Renting a chair/space

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sazzy

Reaction score
Hi fellow nail techs. I wonder if anyone can help me. I currently work from home but have been approached to work in a salon a few days a week. Appointments will be booked in for me and I have to pay 25% of my earnings to the salon owner to cover costs etc., I will be supplying my own materials.

Does anyone else rent a chair/space etc., and if so can you let me know what you pay and if you think this is a good deal.

As I've always worked from home, I've got used to pocketing all the profit but do take into account by working in a shop Im picking up on all the passing trade.

Thanks for your help :D

Sazzy
Hard as Nails

I have paid between £60 and £80 a week for a space i a hair salon and had to provide everything including furniture.

its sound reasonable to me, i did 20% in a small salon and she supplied products, why not see if you can get them down a bit, if not its still not a bad deal.

Hi i have just been told today by the hairdresser at the salon where Im renting a chair that I will have to pay £15 a day plus give her 15% on everthing I make.Realised that means if I made roughly 250 per week she will take about 127 of it so it's not worth my while.I like the idea of going mobile but don't know how to build the clients up.....any ideas?

Sarahxx :cry: :cry:

Hi,

I have been renting a table in a small salon for £20 a day, but somedays it just not worth it. I have just got a table in a big busy salon in town and am paying 20% for first 8 weeks then 25% for next 8 weeks and then 30% after that. they are also taking 10% for my products. The rolling increase is a help to start and I think the percentages are fair as if you had your own salon it would be more and you would have to build your clients, were as you have them walking throught the door at the salon so they are there for the taking. Be sure to check how many clients they get a day and see what you think, but if it is a busy salon it sounds good to me.

Good Luck

I don't rent a chair or anything but I think you should at least try to negotiate the %. What do you get for this %? Is it just the space & passing trade? Do you have to do your own advertising? How much do you get left with after taking out your expences?

I don't know if this last message for me but Ill answer it!!

The percentage is 15% ontop of the £15 so if I made £250 in a week she would take more than me home???!!!!

Like she said its all about the money but at the end of the day I can't pay rent even if I've got no clients.Plus she said that someone wanted their nails done on Sat but I would still have to give her fifteen pounds of it and fifteen percent of it which left me with about £12.00.

The salon is not very busy and I would still have to advertise myself.

Sarahxx

Hello

I think thats great! However its always worth a try to negotiate isnt it?

before deciding to go mobile I searched round a few salons to rent a space and all that were willing said 30% at the end of the week but I would have to supply everything myself (table, chairs, stock, adverts...)

Good Luck!

If your home salon is providing you with enough clients for your financial needs then I would say, why pay salon overheads? But if you'd like a change of scenery and the chance of a few new clients then 25% seems fair. Just make sure the salon is in a good location that you WILL get walk in trade. I made the mistake of renting in a place with no walk ins and it cost me dear. Remember Location, Location, Location!

You could also increase your salon prices to cover the rent so you don;t lose out - that's what I did. My infills went up from £15 to £20. I only lost one regular client as a result.

Sorry! My previous was a reply to your original post!!

You could ask her to just do the % at the end of the week or daily as like you say, if you've got no clients then you shouldnt have to pay for rent.

But well done for being approched! Your nails must be brill! :biggrin:

Thank you all so much for replying. I think im going to re-negotiate at 20% to start off with and see how much business the shop brings in. It is a new salon and there are several other business offering nails in the same area so competion will be fierce. Ill let you know how I get on as this may help other nail techs in a similar position to me.

Thanks again:D

Sazzy

I pay 25% of my takings in rent and all retail is mine...... Seems a good deal to me xxx
I also suppy my own furnishings and my own products....

Latest posts

Back