Resistant grey and Majirel advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jinnyjinbob

Reaction score
I have taken cuttings to do a strand tests for a client whose hair is course and resistant with shades of white and darker grey.
She wants to achieve level 9 highlights to soften and break up her grey. Just wanted some clarification / advice to make sure I'm heading in right direction please.

Am I right in thinking I shouldn't go lighter than a level 8 due to lack of pigment in higher shades so it wouldn't cover? And also with the grey being cool should I be using a warmer shade?
The salon uses majirel but I'm wella trained so excuse me if I'm a bit off the mark...

I have done three test peices, none of which have come out as I'd like and iv now run out of hair to test on. All used 20vol peroxide by the way.
The first I used a 9/0 maj which only touched the darker peices of her hair, and left the white hairs still white, resulting in a translucent effect.
The 8/0 maj just took everything to a murky grey and looked darker than it had originally started.
And I also did one piece with bleach and as I expected this just lifted to a toneless white all over.

I'm now thinking maybe a 9/3 or 8/3 to replace some of the lost pigment of white hair? Scared of it looking too golden?

I welcome any help... X

Try 9.3 30vol x

What youve explained is exactly what my moms hair is like. We do 8.3 20vol foils flooded with 9.3 30vol and all greys covered and turns out great! Ill try n find pic if i can x

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek mobile app

(This is only a cut and finish before and after, not a colour before and after)
So it is still light with the 9.3 and 30vol
Xxx
Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek mobile app

Attachments

• 1396441374400.jpg
    1396441374400.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 2,142
Whats the natural level and % of white hair?x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

80% white, 20% being the darker grey colour.
In terms of a depth it looks about the lightness of a 8 or 9 but it's obviously grey not blonde. Hope I'm making sense?

Thanks for your suggestions so far by the way x

Ok I'm thinking 8.03 + 20vol.

You could also use 8.3 but the .03 shades are a softer gold.

Majirel should cover up to a level 9, but I presume the coarse texture made the 9 shade too transluscent (otherwise 9.3 and 9.03 are also options). Hth x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Some have said 20 vol, some have said 30. The test pieces I did with 20vol hardly touched it. So would the 30 be better? x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

I trained using majirel and was always told you use 20vol to cover grey,30vol will cover but can b translucent x

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back