Rockstar question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tracys Beauty

Serenity Beauty Boutique
Reaction score
Hi I done a cnd shellac course last week with justine and going back the end of the month to do the shellac art course but wanted to Know before hand about rockstar nails,
I did some on my daughter and put the glitter on the cured base coat then I did 2 coats of topcoat, then I read somewhere that you put the glitter into a coat of colour, do you cure the colour coat first or put it on the uncured coat,

Thanks in advance Tracy x

When I do Rockstars,I do a base coat, cure it, a colour coat, cure it, add another colour coat, then glitter, then cure, then top coat & cure x

I just do base and cure, colour and cure, glitter and then topcoat and cure. You don't see much of the colour so i've only ever done one coat.

Thanks for replying so it doesn't really matter if it's in cured or non cured colour coat?
I'm going to do some on my toes tonight so I'll put a picture up

Tracy x

It is personal preference but I cure the colour coat first as it's a lot less messy. After it's cured the sticky layer is ideal for the glitter to stick to. I scrub the glitter in with a small brush and the coverage is excellent.

Look forward to seeing the pictures later x

Hi Tracy

Were you on the shellac course last Sat? So was I..

I have tried;

Base coat, cure for 10 sec, sprinkle glitter, top coat. I did find the top coat pulled bits of glitter off when applied so I ended up patching up & doing another top coat.

More successfully I did base coat, cure for 10 sec, coat of clearly pink & cure for 2 mins, sprinkle on glitter & top coat. The coat of colour seems to be stickier than base coat.

Caroline x x

If u press the glitter in, and use a soft brush to get the loose excess off, it won't pull off in your top coat. There is always a bit of loose pieces tho, so I have separate top coat for glitter! :) otherwise you might end up w glitter bits in your shellac French sets!

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

If u press the glitter in, and use a soft brush to get the loose excess off, it won't pull off in your top coat. There is always a bit of loose pieces tho, so I have separate top coat for glitter! :) otherwise you might end up w glitter bits in your shellac French sets!

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

Definitely keep a sep top coat!

Hi
1 base coat cure
Colour cure x2
Gliltter
Top coat and cure

Hi Tracy

Were you on the shellac course last Sat? So was I..

I have tried;

Base coat, cure for 10 sec, sprinkle glitter, top coat. I did find the top coat pulled bits of glitter off when applied so I ended up patching up & doing another top coat.

More successfully I did base coat, cure for 10 sec, coat of clearly pink & cure for 2 mins, sprinkle on glitter & top coat. The coat of colour seems to be stickier than base coat.

Caroline x x

Yes I was, I was at the back, which one were you sitting at?

Tracy x

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1338753320.801095.jpg.

These are my first rockstar toes on my daughter.

I find using the minimum amount of coats is the key. Too many and its more likely to chip...

Base coat cure 10 secs
1 colour coat and sprinkle glitter on top and press it down to smooth it out and cure for 2 mins
Remove hand from lamp and brush away excess glitter from the nail.
Apply 2 top coats.

Heres 1 of mine using only Negligee as the 1 colour coat, the glitter is purely this turquoise colour

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1338800761.064412.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1338800761.064412.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 181
Similar to a few on here i pick a colour closest to the glitter im using. So for blue i use purple purple and red i use wildfire. I then do base cure, one coat of colour cure, gently pat glitter in brush off excess with soft brush then top coat cure, then another top coat cure, and dsperse. Heres some i did yesterday jubilee style :)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1338802864.551039.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1338802864.551039.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 167
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1338802882.936355.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1338802882.936355.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 143
I find using the minimum amount of coats is the key. Too many and its more likely to chip...

Base coat cure 10 secs
1 colour coat and sprinkle glitter on top and press it down to smooth it out and cure for 2 mins
Remove hand from lamp and brush away excess glitter from the nail.
Apply 2 top coats.

Heres 1 of mine using only Negligee as the 1 colour coat, the glitter is purely this turquoise colour

They are really nice, I love the colour x

Similar to a few on here i pick a colour closest to the glitter im using. So for blue i use purple purple and red i use wildfire. I then do base cure, one coat of colour cure, gently pat glitter in brush off excess with soft brush then top coat cure, then another top coat cure, and dsperse. Heres some i did yesterday jubilee style :)

They look fab, I did a purple glitter on a nail pop today but think I needed to use darker colour as I used beau but the glitter didn't cover well, I'll try purple purple tomorrow x

They look fab, I did a purple glitter on a nail pop today but think I needed to use darker colour as I used beau but the glitter didn't cover well, I'll try purple purple tomorrow x

Aww thanks hun :) yes definitely use purple purple honey it will look ace :) x x x

I've had a play around with my glitters and used them with a colour underneath the glitter and some with just glitter but I think I prefer it with the colour as they look brighter,

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1338936882.866467.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1338936882.866467.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 192
I find if you pat or rub enough glitter into the nail it doesn't really matter if you use a colour coat or clear to do RockStar! However I did find when displaying them on clear colour pops you get a better finish (deeper colour) by using a similar colour!
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1338958637.754511.jpg

Jo Jo can I ask where you get your glitters from?

Latest posts

Back