Really worried and working myself up......any advice welcome :(

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fluffystuff

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Ok-the title says it all. Im in the research stages, so not too late to change my mind yet. However Im on a business course at the moment and due to start my business plan. Plus Ive seen some premises that I like for my beauty/aesthetics clinic so I really do need to decide nowish. Righto-the state of 'our country' today is really really worrying me at the moment and I have been advised by EVERYONE just about that now is most definately NOT the time to open up a new business, as people just done have the money at the moment for beauty treatments. I have another meeting on Wed with my financial advisor-so Im guessing I shall have more of an idea then as to where stand. But I was just wanting any ones advice as to how, if at all their salons are being affected? Im so stuck at the moment Im getting my self in a right old state(spent most of the day in tears :( Sorry to ramble. Any help-good or bad would be v much appreciated thankyou x:cry:

hi i have posted the same thing this very afternoon just not as well put, i am ment to be looking at a place tomorow and feel the same as you dont think i will be happy till im in my own salon let me know how you get on.

hi i have posted the same thing this very afternoon just not as well put, i am ment to be looking at a place tomorow and feel the same as you dont think i will be happy till im in my own salon let me know how you get on.
Hi Ste! Doh-didnt see your post-sorry! I first started thinking about this coming up to a year ago now-but its only really been the last few weeks that its become evident just how bad things have got-and are set to get worse. I know lots of people have actually said that beauty is one of the last things to go (and have read q a few reports that say the same too) and have faired well in previous recesions (sp awful I know!)but I can honestly say that if I were in the schtuck (!) I wouldnt be going to get my £80 facial every fortnight and would be watching my pennies extremely carefully. That said-my main target market hopefullyarent likely to be affected too much by the way the economy is going. But-literally most people are telling me not to do it, the times just not right? I REALLY want my own salon, more than anything, however-its not just a few thousand pounds I would be loosing should it go wrong...............Im getting veeerrrry scared. Sorry to ramble-so whats your situation? How far on are you?Whats making you reconsider?:hug:

hi fluffystuff, same as you really i would understand if my clients stop having there nails done etc and not such a big out lay as i rented a room in a hair salon for 4 years so have most of my stuff couch, nail desk, wax etc just the rent 13 weeks upfrount :eek: and what if no clients, as i wont be the only one in the area and thay dont seem that busy i'd like to think i do some thing a bit different 3d nail art ect as they dont. even my other half says go for it and i do want it so much just dont want to fail. what are you doing at the mo are you working for someone else ?

I'm in the process of swapping over from one career to another-it's been a hard slog with training around a 4 year old and now trying to build up a client base as well as all the other obvious drawbacks-mortgage,rent etc. But i'm determined- I made my New Years resolution in March!!!! I'm 40 this year and if I don't get off my backside and make a leap of faith i'll never do it!
You might have to work every hour going whilst starting-I rent a room off a therapist so basically we job share and sometimes I can be there all day and the busiest time comes when I would like to be at home with my daughter!! But our flexibility in appointment times is paying off! Where we are in less than half a mile is 10 nail salons-all with variying cheapy prices on their nails(one is actually down to £15 now!!) so although I do nails we decided to not openly advertise them and go for the other treatments. Miraculously we are starting to get a steady flow of full priced nails coming through our doors (at full price!!) along with all our other treatments.
Would sub renting a room to another therapist-maybe a holistic one who doesn't crossover your treatments be an idea-take a little of the pressure off you without taking business off you?
Donna and I work very well together-both fruitbats and both in the same boat. The thing is we share a room even though we are seperate self employed therapists but it's just by pure chance she found my post for a room to rent on a local forum. We hit it off straight away and trust each other with each others property in the same room.
If you want to do it-you will!! The one piece of advise-having learnt the hard way is be careful with your advertising once you get started.Its damned expensive and a lot of it is absolutely useless!!
Good Luck
Emma xx

Hi, i have been listening intently to all the negative hype surrounding the supposed recession we are meant to be having as i am due to relocate my 1st floor salon to bigger ground floor premises in 2 mths time!
my rent will be double the current price,business rates etc plus the repayments on the loan i am having to take out to renovate the new premises. SCARY!!
but in my current premises we are turning clients away left,right and centre,we HAVE to grow so im taking the plunge and so far i have seen absolutely no impact on my business and we are based in a VERY working class location.
you just have to decide as mentioned before if you can commit yourself to working all the hours god sends and sometimes going without a wage for the first year or so but it is hard if youre starting completely from scratch.
do you have a good client base already?
if you really want to make it work ,you will but it will be bloody hard work!
to be honest i really dont think the recssion will affect salons that much because when it comes down to it,if people have to cut down on things like holidays,new cars etc then they are going to want to treat themselves to a facial or manicure because there going without other luxuries.
anyway enough rambling from me! good luck with everything and i hope this has given you some food for thought!

Latest posts

Back