Refreshments in the salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My sister had the licencing people in who told her if she wanted yo offer alcohol she had to have a licence even if she wasn't charging for it. They claimed she would've worked the price into her costings. She argued against it but they wouldn't have it. So its tea, coffee, hot chocolate, water or squash.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

You shouldbe able to offer slight alcoholic beverages providing you're not charging for them, as they are offered. However i dissagree with this anyway, as you're encouraging drink driving in most cases, plus we don't know what issues certain people might have, I never thought of this until the last view years when a family menmber very. Lose to me turned out to be an alcoholic, and was able to hold themselves together in front of others when doing what we class as normal, hair apt, doc apt, dentist, meal with family etc but it took a hold and close family I.è. Me started to notice but it's been going on years! Now being close to this i am able to spot an alcoholic... Even a soba one (ex) by their smell, so for that reason alone won't offer alcohol, or cakes for anyone who may be dieting or not eating etc, generic drinks and if people are hungry, whatever lunch I have with me or cuppa soup, or I'm Ina town they can run and get something.

Some of those coffees you can get are probably more expensive than a glass of cheap wine lol x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I find that really surprising although I shouldn't be. It's a little like the music licenses in that it depends who you speak to. A lot of the salons like Charles Worthington have a menu of drinks including alcohol. I would never think that different areas have different rules! Like had been said on here so many times, this site is great for advice but check for yourself!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I was surprised too. It was mentioned on this thread earlier, so I checked with her.
It could be that the other salons have a licence. I'm not sure what it would entail to acquire one, but it's something I would look into. I think its cool that you could offer a glass of wine in the evenings/late nights.

Different council areas have different rules with regards to alcohol as I have just checked this out wanting to offer Prosecco on my open day. The rule Chester council have, is that if the alcohol is served as part of a treatment, ie "free glass of Prosecco with every CND Shellac treatment" then you must have a license as in effect the client is paying for the alcohol through their service. For my open day, as anyone could walk in and have a glass with or without a treatment it meant I did not need a license but it's worth checking with your council.

Jojo, I offer, Tea, Decaff tea, Coffee, de caff coffee, peppermint tea, green tea, fruit juice and water all served with a selection of pre packed 2 biscuit pack that I bought from Costco (work out 16.6p per client) served in vintage bone china tea cups. I charge a premium for my treatments so offer a premium service and the drinks as placed away from my main work area xxx ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1384642825.650677.jpg

I offer a glass of wine/fizz in my late appointments and have a full alcohol licence in order to do so. Cost me £500 including a one day course and a lengthy visit from the local police and fire department.

However I'm all above board, my clients love it and actually as a licensed premise these agencies helped with various extras like fire risk assessments etc which was really helpful.

In reference to drink driving I keep industry approved bar measures in the salon and if someone is driving I provide a correctly poured 125ml glass if they wish to still have a small glass.

As my main client base is working, aged between 30-60 I can provide a little 'extra' that is very much appreciated and sets is apart from other salons.

Does your licence have to be renewed at the cost of £500 annually or is it a one off cost? I must say it sounds lovely!
X

Different council areas have different rules with regards to alcohol as I have just checked this out wanting to offer Prosecco on my open day. The rule Chester council have, is that if the alcohol is served as part of a treatment, ie "free glass of Prosecco with every CND Shellac treatment" then you must have a license as in effect the client is paying for the alcohol through their service. For my open day, as anyone could walk in and have a glass with or without a treatment it meant I did not need a license but it's worth checking with your council.

Jojo, I offer, Tea, Decaff tea, Coffee, de caff coffee, peppermint tea, green tea, fruit juice and water all served with a selection of pre packed 2 biscuit pack that I bought from Costco (work out 16.6p per client) served in vintage bone china tea cups. I charge a premium for my treatments so offer a premium service and the drinks as placed away from my main work area xxxView attachment 48148

How beautiful! This is right up my street :) where is your salon?! xx

I have a Nescafé coffee machine that I bought especially for clients, I bought tons of pods so I can offer chocolates, coffee, cappuccinos, lattes, iced tea, lemon tea, frappes, tea ect.

If I have time too I also bake low fat cakes or muffins for my clients, they go down a treat. Xx

Jojo, I offer, Tea, Decaff tea, Coffee, de caff coffee, peppermint tea, green tea, fruit juice and water all served with a selection of pre packed 2 biscuit pack that I bought from Costco (work out 16.6p per client) served in vintage bone china tea cups. I charge a premium for my treatments so offer a premium service and the drinks as placed away from my main work area xxxView attachment 48148

Sounds like you're similar to us except we also serve alcohol. Wine, cocktails, beer etc. We have an ice machine too. Clients love that they can get a vodka tonic over ice with a slice of lemon. It all adds value to their service in my opinion. :)

Does your licence have to be renewed at the cost of £500 annually or is it a one off cost? I must say it sounds lovely!
X

Sorry just catching up.
That's the start up cost including my personal licence which is renewed every 10 years.

Annual cost is £100 for the premise licence renewal.

Hi sorry I know this thread is a bit old now but I got a good tip from an old colleague. Place slices of lemon, limes, cut up strawberries (or any fruit really) in ice cube trays with water and freeze, to create fruity ice cubes. They look lovely in a glass if water or juice and clients love little extras like that.
Also buy squash, its much cheaper then fresh juice, won't go of and you can get such lovely flavours these days. My clients all love apple and pear flavour or strawberry and kiwi flavour. They don't taste a bit like the squash you would give to a child! They are Robinson's and are sugar free so great for clients that are calorie counting. :p

Latest posts

Back