Returning clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daffyxoxo

Sue
Reaction score
Hi, I’m feeling at a bit of a loss on how to build returning clients or generate add in sales. I am not a natural sales person and worry about appearing pushy...I don’t really know what to say. Has anyone got any advice about how to develop this skill?

Thanks all

Hey hun,

This is normal you just have to find your confidence and know you are great at what you do.

Once you believe you are the best the client will ever get you will have no problem keeping clients.

With taking and interacting with people you need to keep natural eye contact, keep a smile and just be calm and normal.

Some clients are really hard to communicate with and that isn’t your fault it is just them. With clients like this try not to over talk just allow them to ask you questions obviously ask the normal question of how are you etc did you have a good new year, normally you know with these sort of questions if a client is willing to talk.

Honestly building is hard but it always picks up if you keep at it.

Try going to social evens and see if you can build your confidence.

Happy new year best of luck xx

I can’t give advice on sales as it’s something I don’t really do other than cuticle oil to make my work easier!
Re returning clients, you just need to ensure you offer a good service and experience.
What services do you offer and do any stand out over others in your area?
Are you asking clients to rebook before they leave?

When I finally worked out the courage to ask if the clients wanted to book their infill it made all the difference. Most say yes so now I have mostly returning customers. I've been doing this full time almost a year (in February), and I feel I could have reached this point in my career faster if I'd been a better hustler lol. So I suggest working up some courage and ask them if they'd like to rebook.

It makes a big difference to your return bookings if you just ask every client at the end of their session "Shall I book you in for next month?"
If they don't book there and then they tend to forget or leave it for longer than they should. It also avoids your good clients phoning for a last minute appointment and you can't fit them in.

At the end of your service. Give a little aftercare speech and then say... "I recommend your next appointment in 2 to 3 weeks. Do you want me to book you in now. Do you have an preference on days?" Xxx

The way to build clients is to be good at nails. There's just no other way, imo. You can talk your butt off but the client is there for beautiful nails.

Most clients like to be pampered and want the best stuff so it takes a little asking upfront about what products they want. Ask do they want "this" and explain why its better before you start your service. Thats usually the best way to upsell.

I teach my staff that their client is paying for a professional service. They obviously want to know about treatments that we offer, otherwise they wouldn't be coming in. It's not logical to pay for a mani and not be interested in a gel application, or to have 9 gorgeous nails and not get an enhancement on a broken nail. You have to think about value, sometimes it's better value to spend a bit more.

You should focus on aftercare. At the end of the mani you should tell your client when she needs to have her gels removed and get that booked in so she's not looking scruffy. Ask if the same day and time will suit her and check you're availability. When you're getting that booked, ask if she wants a re-application at the same time.

Concentrate on getting your clients rebooked First. Once you've had them return a couple of times you can start upselling. Your client is most influenced by one of these three factors 1) what's new 2) what other people are trying 3) not being left out? You need to chat to your client to establish in your mind whether she is a trend setter and wants to try new things - a newly released or daring colour or shape, or whether she is influenced by others "my clients are asking for X" or "pretty much all of my clients are having an IBX as part of their treatment now, it makes such a difference".

You also need to think about linked sales. In Starbucks the staff are trained which food goes best with which drink based on sales so they know for instance that the most popular purchase with say a latte is a raspberry muffin. So every latte customer not asking for food will be asked would you like a raspberry muffin. Clever no?

Finally you have to flip your reluctance to discuss or suggest treatments with your clients on its head. How does your client feel if you don't do this? Does she feel judged? Does she think that you don't want her in your salon?. I have a client who told me that she wasn't happy with her hairdresser and wanted a change. Her complaint? "I think I'm a bit too old and unfashionable for them. I don't think they are very interested in me". Because they didn't try and suggest new things to her, she felt unwanted and was looking elsewhere. So don't risk losing clients because yoiu don't seem to want them to return.

Last edited:
Wow I really appreciate all your different views on this. I currently only offer gel polish and removal..your points make perfect sense and have really helped me think about aftercare advise and re-booking in a more positive way. In fact I had a breakthrough today and actually have a client re-booked for three weeks time..it feels very good. Thank you all

Latest posts

Back