Renting a room - commission help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allthingsbeautyx

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

I need some advice - I am just about to take on a room on a rent basis within a hairdressers. I'm so excited, I can't wait to just get in there, redecorate and start my treatments!

At the moment there is a lady who rents but she is due to leave and go off and do her own thing, and then it is mine. She also has another lady there with her offering lash extensions, acrylics, nail art and mani and pedi every Tuesday and Wednesday. This lady wants to stay. At the moment I am told she only takes 15-20% of the treatments she does and the rest goes to the other lady towards rent (I guess). It doesn't seem like much of a making to me? But anyway.. As I said, this lady wants to stay and offer her treatments on those 2 days.

The salon owner has told me it's completely up to me what I do, weather she stays or not. My concerns are 1. that means I won't be able to offer my treatments for 2 days as there is only room for 1 therapist, 2. I'm worried about conflict of interest as I too offer manicure pedicure (not acrylics or lashes though) however, the pro's I have of her staying are that 1. If she only wants max 20% of treatments, that could potentially help me out with the rent I'm paying, 2. Acrylics and lashes are not on my treatment menu, so I could offer these to clients.

Do I keep her or not? Would I be fair in asking her to maybe cutting down to a day or even half a day seeing as I am paying the rent and I also want the chance to build my clientele, being out of salon for 2 days because she is there won't be ideal for me? Would it also be fair in me asking her to just offer the treatments I don't? What would you consider a fair commission to offer her?

Any help please - I'm stuck!!

I suppose it depends on if you think you need all of those days and if you think you could fill them. If you already have a client base waiting then make the most of it. When I first started renting the room I'm in, i rented it for four days and it's taken a good long while to fill up that time with clients. I wish I'd started with only renting it for two or three days, I would've saved time and money. Do you mean, you have to give 20% off what you take to the salon owner? That seems like a good deal! Good luck whatever you decide!! Xx

Latest posts

Back