rent

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scissors2005

Reaction score
Hi guys could anyone give me some idea what people charge for renting a space in a hairdressing salon for a nail tech, i thought this would be a good way of really getting going with nails, i do mobile at the momment, but find i hard work carting everthing around with me and not every one really has the room in their house to set up properly,any ideas anyone.

thanks tracey.

Rent is a difficult one to come up with an answer for as there are so many permutations of how it can work.

I am by all accounts v lucky compared to others on the site as I pay £65 per week.

Some pay flay rent per day.

Others pay rent plus %.

Try and negotiate the best deal for you, start of real low and go from there.

HTH

I pay £100 per week. Cathie is right though, have in your mind what you want to pay and negotiate to get it. I felt I paid too much when I was tucked at the back of the hair salon, although now that price includes upstairs nail area and 2 treatment rooms, so think I'm quids in now.

ALso, don't take the first thing that comes along as quite often on this site people say how they are being ripped off and cheated badly by their "landlord", so choose wisely. If the place doesn't feel right then don't go there. Ask to look at their appointment book too, if it's not completely full then why not? Is the salon not popular, too expensive, too cheap, off the beaten track etc. You need to take all these things into consideration. HTH

I am being charged £15 per day ( i currently do Thurs Fri and Sats ) or £65 per week if i want the week ... not built up that big a clientelle yet plus i have started to do mobile and have peeps coming to me too now so that lessens the rent cost a bit.

Jo xx

I pay 40% which is high. I tried to negotiate a better deal but it remained at 40%. Basically, I pay for the location and the reputation that the salon has within the hair industry and the fact that they are always busy but 40% is really, really high and a struggle financially at the moment. I am the only nail technician in there and it can feel quite lonely at times!

Gigi gave me some excellent advice which is to make sure you get all the little things sorted out such as who provides coffee for your clients, you or the salon? In my case the salon provides the drinks. Who takes the bookings? In my case the bookings go through the salon. Who launders the towels? I provide and launder my own. What about retail? I’ve still to reach an agreement with them on retail. Will the salon help with the promotion and advertising costs or will you meet the cost all by yourself? I pay for all my printing and advertising costs. What about telephone bills etc? I can use the salon phone to call clients but I use my own mobile to order supplies or just wait until I can call from home.

If you can, try and control everything such as bookings etc yourself and just pay the salon their rent.

One other thing you must consider....you have to be visible and also the salon must tell their clients that you exist! You may need to do a little bit of promotion by yourself. I do that by going around clients when they are having their hair done and offering a free hand massage or file and buff etc. It's a great way of getting to sit there and talk to them about nails and not feeling like you are doing a hard sell. You will get lots of bookings that way and they are far more likely to remember you if you spend ten minutes pampering them than if you just introduce yourself as the new nail technician and hand them a leaflet. It will take you a long time to build up a clientele...some days I can have tons of clients and other days I have one client!

So, really, just make sure you know your stuff and go along to any meetings prepared.

Hope that helps!

Lynn

I'm glad you asked this question, i too am thinking of renting space in a salon to gain more experience and build a clientele. I know exactly what you mean about carrying stuff around. You can feel like you have everything but the kitchen sink can't you? I do feel though that clients do feel a bit special as you are going to them and they are getting a personal service for their nails.

Admittedly not all appreciatte this, which is why i am looking to work at a salon. Good luck with finding somewhere, and thanks for the questions we should be asking, i hadn't thought of alot of those.

Thanks for all your replies, youve made some very useful points,the rent seems to vary such a lot,i ll have to make a mental note of all these points and negotiate hard.One thing i thought of is bookings,i think i would prefer to be in charge of all the bookings myself,because i know myself how long things take the hairdressers wouldnt,so if i didnt work full time to start with this may mean useing a mobile instead of going through the salons reception,does anyone have any ideas on this?Free hand massae and file for clients while they are haveing there hair done is a good idea,this way it will get you mixing and chatting with the clients.I think i would rather pay a flat rent,then i know once ive reached that rent the rest is mine minus costs of course.

any more ideas anyone

thanks for your ideas, tracey.

i had a stint in a tanning salon - paid over 40% for the privilledge, provided all my own products etc and then got asked to pay a third of their £1000 printing costs for their new price lists (the price list was ALL sunbed and beauty prices - with a little line saying ask for details about nail services!)
I left! And now am extrememly busy working from home and loving every minute of it!
Just make sure you know what you're paying for and what they are offering YOU.

[QUOTEI left! And now am extrememly busy working from home and loving every minute of it![/QUOTE]]

sorry if this is a bit off thread but as you mentioned it.......ive been wondering about turning my spare bedroom into a salon, can you tell me the implications of advising mortgage co. house insurance co. etc etc.... do they put the prices up or what? and who else needs to know? thanks x

Ive also considered renting space as it seems less bother than all the above points but i like the freedom of being mobile having 2 children. I think the percentage payment is great whilst your building a client base as if you dont get any business you dont pay any rent, but if i was rushed off my feet i would begrudge giving them 40%. I dont think i would want to pay more than about 20-25% especially if i was doing my own advertising and using my own products.... am i living in a dream world? lol x

When negotiating a rent, I would suggest you start off paying a percentage until that reached over a reasonable amount, once that is reached you could start paying a flat rate per week. The percentage side is really so that you don`t sit there doing nothing and paying out for the privilege.

scissors said:
One thing i thought of is bookings,i think i would prefer to be in charge of all the bookings myself,because i know myself how long things take the hairdressers wouldnt,so if i didnt work full time to start with this may mean useing a mobile instead of going through the salons reception,does anyone have any ideas on this?

Hi, I am really lucky where I rent as we have a great understanding, if I am not there then they will give out my mobile number, or take a phone number for me to phone back if the enquirer prefers. In the salon, we now have a digital phone with a second handset for me, any beauty/ nail enquiries they put straight through to me. I went halves with the owner for the phone and it works well for them too as they don't have to keep running upstairs to let me know someone is on the phone for me.... and like you I control the diary as I prefer it that way.

hiya sherrie - have pm'd you (it'll go off thread otherwise!)

Thanks for your replies,taking numbers or giving out a mobile number when im not there is a good idea,i think i ll go round to some salons and see what i can come up with,thanks for giving me some pointers to look for.

regards tracey.

Latest posts

Back