Removing gels before Shellac manicure

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loopy loo

Reaction score
Hi everyone !
I am a fully qualified nail tech in shellac on natural nails . I have had a few clients ask me to remove their gels before shellac manicure but as I am not trained in gels I only have the shellac removal products and the last lady I removed them for it took over an hour just to remove them . I did explain nicely that because it had added so much time on to the treatment I would have to charge extra removal time but she got very cross and refused to pay it saying it's not her problem I'm not familiar with removing gels ( but paid for the shellac manicure ) ?? So after this I have asked my clients to have the gel removed beforehand so that there is no confusion etc . My question is do you think I'm wrong for asking them to do this ? What are your experiences with removing gels before a shellac manicure ? Any opinions would be appreciated thanks X

Hi everyone !
I am a fully qualified nail tech in shellac on natural nails . I have had a few clients ask me to remove their gels before shellac manicure but as I am not trained in gels I only have the shellac removal products and the last lady I removed them for it took over an hour just to remove them . I did explain nicely that because it had added so much time on to the treatment I would have to charge extra removal time but she got very cross and refused to pay it saying it's not her problem I'm not familiar with removing gels ( but paid for the shellac manicure ) ?? So after this I have asked my clients to have the gel removed beforehand so that there is no confusion etc . My question is do you think I'm wrong for asking them to do this ? What are your experiences with removing gels before a shellac manicure ? Any opinions would be appreciated thanks X

I think the thing here is just to make sure you tell them that there will be a charge for removal before actually removing them, because one way or another the client will have to pay for removal, even if they go back to the person who put the gels on in the first place, they wont remove them for free for them to then go to another nail tech or application!

I have removed a few gels, and I file off the top coat and then wrap in acetone, but in comparison to Shellac they are always harder to remove.

Some gels are buff off, not soak off, so will not break down however long you soak them for.

If nothing's happening at all after 10 mins, I'd start buffing. x

Thank you both for taking the time to reply ! I agree with you . One more thing can you suggest the best remover for gels to soak off ?

Hard gel must be filed off. To do properly without damaging the natural nails it can take a bit of time and time is money. Also you will probably have to use more than one file if hand filing and those cost $$$$ too. Set a price for removal for sure. Soft gel can be soaked off but still takes a bit of time depending on brand. I hate mystery soak offs

Latest posts

Back