Retail nightmare

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charisma

Reaction score
i have a girl who rents a room off me, she wants to start selling retail that will be placed within the salon, rather than in the room that she rents off me, but i dont no how it works. Do i let her sell retail and thats it, or do i charge her for the extra space that the retail is taking up, or a percentage of every product that she sells.
not sure what to do.
please help
:confused:

A percentage in my opinion is the way to go :)

is this what would normally happen, or am i being really cheecky expecting her to pay a percentage, and what sort of percentage would be acceptable.
thank-you

I am allowed a corner shelf in the salon where i rent a room for no extra charge.

However, its up to you. Do you have the spare space?

If you don't want her products in the salon, tell her she must keep them in her room. If you don't mind, then let her have a section.

If you want a percentage i would go low personally, bout 10%, as she is already paying for the room.

HTH

I rent a space within a salon i too have a stand with my retail products on which i dont get charged extra for also she doesnt take a percentage of the products i sell because we worked out by the time i had payed postage on the products and payed my percentage and tax etc.the profit i was making from the retail products was not worth it at all it was pence. Plus the salon owner see's it as she has more to offer clients and it looks very proffessional. Hope this helps :)

You could work it like if one of your members of staff recommends and then sells a product on her behalf, they get a commission from her, and if she sells it off her own back, then she would not have to pay out anything? motivates your staff to then sell her products, so in the long run she would be better off. Not sure how you/she would feel about this.

I would just say its fine if she wants a retail section but it has to be in her room!
I too rent a beauty room and would only have a retail section in my room (if I had one)
I dont think its fair to expect reception or/& other staff to be trained/ know what products to recommend, be in charge of taking money, answering questions about products etc, when the girl who rents the room is busy doing her treatments in her room!
You could maybe suggest she put up a poster outside saying "retail beauty products available please speak to ....." that way passing clients will be aware.

Love Emma x:hug:x

Last edited:
yeah i think it would cause a problem to other members of staff who may not know anything about the products or benefits of them, so if she were busy it's taking up time of the other staff there who may recommend wrong products or just not have as much of an interest as her.
If its causing you a headache, i would keep the retail products in her room but ask her to put together a 'portfolio' of retail products with explanations and prices etc in a display folder with photos? That way it can be left in reception for clients to peruse and then they can specifically speak to her about something they have seen of interest when she's free and that way they are aware that there are products for sale there in her room...xXx

I had a tester stand and a retail cabinet in the salon I previously worked in and paid nothing. There was plenty of room and tbh if the range is well known it actually in your best interest to have it in the salon with as much promotion as possible.

The salon owner got a lot of new business just of the back of me stocking Dermalogica. People who would never have come into the salon had it not been to buy products then start taking price lists, booking in to have there hair done, telling their friends etc.

I would of been pretty miffed if she had asked for some sort of rental agreement on it seeing as Id always help out and answer phone, make drinks etc if I was free.

However whenever I wasn't there it could be a problem if someone wanted information on a certain product or would buy something they'd seen in a magazine but not necessarily for their skin type. The girls would sell the products on my behalf but sometimes forget to mention it for ages and Id only become aware when doing stock takes !

maybe allow her a spot on the counter for testers? that way her products will be noticed by every client but in order to buy the item they would have to go to her room and speak to her. that puts her responsible for purchase, distribution, stock, etc. but you're being the good salon owner and offering more "retail" to your clients?
idk, just a thought on how to compromise.

I sell retail products from my beauty room but you dont make much of a profit on them because of the cost plus the postage and packaging. I wouldn't expect the girl i rent from to charge me on these as well since i already rent a room from her. The other problem you might find apart from staff not knowing whats what with the products in the hairdressers is if any of the products go walkies

I have my retail stock outside in a lockable display cabinet. I don't get charged extra for this.

Before you make your final decision, you might want to ask the girl to check whether her insurance will cover her for stock outside of her treatment room. In addition, would the insurance cover her if your staff has access to the stock to help her sell it.

When researching my insurance, most would agree to the first scenario but not to allow anyone else access to the stock cabinet apart from the insured and/or their staff.

Thank-u to every1 who replied.
I did think it was cheeky 2 ask for a charge, but it was something that was suggested to me.
I am glad I decided to ask on here. All of ur comments have been really helpful, and i feel asking her to keep the retail in the room, with a sample shelf within the salon is a great idea. That way the retail can be sold with-out the space in the salon being taken for somthing i might need in the futor.

Thank-u again to every1 :)

Latest posts

Back