Red hair back to blonde

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still doesn't make sense to me. Foil doesn't protect from damage, and it's the stripping that would do the most damage before foiling.

Why not just cleanse and re-colour as a global?

This it what I've suggested, if its not gonna lift when cleansed dont waste time bu foiling it x

Have you ever tried to remove an xxl? Other than bleach the next options are shave it or use industrial strength cleaner haha xoxo

I'm sure they have removed alot worse than XXL whilst travelling the world creating amazing hair! X

I'm sure they have removed alot worse than XXL whilst travelling the world creating amazing hair! X

Some of the colours contain metalic salts. I've lifted with some success only to have it re-oxidise when I applied a level 8 toner 2 weeks later and drop back down to a 4! It's strange stuff

Depends what kind of blonde. If it was like a base 7/8 with a warm reflect then maybe do as an all over colour but if the client wants it lighter than that then I'd much prefer to build it up progressively using highlights then try in vain to achieve a light blond which reflects enough ash for it to not look brassy,
I personally think its better for the integrity of the hair.
Just my opinion :)

Depends what kind of blonde. If it was like a base 7/8 with a warm reflect then maybe do as an all over colour but if the client wants it lighter than that then I'd much prefer to build it up progressively using highlights then try in vain to achieve a light blond which reflects enough ash for it to not look brassy,
I personally think its better for the integrity of the hair.
Just my opinion :)

But if you can get the hair in foils upto a nice clean blonde, why not just do the whole lot? Or are you suggesting that the highlights wouldn't be a nice colour, in which case, why do them?

Also, what homecare does the client use if half of her hair is stripped and half is stripped and lightened? On successive appointments what would be the plan? Do you only highlight the root of the hair that is already highlighted, or do you add more highlights each time?

:totally_not_getting_it: lol

I'm a little bit confused as to what you mean. From experience you cant get a nice clean blonde from just doing a colour cleanse from a xxl home kit. ESP red! Next to black it's the hardest colour to remove. I'd rather foil coz at least that way it conducts the heat better and you'd be able to get a nice light blonde.
- I'd colour cleanse the red tone out
- foil with as many highlights as the client desires
- use a ash based quasi to the remaining hair
- allow to process and tone as nescessary.

Id use highlights as I think it's a nicer way to build up the blonde. At least that way you can add to it and personalise it with what works for the client. So yes, you can add more if you want to.. It's just a case of weaving out more of the darker blond base and lightening that. If she's happy with the amount of blond then just do the roots and possibly add a few lowlights.
Also the breaks in between having the highlights allows for the hairs lipids to restore, thus, preventing damage by doing it all in one go.

There's a vast array of aftercare for all different types of hair needs. I guarentee you'll find one for highlightened hair that has also been stripped.

As I said that's just how I would do it :)

I'm a little bit confused as to what you mean. From experience you cant get a nice clean blonde from just doing a colour cleanse from a xxl home kit. ESP red! Next to black it's the hardest colour to remove. I'd rather foil coz at least that way it conducts the heat better and you'd be able to get a nice light blonde.

Id use highlights as I think it's a nicer way to build up the blonde. At least that way you can add to it and personalise it with what works for the client. So yes, you can add more if you want to.. It's just a case of weaving out more of the darker blond base and lightening that. If she's happy with the amount of blond then just do the roots and possibly add a few lowlights.
Also the breaks in between having the highlights allows for the hairs lipids to restore, thus, preventing damage by doing it all in one go.

There's a vast array of aftercare for all different types of hair needs. I guarentee you'll find one for highlightened hair that has also been stripped.

So you've already stripped colour then your going to bleach porous hair even and conduct heat!

Rather than cleansing once, apply a quasi to kill the warmth then re cleansing bits thats need it every 6 weeks and apply a quasi? Hmm second option allows you to keep hair condition easier!

Have to admit if the condition allowed I would do a bleach bath with water, bleach and shampoo first to see if it could at least lift out done colour. I'd then h/l through and flood in between with a dia light, then probably rub my flood colour into HLs at backwash to tone for a few mins.
It's all very dependant on the condition of the hair, whether she will follow after care and whether she will aggree to have it cut afterwards. I have "industrial" hair so have been known to do two bleach baths and HLs a few times with no ill affect but on other people's that would kill the hair.
Take a few samples and play :)

Wouldn't use blue ash is use a green tone

why would i need to recleanse every six weeks? surely that implies that the colour you've achieved was uneven? and why on earth would i 'recleanse bits that need it' then put another quasi on it?
as i said in a couple of posts before hand it depends what kind of blonde the client was hoping for..

