Removing gel polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beautybumblebee

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I use China glaze Gelaze polish which I'm happy with but when my customers come back to me and I have to soak off the old gels before doing new ones it takes me forever!!
I use lint free pads soak them in the Gel remover and then use the covers which hold it on the nail.
I leave it like ten minutes but even after ten minutes the gel is still difficult to get off!
Sometimes it takes me half an hour to remove all the gels because I don't want to damage to customers natural nails so I want to do it properly.. But it's just taking too long!

What can you suggest? What are your methods?

Thanks!

Maybe buff the top coat a little first? It helps the remover penetrate the polish and lift quicker. I'm not familiar with gelaze but this helps with gelish. Maybe give that a try [emoji4]

Maybe buff the top coat a little first? It helps the remover penetrate the polish and lift quicker. I'm not familiar with gelaze but this helps with gelish. Maybe give that a try [emoji4]

Thanks! I will try that! :)

I use Gelaze and have no problem removing it. I actually find it a lot quicker and easier to remove than Shellac, Gelish etc. Make sure you're not leaving the acetone on for too long.... it can actually have the reverse effect, making the gel harden again. Buff the surface off the polish first then wrap it, leave it for 4 mins then check. If it's not lifting on it's own, re-wrap and leave for another minute or 2. Max 7 minutes. Hope that helps :)

I use Gelaze and have no problem removing it. I actually find it a lot quicker and easier to remove than Shellac, Gelish etc. Make sure you're not leaving the acetone on for too long.... it can actually have the reverse effect, making the gel harden again. Buff the surface off the polish first then wrap it, leave it for 4 mins then check. If it's not lifting on it's own, re-wrap and leave for another minute or 2. Max 7 minutes. Hope that helps :)
Try using cotton wool or cotton makeup remover pads instead of lint free wipes. I find these hold the remover better.

That's really interesting you said that, I will try it this afternoon with my customer. Thanks.

I buff off the top coat then apply acetone to some cotton wool. I make sure the cotton wool is thinned out and not too thick otherwise the acetone just soaks in to the wool rather than into the nail. I then place the soaked cotton wool over the nail only then wrap the tip of the finger in aluminum foil. I do this to all 5 fingers then place a heat pack over the top of the nails. I then do the same to the 2nd hand. By the time ive finished wrapping the 2nd hand up the gel from the first hand just wipes straight off so easily.

I use Gelicure and it can be tricky to remove too. I always buff off the topcoat and you do need to buff until some of the colour comes starts to come off too. I leave it 15 minutes usually too as it's not normally ready to come off after 10.

You might also check your application. When people have problems with removal, it is often due to the application being too thick. I find that this is especially true with Gelaze because it does not have a basecoat so there is the tendency to apply somewhat thicker. You might also add a little heat, either by wrapping in foil or by adding a heated flax bag or mitts.

Last edited:
First of all file a little bit the top coat.second, use only cotton wool and not lint free and third and more important use aluminium foil to wrap and not the plastic covers because with that the aseton evaporates from the first few minutes.the aluminium foil creats heat and helps for better soaking.

First of all file a little bit the top coat.second, use only cotton wool and not lint free and third and more important use aluminium foil to wrap and not the plastic covers because with that the aseton evaporates from the first few minutes.the aluminium foil creats heat and helps for better soaking.

Thanks for your reply, I tried foils but I really didn't get on well with them because I found they didn't stay on, I wrapped them tightly but when I went to check the nail and then having to rewrap them they went all loose.
I am definitely going to try heat packs though to heat up the process.

Thanks

You might also check your application. When people have problems with removal, it is often due to the application being too thick. I find that this is especially true with Glaze because it does not have a basecoat so there is the tendency to apply somewhat thicker. You might also add a little heat, either by wrapping in foil or by adding a heated flax bag or mitts.

Thanks for you're reply, I am definitely going to try the heat packs!
Can I get them from online? Which ones do you recommended?

I buff off the top coat then apply acetone to some cotton wool. I make sure the cotton wool is thinned out and not too thick otherwise the acetone just soaks in to the wool rather than into the nail. I then place the soaked cotton wool over the nail only then wrap the tip of the finger in aluminum foil. I do this to all 5 fingers then place a heat pack over the top of the nails. I then do the same to the 2nd hand. By the time ive finished wrapping the 2nd hand up the gel from the first hand just wipes straight off so easily.

Thanks for your reply, really helpful!
Where can I get a heat pack from?

Latest posts

Back