Replacing a lost toenail

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseDavidNailDesign

Reaction score
Hello everyone
I have a pedicure client who has lost 3/4 of her biggest toenail. She said that first it cracked and then a week later a large piece of the nail had fallen off. The first year she was seeing me she had a bad nail infection on her entire right foot, all toenails. She used lamisil for 90 days and the infection went away, but i still had her using tea tree oil to keep the infection at bay. The big toe however did still have some thickness to it and some discoloration. The nail does not hurt at all and she has no broken skin or redness, swelling, etc.
I would like to sculpt a nail or perform a tip and overlay for the big toe. Does anyone have any experience with this problem or any advice for me. I know nail products do not bond with skin so i think i will have to apply a tip to whats left of the nail, but i don't want to make the problem worse.
If you broke a toenail into 3 zones, she would only have 1/2 of zone 3 remaining. I don't think the nail will grow back, and i don't know what to do.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance

I would be careful about doing anything with this toenail as it sounds like she could still havea slight infection on her big toe. Even though there is no swelling or redness, doesn't mean she is fine.

I personally would get her to go to a chiropedist or doctor to make sure she doesn;t have any residual infection left, before you can even think of doing anything to her toe nail. It is hard to say without seeing the toenail, but we aren't doctors, so my rule is, "if in doubt, don't!"

If she can come back to you with a doctors note to say she is fine, then i'm sure you can apply a tip and overlay to the nail and bed to beautify the toe.

hi i did a toe the way i would do a nail ,tipped it then did overlay on top.But it was damaged so i would check there was no infection there first.

"if in doubt, don't!"

i agree with talented talons.... check wit a doc 1st... you dont want to make things worse after treating her good so far.... always double check just to cover your back and if all is good go ahead with a tip & overlay :) xx

Hi

Get her to see doc make sure infection has cleared up and I find best way to deal with this problem is to sculpt.

THT
Dawnie x

I split half my toenail which came off in all 3 zones (not up to cuticle tho). Once the soreness had gone I sculpted the nail back on with acrylic. the form looked a bit dodgey but it worked ok. Was quite chuffed with it actually.

Ok....I just had to throw my two cents in here. I'm prepared for the yelling I'm more than likely going to get, so thats ok....let em rip!

Here is what I do in this situation. Yes, I have had clients come to me with toenails just like if not worse. Sit down and grab something, because what I do next, is gonna throw you for a loop.

I take my drill and file the thickness of that fungi'd toenail down. Sounds gross, and yes it truly is, but this is/was the request of the client! Then once the nail is filed down to nothing but infected nail bed, (no blood or nasty stuff mind you), I go ahead and carefully sculpt an acrylic toenail on the top of the toe.

After I am all done, everything I use on that particular client is thrown out. Including my cheap acrylic brushes I buy just for this. At first, I was way grossed out about this, but after watching the clients face light up for the first time cause she can wear sandals and her feet don't look nasty made it all worth it.

Okay, guys and gals, I know you all are sitting there shaking your head...so lemme hear it! Anyway, hope this helps! Good Luck!

Hello everyone
I have a pedicure client who has lost 3/4 of her biggest toenail. She said that first it cracked and then a week later a large piece of the nail had fallen off. The first year she was seeing me she had a bad nail infection on her entire right foot, all toenails. She used lamisil for 90 days and the infection went away, but i still had her using tea tree oil to keep the infection at bay. The big toe however did still have some thickness to it and some discoloration. The nail does not hurt at all and she has no broken skin or redness, swelling, etc.
I would like to sculpt a nail or perform a tip and overlay for the big toe. Does anyone have any experience with this problem or any advice for me. I know nail products do not bond with skin so i think i will have to apply a tip to whats left of the nail, but i don't want to make the problem worse.
If you broke a toenail into 3 zones, she would only have 1/2 of zone 3 remaining. I don't think the nail will grow back, and i don't know what to do.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance

would a tip actually fit on her toenail?

I lost a whole nail (one next to big toe) about 5 months ago for what reason I do not know...but it HAS grown back ok and in much less time than a toe nail normally takes to grow, which I am very pleased about. I just used a antibacterial cream on it and it is fine now....but I did NOT do any enhancement at all as I was concerned that this might make it worse. If any water or liquid of any kind got under the sculpted/tipped nail, then I might have developed a fungal infection...warm, dark and moist...all the right conditions to help fungus to develop:eek: .

Latest posts

Back