Returning from maternity advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

High Hopes

Reaction score
hi everyone,
I am looking for some guidance. I started working at a salon in 2012 and left to go on maternity leave in October last year. It was agreed by myself and my employer that I would take my 9 months statutory and then an extra 3 months unpaid.

I was working 24 hours per week before I left. My employer contacted me in September to discuss my returning hours and offered me 32 hours PER MONTH. The hours were sporadic and meant that 2 weeks of each month I would only be working 3 hours. I went in for a meeting on the 14th October and we agreed that she would try to give me at least one 9 hour shift per week. She was enthusiastic about me returning and mentioned that a lot of clients had been asking after me. I left the meeting with her promising to contact me by the weekend.

I am still waiting for her to contact me now.

When I left my employer employed a new member of staff. I am concerned that there are now not enough hours for me to return, my colleges have confirmed that the salon isn't busy and that they are fighting for clients. I have spoken to acas and know my rights but am unsure how to handle it from here.

I do not want to go back to doing 24 hours a week as I am hoping to build up my clients at home as I have just had a room built sprcifically for that but I did want to keep some hours at the salon as I enjoy the company and would like some form of guaranteed income. My boss is aware I also work from home as I always have done and we have a contract drawn up regarding the salons clients etc.

What should my next move be? I have now effectively been out of maternity for a month without income. Any advice would be gratefully received

Xxx

I believe, as you took a year out she does not have to take you back at your old hours but check on that.

But you are saying you don't want your previous hours anyway as you want to build up your home business.
You cant have it all. That's a bit have your cake and eat it really.

I have spoken to acas and they have assured me that although I can't ask for my exact hours back , which is fine, I do have to be offered like for like. I don't think the fact I took my full year affects that.

I don't agree that it's having my cake and eating it as I have always worked for myself alongside my salon Job. A lot of people do. My boss took me on knowing this.

I'm really asking where I should go from here in regards to contacting my boss , how long do I leave it. I feel like I'm out of sight out of mind. I'm also wondering if she's keeping me on the back burner until work picks up in December, by which time I will have been 2 months late going back into employment.

Then call a meeting with her asap and explain to her.

If she is a small salon owner she unfortunately may not be aware of her obligations to you.

Did she not take the other therapist on as maternity cover?

Citizens Advice website

Attachments

• 1447679301662.jpg
    1447679301662.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 1447679317595.jpg
    1447679317595.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 15
Soz attached same pic twice

Attachments

• 1447679417205.jpg
    1447679417205.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 13
No which I think is her problem now , the other member of staff is employed permanently.

Yes I think I need to speak to her face to face again .

I don't want to make things difficult for her , and I think the fact that I would like less hours than before will work in her favour now.

Thank you for your help , I will have a read through xx

There's lots of factors there and building up your own clients is a cross of interest when u work in a salon!
The owner is clearly trying to get you to leave I'd say and really she's protecting herself and business.
You have to decide what's right for you and if that's working from home concentrate your energy a on building that.

Thank you for your input I understand what you are saying. But from my point of view I have always done my own work , Infact all of the girls at the salon do. I was very honest in my initial interview and have always respected my boss and her clients. I have never and would never try to poach and I honestly do not think she sees me in any way as a threat.

The only thing that has changed is that I have left to have a baby. When I say I want to build up my clients that's purely because I know she cannot offer me 24 hours a week (which was what I was on before) so I need to make up for that lost income.

I have emailed her now to request another meeting

Xx

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back