to take it on the chin x

You don't know what these ladies were doing / expecting they could do with the gel polish, how they might have abused it. What do they do at home, at work, with their hands?

I'm sure I've read on here that one customer who had bad chipping finally admitted that she had a horse and did all the stable work with unprotected gel or Shellac polish on - no wonder it wasn't a 2 week manicure for her!

(I'm not saying don't pay attention to your application as well).

Well this particular lady I did actually repair 5 snags with fibreglass before putting the gel polish on so it could be that.

Did you make sure you had capped the nails also?

I do find French manicure more difficult to keep it thin and they do chip more, but I used to find that when I had mine done with another tech xx

Are you doing 1 or 2 coats of the white when doing a French? X

I normally do one, but did two on her which is where I have gone wrong. So annoyed with myself. The salon owners want to talk tomorrow morning think I am going to end up losing my chair because of it x

I have done gel polish on about 10 clients and 3 have complained about chipping. 2 told me straight away and one client has waited 2 weeks, she said they chipped on first day. So I don't know whether to take that with a pinch of salt. I don't have these problems on mine and my mums nails. Could just cry it's so embarrassing x

You will always get moaning minnies. If you worry about them all, or refund them all you'll go out of business. If they come back with complaints within a few days, then fair enough, you can do what you can to rectify it. But two weeks? That's taking the piss.

Do you have any guinea pigs you can rely on to be test subjects?

I do 3 close friends for free under the condition that they report back. Its a slight cost to me but in my opinion is worth it as its given me a lot of confidence in my application and how long people can expect to get from it.

Ive not had any problems so far x

I do find French manicure more difficult to keep it thin and they do chip more, but I used to find that when I had mine done with another tech xx
I normally do one, but did two on her which is where I have gone wrong. So annoyed with myself. The salon owners want to talk tomorrow morning think I am going to end up losing my chair because of it x

Keep your chin up and use everything as a learning experience.

How did the talk with the owners go?

Yea thats a good tip, I do loads of gel polishes and it does take a bit of practice and at first I used to practice on my mum, good to get your technique correct etc. Capping the free edge is REALLY important and not getting gel onto cuticle or side walls as it will just peel away. Iv never used the system you are using, so Im not sure how it is to be applied but I use Gelish and OPI GelColor and I always buff the natural nail first to remove the shine off the nail plate. Thorough cuticle work and applying primer before hand too is essential-any oils left on the nail will cause the gel to lift.
However, you can do all these things, give the client the aftercare advice; and the gel can still come off early purely down to the way they treat their hands and nails and ignoring all your advice lol, some clients expect gel polish to be invincible!
Hope you find you get on better xx

Thanks everyone, had a talk with the owners today and I have left. Totally amicable they were so lovely about it. I just don't need this pressure atm, I am going to go mobile and any problems I have while I am getting my practice up can just be dealt with by me and not impacting thier salons reputation. I would like to go back in 12 months time xxx

Thanks everyone, had a talk with the owners today and I have left. Totally amicable they were so lovely about it. I just don't need this pressure atm, I am going to go mobile and any problems I have while I am getting my practice up can just be dealt with by me and not impacting thier salons reputation. I would like to go back in 12 months time xxx
Aww you obviously feel that's the right decision for you, I don't blame you its hard to enjoy what you do if you feel stressed or anxious about it. Good luck.with the mobile venture xx

Latest posts

Back