Relocating to NYC after school

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalexander11

Reaction score
Hello Hair Geeks! I am 23 and I have been doing hair since my junior year of high school but have recently gotten the opportunity to finish cosmetology school and eventually acquire my license. Right now I am at a bit of a crossroad in my life and I find myself in a situation where I don't have too many resources or very much guidance as to how I should go about this.
Come June 2014 I will be moving to Manhattan to live with my partner who is already living on the Upper West Side, this is immediately after I complete my schooling. New York State doesn't reciprocate Texas licensure but will acknowledge my accumulated hours and education.
As of right now my main concern is whether a salon in Manhattan will even consider me without much experience in a salon.
I would appreciate any tips on how I should approach the situation and present myself to prospective employers. I am going to be visiting in 2 weeks and I am unsure if I should go and spot out salons or attempt to get information on the state board exam.
On the same token, I am lacking preparation for the NY State Board exam and I cannot find very much information on procedures.
Thank you very much for any help!

P.S. I apologize if my thread is in the wrong place. :o

Last edited:
I would say first of all go to nic testing's website. They're the national council of state board. From there you can find all the procedures for NYs boards. As far as getting into a salon, why not assist if you can't find work as a stylist? I'd imagine you wouldn't have a clientele there, so booth rental is sort of a no-go. But maybe something commission or hourly/commission.

When you are next in NYC I would go and test the waters with a few salons. Go in person (early, first thing in the morning before they get busy). Try and speak to the salon owner and seek advise. An employer might take you on as an assistant for a few weeks and you would have the opportunity to prove your self with blow outs etc and they they may let you work as a stylist. Remember you have nothing to loose in asking!!

In the meantime look into the state education board and find out the necessary requirements to obtain your licence. At some point you will need to get it so see what you can do and you may be able to find a salon that will help you sort that out if you are working as an assistant. Even if you had your licence it will be tough getting work straight out in Manhattan as a stylist. Lots of experienced people and you will be competing against them with far less experience.

Either way I think you need to get into a salon as an assistant, even if its only for a short time and learn as much as you can. You can sort your licence out along the way and hopefully gain lots of experience. Get out there and hit the streets and talk to as many salon owners as possible. Remember to look the park, have your CV with contact details etc, and dont give up!

Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back