Returning to work after having baby.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopi679

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Ive not been on here for a while but knew I could return for some sound advice and hopefully reassurance!
I had my first baby, a little boy 5 weeks ago (and he is gorgeous of course!)

I have a log cabin in my back garden that I work from, I do beauty, holistic and nail treatments but Im really nervous about returning to work even though I am only going to be doing a couple of eves to begin with.

I feel I am rushing back to work a bit as I dont want to keep my clients waiting for treatments such as waxing and beauty treatments as I have a regular well established client base for this and as many people live locally they will often see me out with the baby and ask when I am returning.
I keep saying in a few weeks but am not sure if this is too early.

How did anyone else find returning to work in this industry so soon after having a baby.

Would love to hear your experiences.

Thanks in advance.xx

Hi hun and belated Congratulations!!

Personally I dont think there is too early or too late, Its when you feel ready hun.

my advice would be if your not sure dont do it, this time with little one is precious as you will never get it back. If you can afford to not work, dont!

x

hi & congrats. i have just had a baby boy he is 5 months now. I started just doing my famiy at 1st just to refresh and build confidence and im back at work now, say 4 weeks. it really is down to how you feel and if you are ready. You may start and then realise its too soon but you won't reallynw untill you try but don't feel rushed as if your clients are loyal they will wait xx

5 weeks?

Wow!

Our maternity leave in Canada is a year long. I was fortunate enough to have the choice, so I just went back to work a month ago and our baby is 21 months.

Enjoy your baby, your clients will come back when you are ready to go back to work.

Hiya,
Congratulations, enjoy every minute you have with you baby as it goes so quick. I had my first baby and he's just turning 8 months old now. i only went back to work 2 weeks ago, i wish that i could have stayed off longer to enjoy him more, im doing 3 full days a week and on 1 of them as i do a late night i dont see him when i get in as he's in bed. i had to go back because we needed the money but if your ok then wait until YOUR ready, your clients will prob understand if they have had children themselves and if they were always coming back to you then im sure they wouldnt mind waiting.
Dont rush back because you dont want to regret it later on. i have felt abit bad going back now as my son started teething and come down with a bug at the same time, he's over that now but he's now got a chesty cough, my dad looked after him for me yesterday as i was at work and my partner has been away this weekend, and my dad said that he was very grumpy and kept calling for his mumma all day :sad:.

if you want to chat more just PM me. xx

Hi doll

I have a boy who will be 2 next wk and a wee girl 9 m ths. I have returned back to work only to get the adult company. I could tell you its easy to leave your baby but its not but we all need the money.... You will know when the time is wright but take one day at a time and pm me if you need to chat... xxxx

Tracy:Scared:

Thanks for your kind words everyone.
Its just really worrying when its your own business and you need to keep your clients to bring home the bacon as they say, but at the end of the day my little treasure comes first.....clients are replaceable but babys first days are not so think I might wait a few more weeks or just do a few really loyal clients here and there for a start. Thanks again.x

Hi COngrats,
I have had 3 babies.. and took 12 months off inbetween each. It is hard when you have to "give" your clients to another tech.. I searched for a tech that i was happy with and then took some of her cards and when it came close to the time I was finishing up i gave them out...
Having had 3 now I know how hard it is when they have been up all night..night after night and then you have to go to work all happy and try not to fall asleep.. then home to start all over again.. For me lack of sleep leads to post natal Depression so I was not taking any chances. Best thing i ever did...
Honestly it took me about 6 months to get my books full again...
My advise ( and it is only that)

When you feel ready open up one day.... when you are full on that day, you are coping and baby is coping away from you.... then think about another day..etc..
I made the mistake of opening 3 days straight off and sat there for hours inbetween clients doing nothing... I Work smarter now.

But like all the other ladies say... this is your life, family and business... DO what YOU feel comfortable... thats the main thing.
Good luck and let us know how you get on..
Stick to your guns... people will puch for other times and days.. you need to be strong and say "wednesday" is it.... like it or not
X Mel

I went back to work mobile eight weeks after having my little boy by caesarean which I'm not boasting about, actually looking back I think I was pretty stupid!

Like you I had a good base of regulars who relied on me for monthly waxing etc and I didn't want them to go elsewhere for too long.

I would say don't rush, our babies are only small for a little time and it's demanding enough being a mum without the added pressures of too many clients.

Best of luck with it all, especially your baby! x

Latest posts

Back