Renting a table

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teena_B

Reaction score
Hi
I have done a search, and have found out some of my questions, but here's a bit more that I need answered, so if you can help, I'd be really grateful!

I may have the chance of renting a nail table in a beauty salon. It's in a suburb of a large town, they said I could start with one day a week, to fit around my current job, then work up to full time as my client list grows. They want to charge £20 per day.

My question is, is this the going rate, considering I have to supply all my own products?

Also, can someone either answer or point me in the direction of a thread that answers this - what are the questions I should be asking? If this goes ahead, I want to get everything sorted before agreeing to anything.

Thanks people!:hug:

Hi Tina,

I think £20 for the day is very reasonable, particularly when they are being so flexible with when you work. Going by previous threads, 25% of takings is often the going rate. If you are worried that you may not have many clients to start with, how about suggesting a % of your takings rather than a set amount. That way, although you may be paying more if you are busy, you have a safety net if things are slow. Good luck!

PS: Do a search under '25%' or 'renting' and quite a few threads come up.

£20 A DAY sounds quite reasonable to me.

Good luck let us know what you decide!!!

Amb x

Sorry can not help but good luck when is your next ezflow course day2?

caz xxx

Teena_B said:
Hi
I have done a search, and have found out some of my questions, but here's a bit more that I need answered, so if you can help, I'd be really grateful!

I may have the chance of renting a nail table in a beauty salon. It's in a suburb of a large town, they said I could start with one day a week, to fit around my current job, then work up to full time as my client list grows. They want to charge £20 per day.

My question is, is this the going rate, considering I have to supply all my own products?

Also, can someone either answer or point me in the direction of a thread that answers this - what are the questions I should be asking? If this goes ahead, I want to get everything sorted before agreeing to anything.

Thanks people!:hug:

I am renting for £20 per day too...I start this Friday with a Grand Opening...

The £20 per day does include the receptionist and tea and coffee. I had to provide the table too (bought one yesterday!!).

I have an understanding with them that I will start initially for a couple of days and then increase as I build up my client base so eventually they get £100 per week. But they do understand that if it is a flop and I don't have a single customer then I cannot pay them!!!

But it won't be...it will be a huge success...I will hopefully have a local MP coming to the opening too!! And the papers if I can manage it!!

Oh that sounds great let us know how you get on what a good positive out look you have well done.

Caz xxx

wondernail said:
I am renting for £20 per day too...I start this Friday with a Grand Opening...

The £20 per day does include the receptionist and tea and coffee. I had to provide the table too (bought one yesterday!!).

I have an understanding with them that I will start initially for a couple of days and then increase as I build up my client base so eventually they get £100 per week. But they do understand that if it is a flop and I don't have a single customer then I cannot pay them!!!

But it won't be...it will be a huge success...I will hopefully have a local MP coming to the opening too!! And the papers if I can manage it!!

£20 is very good remember you will bring in clients for them too! Are you thinking of having a little working agreement?Day 2 ezflow good for you who are you trainning with?

absolutly fab! said:
£20 is very good remember you will bring in clients for them too! Are you thinking of having a little working agreement?Day 2 ezflow good for you who are you trainning with?

So I went to visit the salon, the owner wasn't there ( I knew this before I went, am gonna call her tomorrow). The only problem I have with it, is that it's extremely damp and hot, it's like walking into a sauna! They are using a portable gas heater which I think is causing most of the problem.

I am worried that this will damage my products, and also make my l&p difficult to work with. Also, the table is right in the window, with the drawers that are open type, nowhere to lock things away, and they'll be in direct sunlight. I could buy another table, but there are some shops in the city in an area that is being regenerated, at around the same price!!! I am wondering if I would be better to take a chance with one of those? The obvious problem here is that I would have to pay full monthly/weekly charges straight away, but in the salon I can start one day a week.

Opinions on the above greatly appreciated!:wink2:

Teena_B said:
So I went to visit the salon, the owner wasn't there ( I knew this before I went, am gonna call her tomorrow). The only problem I have with it, is that it's extremely damp and hot, it's like walking into a sauna! They are using a portable gas heater which I think is causing most of the problem.

I am worried that this will damage my products, and also make my l&p difficult to work with. Also, the table is right in the window, with the drawers that are open type, nowhere to lock things away, and they'll be in direct sunlight. I could buy another table, but there are some shops in the city in an area that is being regenerated, at around the same price!!! I am wondering if I would be better to take a chance with one of those? The obvious problem here is that I would have to pay full monthly/weekly charges straight away, but in the salon I can start one day a week.

Opinions on the above greatly appreciated!:wink2:

That's a tough one.

Firstly, the heat is definitely a problem. Maybe you could work with the owner to sort out some other form of heating? I use oil-filled radiators which are fab. If you are only going to be in the salon 1 day a week for a while, perhaps it would be best to take your powders & such home with you. It would reduce the risk to them if they would otherwise be left in light & heat, etc & you wouldn't need to worry about kids messing or things getting stolen while you aren't there. Failing that, don't they have a storage room?

Secondly, I'd check out the options with the new shops. It doesn't hurt to get info so find out what you can! That way you can make an informed decision.

HTH

What about offering them a percentage of what you take ?

I think this is a sensible option. When you start out you may not even cover the £20 a day. Ask for a trail period and a percentage. I paid 25% on nails only, art work was my own money and retail.
jac extreme said:

but when she is earning a grand a week it will be more expensive!!!!!! sometimes go by your gut instinct. Regarding stock i would allways take it home, learnt a big mistake there!!!if heating is a problem and l&p is used why not used gel? o by the way have you negotated to have your hair done free of coursre!!!;
jac extreme said:

Thanks for your help guys, I've decided not to go with this salon. I am going to bide (sp?) my time, and go mobile for a while, also gonna look into the shops, but don't think I can do this yet, I got no money!!! I did a friend's rebalance last night and it went rather badly, so I think I'm gonna need more rebalance practise before stepping into something big.

Love to you all:Kissing:

I rented a desk in a salon last year at £25 a day,which i thought was really reasonable.However i was told there was a list of clients waiting only i never actually saw the list or the clients.I spent 3 days a week there doing my own nails and paying rent out of my own pocket rather than from my takings.However i have to say the owner was really understanding and we changed our agreement to 15% of my takings.This was a better idea as it meant if i made no money from doing nails neither did she.Eventually no clients along with the travel and pressure put on me to do hours i couldn't commit to(especially when there was no clients on my regular days)i left.I am now in process of owning my own salon which i am currently working in.But i would advise a % rather than rent.Hope this helps.x

Latest posts

Back