It goes without saying that the necessary tests would be conducted to see if the hair can withstand that many chemical processes. so if the condition allowed the yes i would re bleach her hair with more highlights. Colour correction is all about doing the best you can and working with your client to get the look your after. even if that takes a few visits.
i dont know why people are getting so bitchy on here. i said that is how i would do it! we all have different ways of going about colour correction and i gave my opinion, thats how i would personally do it.
.. and i cant be far off because most people on this thread have said they would do the same

Jheeeeezzz!

why would i need to recleanse every six weeks? surely that implies that the colour you've achieved was uneven? and why on earth would i 'recleanse bits that need it' then put another quasi on it?
as i said in a couple of posts before hand it depends what kind of blonde the client was hoping for..

It goes without saying that the necessary tests would be conducted to see if the hair can withstand that many chemical processes. so if the condition allowed the yes i would re bleach her hair with more highlights. Colour correction is all about doing the best you can and working with your client to get the look your after. even if that takes a few visits.
i dont know why people are getting so bitchy on here. i said that is how i would do it! we all have different ways of going about colour correction and i gave my opinion, thats how i would personally do it.
.. and i cant be far off because most people on this thread have said they would do the same

Jheeeeezzz!

No it's not about working with the client at all to give them the best colour possible it's correcting the colour so that we can then move on from there.... And I would re cleanse and get slightly lighter Each time the client came on... Always done this and clients prefer it to coming in dark and leaving blonde... It's more natural and gradual and no one is getting bitchy but we get a bit "twitchy" when people seem to go over the top with foils and colour correction, it's not the only thing we are able to do.

No it's not about working with the client at all to give them the best colour possible it's correcting the colour so that we can then move on from there.... And I would re cleanse and get slightly lighter Each time the client came on... Always done this and clients prefer it to coming in dark and leaving blonde... It's more natural and gradual and no one is getting bitchy but we get a bit "twitchy" when people seem to go over the top with foils and colour correction, it's not the only thing we are able to do.

Blue, you are a fantasic colourist but the OP was asking everyone for advice not just you. Just because we have suggested other ways of doing things it does not make either you or i wrong. I strongly believe that hairdressing has EVERYTHING to do with working with the client to give them the best possible result, they are paying after all? And as long as what you do isn't at the cost of the integrity of the clients hair or your reputation then surly it should be up to the client to decide if they want to go gradually or walk out looking really different? The OP now has several different suggestions, most of which (including yours) are technologically sound, so they are now armed with plenty of options for when consulting with their client.

EVERYONE'S opinion is valid and deserves to be heard provided its not offensive.

To the OP let us know which of the techniques/combination of techniques you go for and ask if you can take pics xoxoxo

i had a client do the exact same thing, its taken a nice 6 months to get to our lovely blonde with regular trims to cut out the live xxl. What we had done is strand test it, it came out to a neon copper!

So we cleanse it, and it didnt shift. So we opted for blondi rae-as a hail mary because the build up was unbareable-very dark at mid length and ends with very virbant plum/red shade hot roots. The blondi rae lifted quite a fair bit- we neutralised it and since have used foils inbetween a quasi to get to our desired shade. It cost the lady loads but it was a lesson learnt for her! hopefully you get a decent result- its all trial and error with this stuff! xoxo

Oh my good god.. So I contacted my client offering her a Saturday appt as she requested and her response to me was "actually, I've done it myself now with a colour b4 stripper from boots as I was quite impatient and wanted it done for New Year's Eve!!" .. She said, I will give my hair a rest for a little bit and then be in touch when I want some more highlights to lighten it some more!! .. I feel like saying no, I don't want your unloyal custom!

I'm gutted :( not just because I lost out on the client and she turned to box products, but mostly because I was looking forward to the challenge and transformation!! :(

Thanks for the advice for the future though geeks xxx

Latest posts

Back