Relabelling products

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnD

Reaction score
I don't know about the UK but here in Italy there are alot of companies who re-label their products.
Now the smaller salons seem to be doing the same thing. I can understand the fact that some of these people do alot of research through trial and error to find the right products and don't want their competitors to copy, but some are also selling the products under their own label. Which means that if you are happy with the relabelled product, you have to buy direct from the salon.
I know of one salon that swaps the labels without permission from the manufacturer and was told that 'alot of salons do it!' I'm sure this will cause problems further down the road but it doesnt seem to be stopping these little businesses.
Personally i'm on the fence with this kind of practice. It reminds me of people who make a justification of downloading music illegally from the internet. I know companies spend alot of money marketing and promoting their products, yet the smaller salons who buy from them and relabel, will still have to buy from them to replenish their stock!
What do you guys think? Is this something that is practiced in the UK?

I don't think it goes on in the UK we are very strict on that sort of thing. I know companies will distribute products with our labels on but don't know what sort of quality these would be.

HTHs

I owned a salon where we "white-labelled" products, that is, we had a company who would produce products and put our label on the front....they weren't very good though, and we soon stopped it.

However the other thing is entirely different in terms of sticking your own label on a product that isn't supposed to have that label....I'm not sure you can be "on the fence" with this can you? Its either illegal or it's not- and this is! I know for a fact it does go on though.

Im not sure I could mess about with my business and risk getting shut down in order to save a few quid on some products.

What's more, If I knew the salon I visited was doing this, I wonder where else they were "cutting corners" too.....Is the product they're using safe etc?.....

Latest posts

Back