Removing another salon’s work

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoe McGinty

Reaction score
Hey guys.

Just after some opinions. I’ve been a nail tech for over 4 years, offering gel polish, manis and pedis. I’ve recently added gel extensions to my menu - I’ve always done them just never advertised for them until recently due to demand.

I’ve had a few requests for removal of acrylics applied by other salons. I don’t feel comfortable removing acrylic 1 - because my system is gel ( i know it’s a similar removal process) 2) there’s no way for me to know what products other places have used. Whether a soak/ buff works best, how strong the product Is, how thickly it’s been applied/ tips- forms etc.

I’m super careful with all of my removal processes to keep the nail as healthy as possible. Thin natural nails are not what we want.

My solution so far has been to explain this to clients and advise I can do if in need but I will need at least 45 mins added to appointment times and an extra £7 for removal. This puts a lot of people off- which isn’t my intention- but I always want to make them aware and manage expectations- I just wondered what everyone else’s process are and what you do?

Sorry for the essay! Any input would be appreciated xx

Many on here won't remove other techs work, other charge for removal as you are, personally I charge more than £7 for 45 minutes work and products

Sometimes I think it can be a good idea to refuse to work on other people's work - in the beginning. Once you get more of a regular rebalance clientele and have faced the weird and wonderful breaks and lifting and everything in between that your clients return with on your own work, you'll feel more confident in yourself and your skill to tackle someone elses mistakes or product :)

Sometimes I think it can be a good idea to refuse to work on other people's work - in the beginning. Once you get more of a regular rebalance clientele and have faced the weird and wonderful breaks and lifting and everything in between that your clients return with on your own work, you'll feel more confident in yourself and your skill to tackle someone elses mistakes or product :)

I think it’s clear from the OP that it’s not a problem related to lack of confidence or skills but an issue of potential damage to the nail plate when removing goodness knows what. I used to refuse to remove other tech’s work for the same reason. I know a few techs will simply reach for their e-file and file it straight off to save time.

Fact is, plenty of clients don’t care about their natural nail health until the damage is too great to be cemented over. (Probably the same clients who over bleach their hair until it breaks off then expect you to produce a magic solution.)

Latest posts

Back