Removing nail shine before Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kristalinx

Reaction score
Hi Nail Geeks,
I did some research after deciding I wanted a shellac manicure and went to the CND website to find a salon near me.

I went for my appointment today and I was a bit concerned about some of the preparation so I wanted to check it was right. The girl clipped my cuticles and my thumbnail started to bleed. She said this was fine and I nearly cried when she continued with the prep. (I can only guess she was using something with alcohol in because it stung really bad) Also she filed my nail plates to remove the shine, I asked her if this was necessary and she insisted it was but I've been led to believe this is damaging and unnecessary with shellac.

Am I being over critical? I don't have any nail qualifications of my own but I really tried to do my research to find something completely non damaging to my nails. :S

You definitely don't do either , no buffing needed with shellac, and no wonder it stung on an open cut ouch !

Clipping of cuticle's isn't needed but its the way some techs have been taught to preform a manicure in their training. I personally only clip if they are fraying and look messy which isn't very often. If she clipped and made you bleed she clipped far too much off and its no wonder it was stinging when she wiped over the nails.

As for buffing the nails before application that is a big no no. It's not needed for CND Shellac at all. The only time this would be carried out during a CND Shellac treatment would be to remove any delamination (split/peeling nails) from the free edge, which would be done incredibly lightly and carefully.

Did you look on loveshellac.com or lovecnd.com (same site) to find your local salon? If you did you could report the salon to Sweet Squared (the official UK distributor and owners of the site) who can then take action to remove them from the locator and to make sure they carry out the correct procedure x

Thanks for this, I did find them on the official CND locator so I might send CND a message about it.

I unfortunately don't use CND products (I would love to though!). I do know that NO NAIL SERVICE SHOULD HURT. You should never feel pain, never bleed. Through what I've learned Shellac requires no buffing of the natural nail as previous poster stated. I absolutely cannot stand it when people say theyve bled at nail services. I would have asked to see their qualifications. I sincerely hope you have the name and address of this salon and the technician that worked on you. I would defo report and please moniter your cuts! If they aren't practising CND's policy are they practising safe sanitizing procedures??

It was a salon that CND promote on their site. I emailed them and instead of responding to my concerns they sent me a list of things that shouldn't happen in a shellac manicure. This is helpful for next time but they are promoting a salon which doesn't follow proper procedures still.

My cut has now mostly healed but I will not be visiting again. I think I'm going to wait until I have some money saved and then take myself on some CND courses and learn to do it myself.

It was a salon that CND promote on their site. I emailed them and instead of responding to my concerns they sent me a list of things that shouldn't happen in a shellac manicure. This is helpful for next time but they are promoting a salon which doesn't follow proper procedures still.

My cut has now mostly healed but I will not be visiting again. I think I'm going to wait until I have some money saved and then take myself on some CND courses and learn to do it myself.

Everything you said should NOT happen at a Shellac service. And it should not happen that you have had to have this happen. So glad you emailed about this salon. My recommendation would be, yes go to one on the shellac salon locator, or find the nearest CND educators salon and have them Shellaced there. Then you know you will be getting the best! Please do not be put off by these people, the majority of us Genuine Shellac trained people do it the right way.x

I might be a bit far away (1hourish) but I'm in York and I'm a CND Shellac educator if your ever in York let me know and I'd love to do your nails for you :) Give me a PM if your in my woods :)

I might be a bit far away (1hourish) but I'm in York and I'm a CND Shellac educator if your ever in York let me know and I'd love to do your nails for you :) Give me a PM if your in my woods :)

I'll do that :) , I'm not put off shellac in the slightest I know it's a really good, high quality product. I'm just disappointed that salons that CND didn't give any reassurance that that salon would be checked after my email.

I'll do that :) , I'm not put off shellac in the slightest I know it's a really good, high quality product. I'm just disappointed that salons that CND didn't give any reassurance that that salon would be checked after my email.

Was it the CND.com or love shellac website? The love shellac one is controlled by sweet squared the uk distributor of CND shellac! That is the locator that's best to use to find a CND shellac salon within the uk!
Are you looking into using CND shellac on your salon or just wanting to try it on your nails?

I got redirected to love shellac I think. Eventually I'd like to offer shellac professionally but it's a while off since I'm still training in hair.

Latest posts

Back