Room rental costs

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lolaw

Reaction score
Hi, Im new to this industry and I've just been to view a treatment room for rent in a busy hairdressing salon in city centre Edinburgh. They are asking for £300 pw rental and Im not sure if this is too high and if I'll be able to make enough money. Im a beauty therapist that does all the basic beauty stuff plus Calgel nails and spray tanning. Can anyone help please!!!:confused:

Quite simple really, walk away from it, that is WAY TOO MUCH! £300 per week!

Think about how many treatments a week you would need to do, then add to that 6 weeks annual leave that you won't be earning and add that too.
Add to that your products.
Add to that parking, petrol, etc.

What do you think is reasonable? Yes, it might be in a prime spot, but what guarantees have you got that you will get anyone? will they do your promotion for you? Your bookings, answer the phone, etc.

i was just outside the center of my town and payed £20 per day my friend is smack in the middle of my town and pays £25 per day so i think £300 per week is very overpriced

do they provide the products and equipment if not i wouldnt pay that much and look some where else theres been a few threads on this area go to search box at top and type wot you want to look up for more info i think from wot iv read it varies in price area to area or check out recruitments good luck g v

You could have your own shop for that lass! give it a miss!

Quite simple really, walk away from it, that is WAY TOO MUCH! £300 per week!

Think about how many treatments a week you would need to do, then add to that 6 weeks annual leave that you won't be earning and add that too.
Add to that your products.
Add to that parking, petrol, etc.

What do you think is reasonable? Yes, it might be in a prime spot, but what guarantees have you got that you will get anyone? will they do your promotion for you? Your bookings, answer the phone, etc.

That price will include all my electricity etc. but I would still need to supply all my own products. They will do the marketing, receoption, bookings etc and they said they will get all their hairdressers to sell my services and retail products etc?? They had a therapist until 3 weeks ago and they say they are turning down business at a fast rate

That is really high. What happens if you hit a lean patch and bookings are low? You have still got a huge rent to pay.

Find out why the last therapist left, and also what exactly the marketing includes. Is there any room for negotiation?

That is really high. What happens if you hit a lean patch and bookings are low? You have still got a huge rent to pay.

Find out why the last therapist left, and also what exactly the marketing includes. Is there any room for negotiation?

The marketing includes all my price lists, advertising on the side of the building, and a billboard outside and posters in the window. I might try and bargain with them when I phone him tomorrow and see if I can get it down a bit. Thanks for all the advice

if they are turning down business at a fast rate why don't you ask if you can work on a percentage? if they have that much business being turned down then they would jump at the chance? if they aren't interested then i would suggest they are being rather economical with the truth!

I would also insist on looking at their appointment book to see how many appointments the past therapist had a week on average.

she may have taken all of her clients with her to another premises, so don't rely on all of them coming to you.

I really think that the rent is way too much and that I would still baulk at half that.

i think its very very expensive.

£300 per week x 4 weeks = £1200 a month

£1200 x 12 months = £14400

Roughly your rent would be £14400 a year

Thats a lot of dosh!!!

Hun, it might be tempting, especially if they are telling you they are turning business away, but give it a miss. For all you know they may only be saying that to get you to take the room. You could buy your own salon for that money, and if you did take it, you wouldnt see any of your profits.

I am on a busy high street, ok its not city centre but its certainly a busy high street. I rent a room within a hairdressers, and I pay £50 per week. This includes all bills except my phone bill, and I buy my own products etc.

Dont be tempted into that one hun, look around for a better deal, maybe consider buying your own salon.

Woe girl

That is way toooooo high stay away from it there ripping you off.

I rent two treatment rooms and enough space for a reception and manicure/pedicure area and I only pay £100 a week and I manage to earn almost a weeks rent over a weekend, now and then that is what you have to think about.
How many clients you need to do in a day and over the week for your rent.

you.ll be worn out girl its just not worth it trying to make ends meet, ive done 5 clients in one day and I was knackerd by the end of it all lol.

I would recommend looking around for something that is reasonable around your budget

Good luck

I agree on the percentage suggestion - that way neither of you will loose!! I have done that for a year now in a lovely hotel in a historic market town. We have now after a year of figures settled on a rent. They launder and supply all towel, elec heating and manage my bookings at reception, also host my website and I am paying £85 a week. And some weeks I have grossed just over 800 quid - on my own in 4 days!! - yes I agreee it is nackering!!

My advise would be steer clear or negotiate down - alot!!!!

good luck!

that is called ripping you off! sorry hun you can do without that. thats more rent than i pay for my house!!!:eek: :hug:

Thanks for all your advice, I think the general consensus is to steer clear so I am going to keep my eye out for something a bit more reasonable. Thanks again Lola xx

Thanks for all your advice, I think the general consensus is to steer clear so I am going to keep my eye out for something a bit more reasonable. Thanks again Lola xx

good luck hun, if you really want a room in a salon i would be proactive about it, get your yellow pages out and decide on an area and call around, could be there is a room that isn't used then you can negotiate a bit more, thats what i did , took about 30 calls but then two came back to me and i found my little rooms xxx
:)

I would ring them up and tell them that you are considering taking the room, but not at that price, and see what they say.

Hi, I have a salon with 3 treatment rooms, 2 nail stations, 2 sunbed rooms and one shower room converted to a spray tan area. This is as well as a reception/shop area and a quiet down time area. It is on a busy high street and costs £560 all in eg rent and rates. Consider how much space you yourself could rent out for just an extra £260.
Quids in I reckon!!

Latest posts

Back