Removing UV gel extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sianpetersx

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I don't know if anyone else dreads the bookings for gel extensions removals but I certainly do!!
I find it SOOO long and difficult to remove. As far as I'm aware filing Is the only way to remove this. I use NSI Balance UV gel and in my training I was told the only removal method is to file it off, I haven't been able to find any alternatives.
I dread it SOOO much and find I am shattered afterwards as it takes so long!!
Anyone got any tips and advice on how to make it a bit easier? Honestly considered taking it off my price list as the removal is so awful!!
No nasties please this is a friendly post :)
Xxxx

Yes it's the only way to remove and yes I also dread doing it.
One tip is switch up your grits on your files as you work so as you get near the natural nails use a very high grit, also leave a super thin layer of gel never remove all of it
X

Can't you use a soak off gel?

Laura xx

Yes it's the only way to remove and yes I also dread doing it.
One tip is switch up your grits on your files as you work so as you get near the natural nails use a very high grit, also leave a super thin layer of gel never remove all of it
X

Just as I feared haha! Yep that's what I do never remove all of it and higher grit closer to the natural nail.
I have sometimes had to put a wrist support on afterwards!
Xxx

Just as I feared haha! Yep that's what I do never remove all of it and higher grit closer to the natural nail.
I have sometimes had to put a wrist support on afterwards!
Xxx

Oh yeah it's hard work isn't it? I was thinking of putting my prices up for removals. I think maybe this is where an e-file would come in handy lol!

Oh yeah it's hard work isn't it? I was thinking of putting my prices up for removals. I think maybe this is where an e-file would come in handy lol!

I put my prices up I'm now charging £20 for a gel removal, makes it a little better!

I use a 150 grit for removal which I find works really well then once there isn't much left I switch to a 180. I find it takes me about 45mins - 1hr not sure if that's average for you guys too x

CND do a soak of hard gel for extensions :) Brisa lite I think, may just be Brisa not 100% sure x x

CND Brisa Lite = soak off hard gel. :D

You can soak off gel polish but not hard gel unfortunately :( xxx

I know that, but you can use a soak off gel instead. for gel extensions I use gelish structure gel it's fab. And soaks off with minimal buffing.

Laura xx

CND Brisa Lite = soak off hard gel. :D

Brisa lite isn't actually considered to be a hard gel though it's a removable gel and as such works slightly differently. It's not in the hard gel family. Its not as hard as brisa and you can't achieve really long extensions with it it wouldn't give you the strength for say a stiletto.

Brisa lite isn't actually considered to be a hard gel though it's a removable gel and as such works slightly differently. It's not in the hard gel family. Its not as hard as brisa and you can't achieve really long extensions with it it wouldn't give you the strength for say a stiletto.

Yeah that's why I don't use Brisa lite as a lot of my clients get long stiletto nails and it just wouldn't be durable enough!
Oh well I guess I'll just have to endure the horrible removals!!

I generally give my clients 2 choices of gels for extensions. If they're totally committed to having nails then I allow them to have Brisa...If I think they're not committed then I allow them to have Brisa Lite which is easier to remove x

Can you not get an e-file?? I use one and removal takes me 20min. It also saves my wrist :)

Exactly my opinion. Wish people would not refer to soak off as hard gel. Although I would like to try Brisa light to see how "HARD" waring it is.

Hard gel non porous !!!!!
Soft/soak off gel porous !!!!

Exactly my opinion. Wish people would not refer to soak off as hard gel. Although I would like to try Brisa light to see how "HARD" waring it is.

Hard gel non porous !!!!!
Soft/soak off gel porous !!!!

In my humble opinion it's not very hard wearing at all. I stopped using it because I felt it was unnecessary. Clients wanting gel usually want length and therefore want "hard" non porous traditional style gel.

Last edited:
When it comes to removals, I'm so glad I'm an acrylic girl. I rarely do gels because I ask if they plan on being committed to infills or do they plan on giving their nails a break at some point, and most of them say the latter. An efile makes the job much easier and quicker, but it's still draining. I strongly agree with Hazeleyes with clients usually wanting length with enhancements, so I find it pointless in most cases to use a soak off building gel. At the moment, they simply aren't strong enough for the longer lengths.

Latest posts

Back