Repair on Gelish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waxpert

Reaction score
I did some gelish on a client 2 weeks ago her thumb has chipped & she's off to a wedding.

At this point I'd usually soak off the whole lot & reapply but I really don't have the time. Obviously there is some growth of the nail too.

Is it possible to apply a layer of basecoat over current gelish apply color & then topcoat or would you completely remove that nail & re-apply?

She's booked in at the end of the week anyway to have it redone.

I hope this doesnt sound like a really dumb question! Usually i'd just soak off & re-apply.

Thank you x

Just to confirm its just on one nail x

I would buff the nail just slightly all over, and then over the chip to level it down so that it doesn't notice as a dip when you put the extra colour on, then 2 colour coats and Top it off. I've done this before to my own nail, not using foundation, and it was fine. I think the foundation is best used for bonding to the natural nail, but there would be no harm in using it..

Thanks Tiggerlady, really helpful x x

Thanks Tiggerlady, really helpful x x

Great question as I've tried it on myself before (1st finger on right hand which ALWAYS annoyingly goes first) but I found it chipped again quite quickly. That was without the foundation on the repair. However, maybe it would be better to put the foundation on first. Can anyone else give any advice on this? Would the foundation be OK to put on the whole nail even over the existing gelish?

Great question as I've tried it on myself before (1st finger on right hand which ALWAYS annoyingly goes first) but I found it chipped again quite quickly. That was without the foundation on the repair. However, maybe it would be better to put the foundation on first. Can anyone else give any advice on this? Would the foundation be OK to put on the whole nail even over the existing gelish?

Tigger lady is right you only need the foundation on the natural nail but the existing colour needs buffing and cleansing prior to re application to make sure its clean and there are no oils left behind, tho you can use the foundation all over if you want to... personally I would just soak off and re-do if you buff the colour down a bit it soaks off really quickly and if you have the led lamp it should only take ten mins tops :)

Tigger lady is right you only need the foundation on the natural nail but the existing colour needs buffing and cleansing prior to re application to make sure its clean and there are no oils left behind, tho you can use the foundation all over if you want to... personally I would just soak off and re-do if you buff the colour down a bit it soaks off really quickly and if you have the led lamp it should only take ten mins tops :)

Tried this method last night for my own nail repair. I did find that the rest of the nail was quite raised though as there was quite a build up of colour as I didn't like just putting the colour on the chipped area so I then used some structure gel on that area to fill it in, then another colour coat - not sure if this is correct but I'll soon find out if it lasts or not ...

Latest posts

Back